Notices

V-Hull vs. Cat Hull

Old 10-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: V-Hull vs. Cat Hull

Originally Posted by expresscat39
I guarantee you when that boat smacked back to the water Johnny has those throttles pumping forward.
MISSION CONTROL...This is the space mission BACARDI requesting permission to BLAST OFF !!
Old 10-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i'll take my 30 spectre in upto 3ftrs over a v any day...not to mention bang for the buck...whats it gonna cost to make a 30-32 ft v run over 100 mph...i know i paid less for my entire pkg then a few of my friends paid for engines.
Attached Thumbnails V-Hull vs. Cat Hull-spectrebern92.jpg  
Old 10-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by expresscat39
I guarantee you when that boat smacked back to the water Johnny has those throttles pumping forward.
The boat stalled upon landing and the next wave covered them they popped up fired the motors and put it to the dash!
Old 10-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cat over 60mph and on top of water will ride better than the v. I have a 36 cat and 50v nortech, although the 50 has every amenity in the world and runs 102mph the cat at 80-90 will be smoother and out perform the v, ran thru 4-5' seas at the Chicago poker run at 100-110mph safely. a 38' v would of only been able to run 70-80 maybe.By the way Bacardi is actually on its way down was nearly vertical coming out of the c ut with tides going out and big wind coming in . Dave handled it as always cool customer, would of scared me to death but then again I'm not David Scott.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
bullshirt...stay in the bay
Bay??? What bay??? Sorry Sandy Hook Bay is just a means to get out to the ocean, too bad there's no inlet in Sea Bright so I wouldn't have to waste my time in the bay. I've been running our NJ waters (yea the ones in YOUR back yard) for a very long time in a lot of defferent Vs, I've also raced a 36 Skater. You just need to get out there in a cat to know.

The only time we were able to LAP the Vs was when it was rough.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Bay??? What bay??? Sorry Sandy Hook Bay is just a means to get out to the ocean, too bad there's no inlet in Sea Bright so I wouldn't have to waste my time in the bay. I've been running our NJ waters (yea the ones in YOUR back yard) for a very long time in a lot of defferent Vs, I've also raced a 36 Skater. You just need to get out there in a cat to know.

The only time we were able to LAP the Vs was when it was rough.
No 36 Skater is going by a 41 Apache in rough water. 3 to 4 footers yes, but 5 to 6 no way.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wiggler4490
The cat over 60mph and on top of water will ride better than the v. I have a 36 cat and 50v nortech, although the 50 has every amenity in the world and runs 102mph the cat at 80-90 will be smoother and out perform the v, ran thru 4-5' seas at the Chicago poker run at 100-110mph safely. a 38' v would of only been able to run 70-80 maybe.By the way Bacardi is actually on its way down was nearly vertical coming out of the c ut with tides going out and big wind coming in . Dave handled it as always cool customer, would of scared me to death but then again I'm not David Scott.
I saw a couple big V's running at least that fast on that run. Doug's Cig for example.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by knockoff
This is going to seem like a total newbie question but, well, I'm a newbie...

What is the practical difference between a V and Cat hull of the same length? Handling? Stability? Plane out at different speeds? Cruise at different speeds? Fuel efficiency? One can handle bigger waves? One handles chop better? HP requirements?

Thanks.
Nice try knockoff. To much hot air in here for anyone to really remember you had a question. Since I own a V and have never ridden on a Cat I can't give you first hand knowledge of both. However, I have been around long enough to talk with folks who own Cats. Cat's have less hull in the water which in part (other factors too) give them more speed. They tend to ride on top of stuff which means a more comfortable ride in things like short chop. They turn ok, but they can be tricky. They tend to lean outside in a turn unless you are going real fast, then they lean in. But, yanking the wheel one way or another hard can get you into trouble.

V bottoms that are stepped airate the water and tend not to dig in like a non stepped V. They are riding on foam (so to speak). Hence they need more room to turn at speed (they can slideout or stuff a bow) unless you know how to position the drives and when to throttle and not. But they are more intuitive to turn than a Cat. It feels more natural.

The guys who have Cats that I talk too tell me that when the rough stuff is high enought to curl over the bow, they bring it in. V's tend to punch through that and keep going. A 36 or 40 foot cat probably takes a real real rough day to give it up. But if you are looking at a 24, 28 or 32 the V should keep you out longer.

My attempt to help with what I know. I see you are a trial member and probably are checking this site out for real info. Sometimes you can get real help. Hope I helped.

Oh yes, the same power in each - give the edge to the cat, gas usage is lower too.... Not sure about docking or trailering on a cat. It is wider but that may not mean much in docking. The cabins in V's are bigger foot for foot.

Last edited by nolimits; 10-08-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nolimits
Nice try knockoff. To much hot air in here for anyone to really remember you had a question. Since I own a V and have never ridden on a Cat I can't give you first hand knowledge of both.
I have first had knowledge of both, although my only cat experience has been with a 36 Skater racing 2 years in APBA. First off a Skater is probably one of the only cats that lean in during turns. True yanking the wheel can get you in trouble but if the boat is "set" there is nothing that will turn like a cat, step bottom Vs will not come close. Having said that, if you're carving the turn hard (flat water) and you get air chances are you're going over.....at least that has been my experience. In rough water you need to work the boat around the turn, but the same it true for Vs. Power wise, my choice for the untimate boat would naturally be the 36 Skater with 575s and 6s. I don't need to run more than 120 mph and the "package" will be indestructable.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by knockoff
What about in rougher water? Do a cat and V hull handle it the same?
I feel in rough Offshore conditions a deep V is superior. Here is a quality Offshore Powerboat heading out into those conditions on the Great Lakes. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 08-29-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: V-Hull vs. Cat Hull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.