Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   V-Hull vs. Cat Hull (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/113848-v-hull-vs-cat-hull.html)

knockoff 10-06-2005 05:53 PM

V-Hull vs. Cat Hull

This is going to seem like a total newbie question but, well, I'm a newbie...

What is the practical difference between a V and Cat hull of the same length? Handling? Stability? Plane out at different speeds? Cruise at different speeds? Fuel efficiency? One can handle bigger waves? One handles chop better? HP requirements?

Thanks.

WeaponX 10-06-2005 06:21 PM

Re: V-Hull vs. Cat Hull

Good Lord here we go again.
CATS ONLY!!!!! :evilb:

OU Want Some?!! 10-06-2005 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 3600cat
Good Lord here we go again.
CATS ONLY!!!!! :evilb:

EXACTLY!! :D

once you go cat.....you never go back!! :eureka:

The Menace 10-06-2005 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by OU Want Some

Hey OU that WAS my line. But you can use it becasue it is TRUE!

knockoff 10-06-2005 06:32 PM

LOL, smartasses...

I'm not looking to start a pissing contest by the 2 factions... just some generalizations that both would agree on...

LostinBoston 10-06-2005 06:48 PM

Cats are generaly faster and turn much tighter and handle much better then stepped v-hulls.

knockoff 10-06-2005 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
Cats are generaly faster and turn much tighter and handle much better then stepped v-hulls.

What about in rougher water? Do a cat and V hull handle it the same?

Comanche3Six 10-06-2005 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by knockoff

Deep V for the rough stuff

RedDog382 10-06-2005 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six

The bottom line here ... :D

ratman 10-06-2005 08:02 PM

deep v for a nice sized cabin for the ladies. hard to beat deep v in big water

The Menace 10-06-2005 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by RedDog382
The bottom line here ... :D

Reddog, during the fall poker run I passed you in Livingston Channel like you were sitting still. ooopps, you probabkly missed me. You guys were too busy trying to control your boats in all the cross wake.

Cats.

The Menace 10-06-2005 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by ratman
deep v for a nice sized cabin for the ladies. hard to beat deep v in big water

I have a queen sized bed.

The Menace 10-06-2005 08:43 PM

You have to keep the power up and stay on top. Turning in real heavy stuff can be tricky but you have to learn how to read the waves, turn and power accordingly.

The Menace 10-06-2005 08:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I also have a TG. The cat is way too much fun.

Comanche3Six 10-06-2005 08:49 PM

When the Atlantic Ocean gets rough Apache's rule the roost

The Menace 10-06-2005 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the Gun.

Again, the cat is way too much fun.

RedDog382 10-06-2005 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by expresscat39
Reddog, during the fall poker run I passed you in Livingston Channel like you were sitting still. ooopps, you probabkly missed me. You guys were too busy trying to control your boats in all the cross wake.

Cats.

Now I know what that blinding flash of white and blue lightning was that went by me!

Actually, I saw you coming and slowed down so you could catch me (I thought it was TizBad). :D :D

You do have a very nice boat. When I first got the 382 two years ago, I had Tony at Bruce Jones shop in Port Clinton do some glass work for me over there. I saw you and your boat there before it was painted.

My top end is unfortunatley limited by the Bravo drives and my limited income. The 382 ran 114 m.p.h. with 950 H.P. blower motors in it, but the previous owner went through 4 sets of drives in less than 75 hours.

I have a video of the OPT Miami race years ago that featured the 47 Apache INXS smoking all the top cats (Don Johnson and Kurt Russell in Team U.S.A., Al Copeland and Chuck Norris in Popeye's). The cats just couldn't keep up in the really rough stuff. Love that video!!!

mr_velocity 10-06-2005 09:35 PM

I'd take a 36 Skater with SSM6s over any 41' V in the rough stuff doesn't matter if it's my 41 Velocity or the old 41 Apache Warrior that used to run here in NJ. The Skater will be faster and more comfortable.

mr_velocity 10-06-2005 09:38 PM

I have a video of the OPT Miami race years ago that featured the 47 Apache INXS smoking all the top cats (Don Johnson and Kurt Russell in Team America, Al Copeland and Chuck Norris in Popeye's). The cats just couldn't keep up in the really rough stuff. Love that video!!!

You have any idea how much has changed since then? If you want to live in the past then you're right, if you live today you're wrong. As "not so long ago" as the early '90s Vs and Cats ran in the same class, think you will ever see that again? Nope cause the cats are running much faster than the Vs.

RedDog382 10-06-2005 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
You have any idea how much has changed since then? If you want to live in the past then you're right, if you live today you're wrong.

I know the technology has changed and I am not living in the past ... I just don't have 1/2 million dollars to drop on a Skater with Sterling power! :(

AIR TIME 10-06-2005 10:47 PM

ARRRRRR THATS because the vees have them there steppy thingmajigs so they can't turn real tight or go real fast in the rough with them new car seats :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ps :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D wish I had a new boat with steps my's going on 17 :eek:

RedDog382 10-06-2005 10:59 PM

expresscat39

Dennis,

Just wanted to thank you for your offer to pack my drive for shipping to Max Machine last winter. I built a crate and arranged shipping with another OSO member's logistics company.

I wasn't running hard in the LEOPA Fall Poker Run due to an oil temp problem in one motor so I was getting caught up in the slop. As you were approaching, I did get caught in a bad cross wake ... took it at the wrong angle and speed that laid me over on the starboard side. I did see you coming up from behind on my starboard side and honestly did this trying to stay out of your way. I definately did not want to cut in front of you!

GLH 10-06-2005 11:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)

No doubt... :D:D:D :drink:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...550whm_mhw.gif

The Menace 10-07-2005 06:49 AM

My top end is unfortunatley limited by the Bravo drives and my limited income. The 382 ran 114 m.p.h. with 950 H.P. blower motors in it, but the previous owner went through 4 sets of drives in less than 75 hours.

Pure Adrenalin's new top end is 130 mph.

My real point is every V, not just you alone, was having problems with the slop in Livingston Channel. We were just cruising enjoying the ride.

Try going to the custom XR's with the Imco lowers, Imco innards and modified caps. I have those on the CIg. Have not blown one yet.

RedDog382 10-07-2005 03:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)

more:

cowisl 10-07-2005 05:17 PM

Red Dog,

Is that a pic of the new reliable flipped over??

RedDog382 10-07-2005 07:01 PM

The firt pic is Popeye's. The second and third are the new Reliable. I was on one of the pace boats for the OSS race in St. Clair, MI in July when they went over. Fortunately no injuries. There were a couple threads from July where more pics were posted.

No malicious intent posting these ... just messin' with the cat guys! :D

Comanche3Six 10-07-2005 07:05 PM

I'd take a 36 Skater with SSM6s over any 41' V in the rough stuff doesn't matter if it's my 41 Velocity or the old 41 Apache Warrior that used to run here in NJ. The Skater will be faster and more comfortable.

bullshirt...stay in the bay

The Menace 10-07-2005 08:43 PM

I know the technology has changed and I am not living in the past ... I just don't have 1/2 million dollars to drop on a Skater with Sterling power! :(

There is nothing wrong with your boat. The classes, makes and styles of cats are just like the V's. There are a lot of V's you would not have for love or money. Cats are the same. Hitch a ride with Greg sometime.

The Menace 10-07-2005 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I guarantee you when that boat smacked the water Johnny had those throttles pumping forward.

berns29scarab 10-07-2005 09:44 PM

I guarantee you when that boat smacked back to the water Johnny has those throttles pumping forward.

MISSION CONTROL...This is the space mission BACARDI requesting permission to BLAST OFF !! :evilb:

berns29scarab 10-07-2005 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i'll take my 30 spectre in upto 3ftrs over a v any day...not to mention bang for the buck...whats it gonna cost to make a 30-32 ft v run over 100 mph...i know i paid less for my entire pkg then a few of my friends paid for engines.

WeaponX 10-08-2005 08:36 AM

I guarantee you when that boat smacked back to the water Johnny has those throttles pumping forward.

The boat stalled upon landing and the next wave covered them they popped up fired the motors and put it to the dash! :evilb:

Buddy OO 10-08-2005 09:06 AM

The cat over 60mph and on top of water will ride better than the v. I have a 36 cat and 50v nortech, although the 50 has every amenity in the world and runs 102mph the cat at 80-90 will be smoother and out perform the v, ran thru 4-5' seas at the Chicago poker run at 100-110mph safely. a 38' v would of only been able to run 70-80 maybe.By the way Bacardi is actually on its way down was nearly vertical coming out of the c ut with tides going out and big wind coming in . Dave handled it as always cool customer, would of scared me to death but then again I'm not David Scott.

mr_velocity 10-08-2005 12:56 PM

bullshirt...stay in the bay

Bay??? What bay??? Sorry Sandy Hook Bay is just a means to get out to the ocean, too bad there's no inlet in Sea Bright so I wouldn't have to waste my time in the bay. I've been running our NJ waters (yea the ones in YOUR back yard) for a very long time in a lot of defferent Vs, I've also raced a 36 Skater. You just need to get out there in a cat to know.

The only time we were able to LAP the Vs was when it was rough.

Comanche3Six 10-08-2005 01:32 PM

Bay??? What bay??? Sorry Sandy Hook Bay is just a means to get out to the ocean, too bad there's no inlet in Sea Bright so I wouldn't have to waste my time in the bay. I've been running our NJ waters (yea the ones in YOUR back yard) for a very long time in a lot of defferent Vs, I've also raced a 36 Skater. You just need to get out there in a cat to know.

The only time we were able to LAP the Vs was when it was rough.

No 36 Skater is going by a 41 Apache in rough water. 3 to 4 footers yes, but 5 to 6 no way.

CFD5 10-08-2005 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by wiggler4490
The cat over 60mph and on top of water will ride better than the v. I have a 36 cat and 50v nortech, although the 50 has every amenity in the world and runs 102mph the cat at 80-90 will be smoother and out perform the v, ran thru 4-5' seas at the Chicago poker run at 100-110mph safely. a 38' v would of only been able to run 70-80 maybe.By the way Bacardi is actually on its way down was nearly vertical coming out of the c ut with tides going out and big wind coming in . Dave handled it as always cool customer, would of scared me to death but then again I'm not David Scott.

I saw a couple big V's running at least that fast on that run. Doug's Cig for example.

nolimits 10-08-2005 03:33 PM

This is going to seem like a total newbie question but, well, I'm a newbie...

What is the practical difference between a V and Cat hull of the same length? Handling? Stability? Plane out at different speeds? Cruise at different speeds? Fuel efficiency? One can handle bigger waves? One handles chop better? HP requirements?

Thanks.

Nice try knockoff. To much hot air in here for anyone to really remember you had a question. Since I own a V and have never ridden on a Cat I can't give you first hand knowledge of both. However, I have been around long enough to talk with folks who own Cats. Cat's have less hull in the water which in part (other factors too) give them more speed. They tend to ride on top of stuff which means a more comfortable ride in things like short chop. They turn ok, but they can be tricky. They tend to lean outside in a turn unless you are going real fast, then they lean in. But, yanking the wheel one way or another hard can get you into trouble.

V bottoms that are stepped airate the water and tend not to dig in like a non stepped V. They are riding on foam (so to speak). Hence they need more room to turn at speed (they can slideout or stuff a bow) unless you know how to position the drives and when to throttle and not. But they are more intuitive to turn than a Cat. It feels more natural.

The guys who have Cats that I talk too tell me that when the rough stuff is high enought to curl over the bow, they bring it in. V's tend to punch through that and keep going. A 36 or 40 foot cat probably takes a real real rough day to give it up. But if you are looking at a 24, 28 or 32 the V should keep you out longer.

My attempt to help with what I know. I see you are a trial member and probably are checking this site out for real info. Sometimes you can get real help. Hope I helped.

Oh yes, the same power in each - give the edge to the cat, gas usage is lower too.... Not sure about docking or trailering on a cat. It is wider but that may not mean much in docking. The cabins in V's are bigger foot for foot.

mr_velocity 10-08-2005 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by nolimits
Nice try knockoff. To much hot air in here for anyone to really remember you had a question. Since I own a V and have never ridden on a Cat I can't give you first hand knowledge of both.

I have first had knowledge of both, although my only cat experience has been with a 36 Skater racing 2 years in APBA. First off a Skater is probably one of the only cats that lean in during turns. True yanking the wheel can get you in trouble but if the boat is "set" there is nothing that will turn like a cat, step bottom Vs will not come close. Having said that, if you're carving the turn hard (flat water) and you get air chances are you're going over.....at least that has been my experience. In rough water you need to work the boat around the turn, but the same it true for Vs. Power wise, my choice for the untimate boat would naturally be the 36 Skater with 575s and 6s. I don't need to run more than 120 mph and the "package" will be indestructable.

Comanche3Six 10-08-2005 03:58 PM

I feel in rough Offshore conditions a deep V is superior. Here is a quality Offshore Powerboat heading out into those conditions on the Great Lakes. I hope this helps.