Question regarding offshore boats >

Question regarding offshore boats

Notices

Question regarding offshore boats

Old 10-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Question regarding offshore boats

Where in So Cal are you located? You just missed a run last weekend. Keep an eye out here for when we do ocean runs and I'm sure you can catch a ride with someone with a bigger boat to see what it's like. Be careful though, it won't be long before you're shopping for a Top Gun!
Old 10-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 24 Pantera is agreat rough water boat, I know, I own one.
But if you are boating with the whole Family constantly and you need comfort, speed, etc. I personally would be looking for a clean older Formula
24 LS or SS
Old 10-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered

25' of storage, including trailer? Does that include the tongue too? If so you are looking at a much smaller boat.

+1 on the Formula recommedation, however it may not fit your storage requirements.

Construction and hull design definitely play ALOT into the ride, but so does length. I'd go for some rides in 24' boats before buying to see if it is going to provide the ride quality you seek. I know my old 24' that handled well still required a kidney belt compared to my Formula 31'.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In regards to your storage problem, my 21' Formula with trailer and drive raised is around 28'-30' in length. There are trailers out there that have a toungue that folds. You may want to look into one.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Registered

I went from 18 to 20 to 23 to 29 and as they say, there is no replacement for displacement, go as big as you can afford, a straight 24 degree deadrise with no pads or steps is going to be your best riding boat, the more things you add to go faster will usually diminish the ride a bit. you could probably find a late 90's 25 oultlaw w/ 454 mpi or 502 for what you want to spend.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Registered

To everyone, thank you for the responses. I agree with taking it slow completely. With my first boat, bought sight unseen, just wanted to get to the ocean to play. This purchase, I am going to take my time on (dealer, test rides, boat shows, ect. ) . I think the reality of what everyone on this forum is saying is to upgrade to a 24 footer, better ride: YES good ride: NOT REALLY. A bigger boat would solve the problem. BTW, with my kids I will only go about 35-40mph. Above 40mph and they start getting nervous. The 25' limit of storage is rough guess; I am sure I can fudge more footage if necessary. Question: If you had a choice to go with a late 90's Baja 24, or a Late 80's eraly 90's Pantera, Sonic, Cheetah 24 with a repower, what would you do? Keep in mind my motorhead capabilities are limited.

Chris
Old 10-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take a look at Sunsation. They have a wide variety of boats and they don't look cheap or outdated like some others. They are also very affordable.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Length, deadrise (23 - 24 degrees) is what keeps you from pounding. Don't get me wrong, you have to know how to drive the thing. I to started with a Bayliner many many years ago. I had young kids and it was cheap. Looked long in the showroom and the salesman used to work at a used car lot. The thing sucked and so did I as a driver.

Remember this, everytime you sell one of these things and buy another you take it in the wallet. Buy at least a 25 foot boat. My first intelligent choice was a left over 25 Baja Outlaw. The thing crushed most everything in all but the roughest days and I could get my family around without them pounding and me worrying to death. There are other boats that I suppose would work. A late 90's Baja 25 outlaw is close to your price range. Pretty boat too.

I boat in the Great South Bay and the Atlantic ocean on Long Island. Boat builders here know about short chop and frequently rough conditions. Mfg's like Activator, Super Boat, Progression and Hustler make their living making tough boats. Many boat builders build boats for lakes and rivers where things stay calmer. (I know the Great Lakes are rough guys) Boats made for lakes that hit rough surf fall apart.

Buy 25 and an agressive deadrise - 30 feet. Spend more money to get a newer one with less hours. The Mercury Mag series all the way up to the 502 making 415 hp should be considered. Once you can handle the water, you'll want to go faster. The 350 mag eats similar gas but makes less ponies. Don't kid yourself, you'll want the power and it will cost you later to upgrade! There is nothing wrong with the 350 by the way, but your buying used so don't limit yourself there... You want a long boat that was taken care of. Stay with the offshore profile, it's a nice life..... Also, use a gps to measure speed not the speedometer. I doubt your bayliner ever hit 55 under it's own power. Remember, I've been there and done that.
Oh, make sure the floor of the cockpit is fiberglass, maybe with a snap in rug. Say "no" to carpeted floors that sit on marine plywood. Junk.
Good luck.

Last edited by nolimits; 10-13-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Registered

I think Pantera may be a great boat for you but they may be a little more difficult to find on the west coast.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:51 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

25 Baja Outlaw
24 Pantera

Best buy for the money there... Stock power and Bravo you'll have a bunch of fun.

Quick Reply: Question regarding offshore boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.