Question regarding offshore boats

Old 10-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question regarding offshore boats

Originally Posted by chrisf
To everyone, thank you for the responses. I agree with taking it slow completely. With my first boat, bought sight unseen, just wanted to get to the ocean to play. This purchase, I am going to take my time on (dealer, test rides, boat shows, ect. ) . I think the reality of what everyone on this forum is saying is to upgrade to a 24 footer, better ride: YES good ride: NOT REALLY. A bigger boat would solve the problem. BTW, with my kids I will only go about 35-40mph. Above 40mph and they start getting nervous. The 25' limit of storage is rough guess; I am sure I can fudge more footage if necessary. Question: If you had a choice to go with a late 90's Baja 24, or a Late 80's eraly 90's Pantera, Sonic, Cheetah 24 with a repower, what would you do? Keep in mind my motorhead capabilities are limited.

Chris
Remember on the Baja, stay with the Outlaw series if you can. They made a 24 and a 25 outlaw that would work. The nervous at speed comes from the boat you are driving. I've been on boats much much faster that I am sure your family would not even know the difference. Longer boats at 40 feel very very slow..... By the way, my 25 Outlaw ran 67 with tuned prop, 65 without it. I could blow through the rough stuff at 55 and no one on my boat did anything but smile. 2 - 7 year olds on board at the time. It would cruise in the 50's very comfortably. In the 60's in calmer waters. But 67 through anything, but then you were in the air some..

415 hp 502 mpi....

Last edited by nolimits; 10-13-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Registered

Red face Re: Question regarding offshore boats

I would stick to 25 baja outlaw myself. bigger beam.I've had single bigblock and twin small block boats. If you are concerned with safty, you can get a 26-28 twin small block boat with that kind of money and you'll have more stability, and a second motor in case your out with your fam and have a failure. you'll have no prob hitting 65-68. you won't have to get towed, just limp...just a thought..in my opinion.. small blocks can take more abuse. you need 2 of them(chevy 350 mags) but in my opinion thats better than worrying about replacing a big block. Its a little more maintenance and parts but worth it. i'll tell you all the 24' sunsations, panteras, predators, checkmates i've been in all have narrow 7' beams. they have real small cockpits..very fast, but. no good for fam. Go for an 8 ft beam...well worth it....one more thing about twins. even though there are 2 smaller motors, your gas insn't so bad(unless your at 5300 rpm)..A SB twin propped right can cruise at 2300 rpm and your doing about 30mph. you can go forever.secondaries open at about 3100rpm. then your gas starts flowing. ...my 2cents. there's allot out there.try to get a fresh water boat..good luck....ok... back to work.....
Old 10-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Registered

I definitely want the bigger beam. I did notice the 7' beams on most of yesterday's research. What do you think of this boat. I know you guys prefer the outlaw series, what would be the difference between that and the H2X

http://www.knhmarine.com/boats/perfo...ja24/index.asp

Another question: Boat specs say it weighs 3900lbs. I assume that is with fumes. Realistically, what would the turn key weight be including gas and trailer. Also, I have checked and can goto 27' exactly on storage. If this boat does not have a hinged tongue, can I convert the trailer to it?

Thanks again.

Chris
Old 10-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Registered

You don't want an H2X I believe it has a 22 degree deadrise ??? and does not handle like an outlaw, plus you have to basically crawl on your hands and knees into the cabin.. I had a 96 baja 232 and loved the good combination of cockpit space, cabin space, 62 mph w/ 7.4. and what I consider very good handling for it's size.

Any good fabricator should be able to convert your trailer to a swing away tounge..

as for the weight, figure 4K for boat, another 500-800 for fuel and gear and a trailer is in the 1,200 range, so around 6K total.

Last edited by Chris288; 10-13-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

The H2X is a lake boat built for speed. Exactly what you do not want. 232 ands 272 are good choices too. Not the same hull as the outlaw and not quite as good in the rough stuff, but still very respectable. I don't agree that two small blocks in a boat "that size" is what you want. The additional weight spread across the stern makes it less agile and in some conditions you are more likely to surface a prop. Want to experiment with prop, it's times two. Two engines to change oil in, two drives to change oil in, two systems to winterize and tune. Do the math, it costs and two small blocks is not faster than one 502 mpi. Keep it simple, one works great and it is less gas. You might be able to limp home but probably should call sea tow anyway. The 25 Outlaw with a single 502 mpi handles very very well and is cheap fun. You would be surprised at what you have to spend to better it.

My 25 weighed 3500 dry. Oh yea, the outlaw is measure without including the length of the swim platform. That means you get as much water line as a 272..

Last edited by nolimits; 10-13-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Check this out....

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-6639.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-4248.html

or even:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-7276.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-6682.html

This looks very cool: - wow Bayliner to Fountain...
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-6844.html

Looks like the price went down on the above one:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-7310.html

Last edited by nolimits; 10-13-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisf
I definitely want the bigger beam. I did notice the 7' beams on most of yesterday's research. What do you think of this boat. I know you guys prefer the outlaw series, what would be the difference between that and the H2X

http://www.knhmarine.com/boats/perfo...ja24/index.asp

Another question: Boat specs say it weighs 3900lbs. I assume that is with fumes. Realistically, what would the turn key weight be including gas and trailer. Also, I have checked and can goto 27' exactly on storage. If this boat does not have a hinged tongue, can I convert the trailer to it?

Thanks again.

Chris
The difference is that the person who posted that boat on that web site is dislexic!!!
Notice how that boat is very short. Like these guys say, you don't want a H2X. I used to have a 23' Larson with a 454, and 18 degree deadrise. Very fast boat, big cabin, but couldn't handle the rough stuff worth of crap. If you really want to handle bigger water smoother, you need a 24 degree deadrise. That's a much deeper V, and it rides better.

There are 3 general factors to a smoothe ride... deadrise, length, and weight. The more the smoother, but slower.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BajaIceBreaker
The difference is that the person who posted that boat on that web site is dislexic!!!
Notice how that boat is very short. Like these guys say, you don't want a H2X. I used to have a 23' Larson with a 454, and 18 degree deadrise. Very fast boat, big cabin, but couldn't handle the rough stuff worth of crap. If you really want to handle bigger water smoother, you need a 24 degree deadrise. That's a much deeper V, and it rides better.

There are 3 general factors to a smoothe ride... deadrise, length, and weight. The more the smoother, but slower.

100 percent.....
Old 10-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This Fountain does look like a steal! 5 grand to get it to the west coast. If you can swing it, do it.http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-7310.html
Old 10-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Registered

That Fountain is beautfiul, but pricey. Alright, here is what I am learning from everybody. 24 degree deadrise at a minimum. Help me out here. How do I know which boats have that deadrise, not all of them list it. Are there some mfr that are known for it, like Pantera, or is it hit and miss. And correct if I am wrong, I am no Geometrist, but at that deadrise aren't I limited to a tiny (7') beam? So perfection in my mind would be 24 degree deadrise on a 24' boat with an 8' beam. Who makes that? Plus, all of the cockpits are tiny, I would love more space. So add to that a comfy cockpit with more than a doggy door to get into the cuddy. Am I barking up the wrong tree, or is there a solution out there for me to fit all of my "wants"?

Chris

Quick Reply: Question regarding offshore boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.