Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Going to Key West today. Need anything checked? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/115791-going-key-west-today-need-anything-checked.html)

Bobthebuilder 11-05-2005 07:34 AM

Going to Key West today. Need anything checked?

It is just after 8:00 am I have just decided to head down to Key West in PREDATOR. [ yes, I'm impulsive !! ] This was not a planned trip. - unti now.
The gulf is flat , winds are light out of the NE, not a cloud in the sky, so I have decided to go down and check things out first hand. Straight shot from Marco Island is 100 miles. Leaving at 10:00am be there by noon all being well. Called the Galleon and they have slips with power so that's no problem. I will return to the Island Sunday PM and post a report of my findings that evening. I will be unable to post any pictures until I'm back up north on the 9th. If there are any OSO members that have not been able to get information they need out of Key West let me know and I will see what I can find out while down there. Remember this is a quick trip and will have limited time but will make an effort to find out as much as I can for you. I will somehow access a computer when there so you may post your requests here. If real important call my cell at 519 498 6945 after 1:00 pm EST today.
Bob

GLH 11-05-2005 07:36 AM

Re: Going to Key West today. Need anything checked?

Have fun you lucky stiff!

Shane 11-05-2005 07:59 AM

Havea safe trip. :cool:

Bobthebuilder 11-05-2005 01:51 PM

Ok, made it here in 2hrs, 5min. Not a record time for me but not bad. Best ever was 1 hr 45 min earlier this year. No problems, but seas did build during the crossing. Winds picked up with daytime heating. Seas were flat for 15 miles out, then 2 to 4ft and then 3 to 5ft the last 50 miles. PREDATOR loved it and ate it right up !!
On arrival took pics of destroyed Sunset Pier from waterside but the bar area survived and drinks were being served. There were people on Mallory square and at all of the waterside hotels. Hilton, Ocean Key House, Pier House, Hyatt and Galleon all seem to be operating with damaged areas closed off. The roof of the poolside bar at the Galleon is pretty much gone. I am told that the Hilton Marina is in real bad shape and will be checking that out soon. The Galleon Marina and Key West Bight are in real good shape and everthing seems to be operating normally.
I have rented a scooter so I now have wheels to get around town. Will check out Southernmost end of town as well.
The Parrot heads at in town so I guess I get to party with them tonight.
For those that need internet service when they are in KW there is an Internet Cafe on the second floor of the Waterfront Market a short walk from the Conch Republic.
I will check back in later,
Bob

CAP071 11-05-2005 08:20 PM

Cool let me know I just re-booked 2 weeks tentatively in Feb-March They should be cleaned up by then I hope :drink:

LPBoater 11-06-2005 11:28 AM

Please keep us posted and thanks for doing. Planning to come down for the races - hopefully still a good idea..

LP

JCPERF 11-06-2005 11:33 AM

All i want to know is if Fat Tuesdays is in running capacity :drink: :drink:

Bobthebuilder 11-06-2005 04:23 PM

Note to JCPERF - Not to worry - Fat Tuesday's was rockin last night. As were all the bars on Duval Street.

Note to LPBoater - Make sure you come to KW. They are ready for us and need us. Spend lots of money !! Help them out.

I am having trouble posting. I am new at this and not sure what I am doing wrong. Tried posting a report of my trip and message comes up invalid thread. What is with that ? Can anybody help ?

R Addiction 11-06-2005 06:15 PM

Cap, You're not going to KW next week?!!!! :eek:

CAP071 11-06-2005 06:28 PM

R Addiction Sorry Buddy I canceled :cool: My hotel was trashed I didn't feel like playing games with what was open then some hotels said they did or didn't have rooms. I was told the beach wasn't open. So I just changed the dates. I'm headed down for almost 2 weeks in the early spring, with Emotiondriver. But I leave for Florida for almost 3 weeks soon anyway Orando area.

I have 4 weeks vacation I have to use or loose.

R Addiction 11-06-2005 06:33 PM

Sorry to hear that Cap!! Hope you have a good time in Orlando!! And a better time in the spring!! :drink:

Bobthebuilder 11-06-2005 07:26 PM

I will try some shorter posts and see if that works:
There is 93 octane fuel available at City Marina @ KW Bight @ $3.60/ gal. No diesel or regular avail there but there is elsewhere.
Stay clear of harbourside of Wisteria Island [ known locally as Christmas tree Island ] - lots of sunken vessels of all types. The rest are washed up on the island.
Almost all of the channel markers in the Hawk Channel between Bahia Honda and KW are gone. Follow soneone who knows the water.
Lots of grass and algae blooms especially bayside along 7 Mile Bridge Channel markers in this area are mostly intact. Watch your sea strainers.
Good luck. See you all in Key West.

JCPERF 11-06-2005 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
I will try some shorter posts and see if that works:
There is 93 octane fuel available at City Marina @ KW Bight @ $3.60/ gal. No diesel or regular avail there but there is elsewhere.
Stay clear of harbourside of Wisteria Island [ known locally as Christmas tree Island ] - lots of sunken vessels of all types. The rest are washed up on the island.
Almost all of the channel markers in the Hawk Channel between Bahia Honda and KW are gone. Follow soneone who knows the water.
Lots of grass and algae blooms especially bayside along 7 Mile Bridge Channel markers in this area are mostly intact. Watch your sea strainers.
Good luck. See you all in Key West.

Masher wants to know how the gay community is fairing :eek: :D :drink:

Bobthebuilder 11-06-2005 07:57 PM

Note to JCPERF / Masher - Hard to say. Now that you mention it they were not all that visible this trip. They lost their pier down at Atlantic Shores I know that. I think all those Parrotheads in town with those funny shirts and hats could have had something to do with it as well !! LOL

JCPERF 11-06-2005 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Note to JCPERF / Masher - Hard to say. Now that you mention it they were not all that visible this trip. They lost their pier down at Atlantic Shores I know that. I think all those Parrotheads in town with those funny shirts and hats could have had something to do with it as well !! LOL

:D :D

Bobthebuilder 11-06-2005 09:19 PM

Just a note on a couple people I spoke with in KW that some may know:
Warren [ retired dockmaster from the Galleon Marina] He lost his boat while he and the wife tried to ride out Katrina on it's way by. Has quite a story to tell.
Gerry [ bouncer at Sloppy Joe's ] Lost his car and motor cycle. Has given a lot of his clothing away to fellow Conch's that have lost everything. When a visitor from NO asked about looting his response was : Key Westers do not steal from each other - they help each other out. His family is hurting emotionally from all the storms they have had to deal with in past two years.
Just thought some might like to know.
Bob

georges 11-06-2005 11:26 PM

Bobthebuilder,

Thanks very much for your updates on the KW situation, we really appreciate it! See you next week. :drink:

Bobthebuilder 11-07-2005 10:44 AM

In tough times a little humor can help.
Article in Sunday's KW Citizen : Man Enforcing No Wake on Streets Loses Temper - upset that some guy would not slow down coming down the street throwing up a large wake he proceeded to throw a book and porcelain doll at his car scratching it. No charges were laid.
Only in Key West !!

And remember - WHAT HAPPENS IN KEY WEST ..... NEVER HAPPENED !!!

Airpacker 11-07-2005 11:22 AM

Hi Bob. I see you finally found OSO. Happy to see you. 3 to 5's in your boat must have felt like little speed bumps. They sure did out on Georgian Bay. I still can't get over running 80 plus across 3 to 5 foot rollers and not needing to hold on for dear life :) Hope to see you at Raymonds Xmas bash.

Sean

Bobthebuilder 11-07-2005 03:16 PM

Hey, Sean. Nice to hear from you. And yes, I will be at Raymond's party at month end. Have to get past KW first !! I've never had time for this OSO thing in the past but after 25 years of building I want to spend the next 25 years enjoying what I love most. Winding my business' down to have more time for myself. I never did let that get in the way tho of my boating.
Hoping I can contribute something here. Keep in touch and enjoy.

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 12:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I mentioned when I started this thread [ my first ] that on my return I would post some pics. Never done that before so I will try. Here they are ... I think !!

-The road ahead

-Ocean Key House on arrival - O/S Bar is open !!

- Wreckage of Sunset Pier - Pier House in the background

- more to come - I hope !

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 12:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, so far so good !!

Pier House - great spot to watch the race - but I miss the shade !!

Galleon - Poolside Bar - I think I saw a guy sitting at bar but maybe he was just wishing it was open.

Stripped Banyan tree on Front Street next to Mel Fisher Museum. This was one of the most beautiful trees on the island. Hopefully it will recover.

OOPPS!! - reverse order

R Addiction 11-09-2005 12:54 PM

Damn!!! What a shame :(

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 12:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Few more,

Hilton Marina looking at basin south of pier that goes out to to cruise ships. If you have a reservation here - better have a backup plan !!

Hilton Marina north of pier.

Southernmost Point - open for business!! Nothing is going to move that baby !

R Addiction 11-09-2005 01:01 PM

We'll all be down there next week to pump some revenue into the town to help with repairs!!.... :drink: :drink: :drink:

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 01:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Directly across the street from Southernmost Point

Remains of pier at Southernmost Motel on the Beach - most of it ended up on the street. Same with Atlanyic Shores Pier. Both are open for business. Unbelievable.

Boats washed up on Wisteria Island known locally as Christmas Tree Island. This is across the harbor next to Sunset Key. Stay well clear of this area as there are many sunken vessels of all kinds yet to be recovered.

CAP071 11-09-2005 01:09 PM

What a Mess, What a Shame :eek: :(

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 01:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, this is the last one.

FEMA in Key West

Cape Romano - 3 miles south of Marco Island. Accessable only by boat. This is where they say the eye came ashore when Wilma hit mainland Florida.

The road behind !! Taken 10 miles off North West Cape on the way home.

Final comment - Now you boaters that like the east coast of Florida so much have no idea what you are missing !!! Hope I don't start a firestorm with that comment !! Come on over and try it - you will fall in love again !!
It's been fun - like always,
Bob

wananewboat 11-09-2005 02:32 PM

Great job with the photos. Looks like we won't be getting a table at the Ocean Key House to watch the races. :eek:

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by wananewboat
Great job with the photos. Looks like we won't be getting a table at the Ocean Key House to watch the races. :eek:

Why not ? The narrow pier south of the O/S bar survived.
You just have to figure out how to get there ahead of me !!!
Good luck. Lots more pics but can't post them all.
Bob

Spicy 11-09-2005 03:39 PM

THANKS FOR THE UPDATES AND THE PICTURES THEY ARE MUCH APPRECIATTED...... :D :drink:

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spicy
THANKS FOR THE UPDATES AND THE PICTURES THEY ARE MUCH APPRECIATTED...... :D :drink:

Hey, no problem, that's my job!!!

Ms PatriYacht 11-09-2005 04:10 PM

There will be good viewing of the race on Saturday from the turn boat Sebago, check out my thread on the subject, the day includes booze and food and an upclose views

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by BigScotty
Looks good, Bob - not bad for a rookie... :D

Hey BigScotty how we doin'. rookie ?? Ouch, that hurts my ego!! LOL - I know you mean well !!

Look, I have something BIG for you on The Big Dog in Naples. As I mentioned I would be going by there on my way to Ft Meyers Tues. am.
Some of it will be in code that only you will understand. I don't have time right now as I am back in office playing catch up today. This evening I will post on your Big Dog thread and then you can do what you will with the info. Let the games begin!

frankenstein 11-09-2005 04:33 PM

Great pictures. You did a great job. How did the Truman Annex look ? I'll probably watch the races from there if it still exists. Was there alot of debris in the water? That could always be a problem after a storm.

waterheater 11-09-2005 05:49 PM

Great pics thanks.

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by frankenstein
Great pictures. You did a great job. How did the Truman Annex look ? I'll probably watch the races from there if it still exists. Was there alot of debris in the water? That could always be a problem after a storm.

Thanks Frank...... Sorry I did not get into the Truman Annex. I just ran out of time. I realise now that I should have on behalf of the racers but I expect they have people there checking it out. As you probably know the basin used to be a submarine basin years ago. It is well fortified and protected by that concrete outer mole. It is intact as far as I could see from harbourside as I went by. Probably the best place to watch from. Your concern about debris is a good one. I have to say I actually saw very little in the water as I travelled. But as you know even a little can cause a lot of grief as someone is going to eat it i'm afraid. It will not be stopping me, tho. [ unless I'm the one that eats it !! ] A lot of debris is along the shorelines. As you can imagine they have much higher priorities than cleaning up the shorelines just yet. My advise would be when we get close to Key West [ that is us Poker Runners ] we need to back off on the throttles or we could be trailering home.

Bobthebuilder 11-09-2005 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by waterheater
Great pics thanks.

Now waterheater - your not saying here that I am a better photographer than offshore boater are you ??? Ha, LOL
Say hello in KW - I see your stuff all the time.

airship 11-10-2005 09:50 AM

Thanks for the pics as well. That is one gorgeous boat. Your pics are more "graphic" than the keys news and the keynoter. I was down in KW between hurricanes and is was as if the island lost about 40% of the foliage. But it looks like Wilma took care of the rest and then some. Regarding the Truman Annex, my wife arrived late last night and a the the Shipyard portion of the property faired very well all things considered. No flooding to speak of but there are issues of limited roof damage for the 2nd floor units. They should be fine. I head down on 11/15 so your pics are a great way to prepare. Thanks again!

Bobthebuilder 11-10-2005 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by airship
Thanks for the pics as well. That is one gorgeous boat. Your pics are more "graphic" than the keys news and the keynoter. I was down in KW between hurricanes and is was as if the island lost about 40% of the foliage. But it looks like Wilma took care of the rest and then some. Regarding the Truman Annex, my wife arrived late last night and a the the Shipyard portion of the property faired very well all things considered. No flooding to speak of but there are issues of limited roof damage for the 2nd floor units. They should be fine. I head down on 11/15 so your pics are a great way to prepare. Thanks again!

Thank you. And thank you for sharing re: Truman Annex.
Too bad my Leafs do not meet your Red Wings this year. That was a great rivalry. Maybe we can kick your a$$ in the playoffs. LOL Say hello in KW. My boat will be in the Galleon Marina and I will be at the Hyatt.