Like Tree0Likes

Winterizing 496 or 496HO or 496Mag

Reply
Old 10-23-2016, 07:43 AM
  #81
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: baltimore MD
My Boats: 06 23 Baja Outlaw SOLD
Posts: 112
Default

so fogging of my 2005 496HO is not needed for a 6 month winter sleep? i'm going to winterize it this week.

drain the water, pump the pink good stuff, then shut down the motor for the winter?
nordy racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:43 AM
  #82
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
Sydwayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Worldwide
My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.
Posts: 21,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordy racer View Post
so fogging of my 2005 496HO is not needed for a 6 month winter sleep? i'm going to winterize it this week.

drain the water, pump the pink good stuff, then shut down the motor for the winter?
Not true. You need to mix up the "cocktail" of two stroke oil and gasoline, and that's the very last thing you run through the motor.
Sydwayz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:34 PM
  #83
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 67
Default valve?

hi guys, i know the winterization thing has been hashed out several times but i have a question about 496 motors having a valve in a water line that supposedly opens and closes and if you leave rv antifreeze in it all year, it causes the valve to rust either open or shut. apparently, this happens on older 496 motors and not newer ones from what i was told by another owner who claims to have had the trouble. i never know when this guy is being honest or just trying to be the center of attention so i was hoping for some clarification. thanks for any help on this!
c_loud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:52 AM
  #84
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
Sydwayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Worldwide
My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.
Posts: 21,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_loud View Post
hi guys, i know the winterization thing has been hashed out several times but i have a question about 496 motors having a valve in a water line that supposedly opens and closes and if you leave rv antifreeze in it all year, it causes the valve to rust either open or shut. apparently, this happens on older 496 motors and not newer ones from what i was told by another owner who claims to have had the trouble. i never know when this guy is being honest or just trying to be the center of attention so i was hoping for some clarification. thanks for any help on this!
The actuator "valves" are spring loaded. IF they leak over time, it's because the spring is weakening. They can be rebuilt, or you can replace the whole actuator assembly.
I've never seen a rust issue in these units. I honestly never checked to see if they were aluminum or steel; but never any rust or corrosion issue. That said, I flushed my motors religiously. Antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors. The only issue I had with 1 of my 4 actuators in the 12 years of ownership was a piece of wood stuck in one of them causing it to leak when running on plane.
Sydwayz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 PM
  #85
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
The actuator "valves" are spring loaded. IF they leak over time, it's because the spring is weakening. They can be rebuilt, or you can replace the whole actuator assembly.
I've never seen a rust issue in these units. I honestly never checked to see if they were aluminum or steel; but never any rust or corrosion issue. That said, I flushed my motors religiously. Antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors. The only issue I had with 1 of my 4 actuators in the 12 years of ownership was a piece of wood stuck in one of them causing it to leak when running on plane.
thanks!!!!
c_loud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
TeamPSI
General Q & A
23
12-10-2007 05:23 PM
apexer
General Q & A
11
07-20-2007 07:24 PM
westcoaster
General Q & A
3
08-08-2005 11:24 AM
bn
General Q & A
4
01-15-2005 07:40 AM
NVRENOUGH
General Q & A
3
02-18-2002 12:25 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.