Notices

Safety Summit

Old 11-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety Summit

As Owner/Publisher of Extreme Boats Magazine, I believe that 'Boating Safety' is very important for the overall health and longevity of the Industry. The discussion of increased safety is not aimed at slowing the boats down, nor does it require the 'fun' factor to be diminished.

Increased Safety simply means: "Increased Safety" - pure and simple.

While the discussion is good, now is the time for action. For our part, Extreme Boats Magazine is bringing together an industry wide group of boating manufacturers, boating event promoters and marine organizations who collectively believe we can advance the level of safety at recreational boating events. The role of the publication is that of facilitator, providing a forum for people from across the industry to lend their knowledge and experience - for the benefit of everyone.

This is an open invitation to all manufacturers, event promoters, event sponsors and boating publications to participate in a round table discussion on Boating Safety at the Miami Boat Show on Friday February 17th. The goal of the meeting is to increase the awareness of Safety for the 2006 Season. It's a very desirable and achievable goal, and a goal I believe we all share.

Casey Kiernan, Publisher
Extreme Boats Magazine
Old 02-19-2006, 10:15 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Re: Safety Summit

Would you like to share any comments on this meeting that took place in Miami ?

Who attended ?

What were their thoughts and suggestions ?

What changes should we expect in the 2006 season ?

If anyone from OSO attended, can you update the forum please ?

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 02-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Safety Summit

Good idea. Please keep us all informed.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:32 PM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

The meeting was priceless a little early being I had just got in at 4am and 7am came around pretty quick to get up and get ready. But this meeting will go down in HISTORY as 1 man at the meeting stated. I don't think I could of chose any better words for the meeting then just that. I think we were all on the same page with safety and drinking during a run and communication. We all feel life vests are a must 1 poker run association stated he did not want to be liable in court if someone was trapped under a boat with a vest , and he enforced everyone to wear life vests. He was straightened out real quick by a lawyer that was present, he is involved with a dealership and very very knowledgeable of boating and laws and stated its required as preventive life safety it would look 100 times better in court if you mandate vests. One sponsor stated he would never sponsor a event if life jackets were not enforced, that caught a lot of peoples attention. the panel was awesome and had great knowledge and very informational. This meeting will lead to some changes from most poker run events. And for the other poker run organizers that were not there you know who you are, please call APRA and get the minutes you should of invented the possibility of being there all were invited and your input would of been appreciated. The poker run future is at stake! Thank you to all that were there and for the knowledge I picked up from this meeting and a special thank to APRA.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Registered

It was a great privalage to be amoung you guys who are the Neighman Marckes of performence boating. There was lots of Ideas and input that was shared at this meeting. But coming from the Dollor General end of performence boating it will take me some time to get my events to move in these directions. I am embarressed to say why... but I will tell you all . My Radical Boat Reunion has featured a Friday nite meet and greet with free Mich lite flowing non stop,a saterday river tour, an all you can eat prime rib meal in the evening, a live band party with drink special and an event T-shirt all for $35 [thirty five] and my group has complained b*tched and complained about the price and could appreciated my effords more. I want to provide more at my events and want to do this in the safest manner possiable. My groups budgets are of concern. I will try to keep in contact with all of you who are so knowlegable a bout boating events to try to move forward ....again thank you for letting me look at your world .... Think about coming to an RBR
Old 02-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by raceboat rus
I am embarressed to say why... but I will tell you all . My Radical Boat Reunion has featured a Friday nite meet and greet with free Mich lite flowing non stop,

a saterday river tour, an all you can eat prime rib meal in the evening, a live band party with drink special

I want to provide more at my events and want to do this in the safest manner possiable. My groups budgets are of concern.
I surely hope that these kind of festivaties (beer flowing for free all night long) are done after all the boats are put away!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 05:43 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Because there were 2 meetings held in Miami, APRA and the second one being the Extreme Mag Meeting, when replying to this thread could you please state which meeting you attended?

Bojoe,
It sounds like the APRA meeting was really packed with some VIPs from every part of the hi-performance boating world!
I am glad to see their participation.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:55 AM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

Yes Tim it was WHOS WHO in the room with great nput and no one held back. The moderator had to stop some topics to move us along it went from 830 - 11am with a short stretch break. tons of great points brought up. I think a lot of groups will follow.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Registered

I was at both meetings. I am one of the coordinators of the Chicago Poker Run. Both meetings went very well.

The PRA meeting hit on specific topics. Each topic was discussed in detail. An area that was most informative to me was canopy boats. A canopy boat is more dangerous for people getting trapped in the boat if they do not have proper construction and escape hatches. Dunk tank certification is very important. They say you get totally disoriented when flipped upside down several times and panic waiting for equalized pressures b/4 opening hatches. Then there is the issue with properly trained rescue divers for unconscious boaters. No credit for 1st to bridge or pin. Vest 100% of the time. The meeting was held at 8am which allowed many manufacturers to come to that meeting.

The Extreme Boat safety Summit was focused on creating a panel of poker run experts seperate from the magazine that focuses on poker run safety. The campaign is called "B SAFE" for boating events. This panel has develped a set of guidelines (best practices) for poker run event organizers. These guidelines help event organizers review areas of safety they may not have overlooked. I feel most of the larger poker run organizers were present from west to east coast for this meeting.

The next step is to get both orginizations working together. Marc Blondin pointed out that we need to prevent "politicing" like APBA/SBI vs. OSS. Racing is a serious sport but ruined by politicing. Poker Runs are a fun sport and we need to rid the politicing and work together to advance the sport safely.

Mark Smith
Chicago Powerboat Club
Chicago Poker Run
Old 02-21-2006, 05:04 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Thumbs up Re: Safety Summit

Thanks for your input Mark...

And also the package you sent has arrived.

It is much appreciated! Thank you!!!

Quick Reply: Safety Summit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.