Notices

Rough water pics

Old 11-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Rough water pics

I'd like to see some rough water pics. Not race boats! Just your everday sport boat out in the high sea's, whether it be a 22ft Scarab or a 47ft Fountain. My scariest time was a couple summers ago I had my old Four Winns Liberator 241 on Lake Michigan in 5-6 ft seas. I couldnt go more than 25. I hit a wave, stuffing the bow, and I was soaked head to toe.

Also, this summer, I was idling in my 40ft excalibur when the big sea dog(75ft 50k lb) planed off 100 yards in front of me. I idled thru its wake and the bow came up, then down right into the next swell, and water came over the deck, washing the whole deck down for me
Old 11-24-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rough water pics

I'd like to show you some photos of the 12's we were in but I don't have a waterproof camera
Old 11-24-2005, 12:36 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

been in solid 10's on Lake Mich. in 35ft Fountain, that will take it's toll on you...BZ
Old 11-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Registered

10ft seas? Holy $%&T!

Here's a question.

Lets say your out on the big water and you break down in 5-7ft seas. Is it a good Idea to throw anchor with a large amount of line, or better off floating till help comes?

How about if caught at sea in a Lightning storm? Someone told me to shut everything down, motors, electonics etc, and wait it out?
Old 11-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this was us at the Key West Poker Run two years ago
Attached Thumbnails Rough water pics-flying%7E1-reduced.jpg   Rough water pics-poker%7E16.jpg   Rough water pics-flying%7E8.jpg  

Last edited by boatme; 11-24-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Registered

Very nice shots. you're in the right boat for sure
Old 11-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Also, this summer, I was idling in my 40ft excalibur when the big sea dog(75ft 50k lb) planed off 100 yards in front of me. I idled thru its wake and the bow came up, then down right into the next swell, and water came over the deck, washing the whole deck down for me
had something similar happen to me. at the last stop on our (LEOPA) summer poker run my self and another boat stoped to take a swim and watch the fast boats come in. as one of our members came by in his TopGun he slowed and made a loop around us to get the thumbs up that were OK an not broke down. his boat was just off plane and making a huge bow wave. as the wake hit my boat it diped my transom very deep and it came up over my swim platform and crested over my sun pad. almost thought the boat was going down. honestly all i could do was laugh about it and i appeciated the drive by from the topgun to see if we were OK.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Registered

Mild Thunder Not a good thing to happen but if you were caught offshore by useing a type of chute not anchor to hold your bow into the waves would be one way but you have the drift to worry about. In school we were told when in deep water to use what ever we had let's say it was a larger sail boat we could use a wooden hatch tied at four corners or anything that would cause drag on the bow.They do sell the drag chut's at west marine.Seems the use of a anchor would be allright if you had enough line and it was strong enough.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:51 PM
Registered

When you guy's talk about 10 footer's are you measuring horizontally or vertically
Old 11-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Troutly
I'd need to see some pics of boating in these 10 - 12 foot 'waves' to believe it...
I saw REAL 20+ seas aboard this little boat.
Attached Thumbnails Rough water pics-111-1jpg.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rough water pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.