Funny (or Sad) Winterizing stories

Notices

Funny (or Sad) Winterizing stories

Old 11-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny (or Sad) Winterizing stories

Getting a little slow around here,maybe it's time for some stories about winterizing. I'll start. A few years ago we sold a new I/O to a local car dealer,first time boat buyer,delivered it to his lake house. Late October he called and said he had heard the boat should be winterized,could we do that? I said sure,we handled it and sent a bill which he promply paid. He called me in March,he had gotten the boat out and it shut down,oil and water in the bige. I asked him if this was the first time he had used it since we winterized it,he said yes,first time he had used it. We picked it up,worst case scenario,block burst on both sides,internal cracks,exhaust manifolds cracked. Now, we know how to winterize a boat,something wasn't right. I called and asked again,was this the first time he had used it? He said that's right,first time for him,but his son came home from college over Thanksgiving and took it out cause the weather was nice. So I explained that that was the problem,that's why it froze,if it was run it needed to be winterized again. He said, "Well,that's why I had it winterized,so we could use it all winter"
Old 11-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Funny (or Sad) Winterizing stories

now thats funny right there
Old 11-25-2005, 02:02 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Getting a little slow around here,maybe it's time for some stories about winterizing. I'll start. A few years ago we sold a new I/O to a local car dealer,first time boat buyer,delivered it to his lake house. Late October he called and said he had heard the boat should be winterized,could we do that? I said sure,we handled it and sent a bill which he promply paid. He called me in March,he had gotten the boat out and it shut down,oil and water in the bige. I asked him if this was the first time he had used it since we winterized it,he said yes,first time he had used it. We picked it up,worst case scenario,block burst on both sides,internal cracks,exhaust manifolds cracked. Now, we know how to winterize a boat,something wasn't right. I called and asked again,was this the first time he had used it? He said that's right,first time for him,but his son came home from college over Thanksgiving and took it out cause the weather was nice. So I explained that that was the problem,that's why it froze,if it was run it needed to be winterized again. He said, "Well,that's why I had it winterized,so we could use it all winter"
LMFAO.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

It wasn't nearly as funny when he blamed me for not explaining it to him. His comment was I should have known he knew nothing about boats and it was my duty to explain all that. I wanted to mention that if I bought my first car from him would he tell me to check the oil,or assume I would know to check it?I made a judgement call,covered half the cost of the new engine. In retrospect,probrably shouldn't have,but the customer really thought he was right,perception is everything. Now we attach a big warning sign to the dash when we winterize.

Last edited by Magicfloat; 11-25-2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:28 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Magic I owned a marina for about 3 yrs. so i know what your saying about judgement calls on things like that.You did more then you should of and now days getting any kind service like that is great even if it's by operator error which in this case it was.To bad there aren't more business that would give 1/10th the service you do.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:23 PM

The sad part is he is out there boating with the rest of us.
Did you tell him to put the plug in the bilge before putting it in the water?
How about not starting it on the trailer to warm it up before splashing it?
You shouldn't feel responsible for stupid people, what if he hit someone, he could say you didn't tell him which way to turn the wheel JB
Old 11-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Registered

...jb4...there are people who actually think that way out in the population...hmmm...that's a topic for another thread tho... ...
Old 11-25-2005, 03:47 PM

I know, and to think we have to breath the same air as them.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Funny (or Sad) Winterizing stories

The moral to this story is not all boat dealers are crooks. Some go above and beyond.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Registered

You should keep the keys after you winterize them I guess.

Quick Reply: Funny (or Sad) Winterizing stories

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.