Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ready for a cat..... CANT GET INSURANCE (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/117278-ready-cat-cant-get-insurance.html)

chad1 11-27-2005 01:55 PM

ready for a cat..... CANT GET INSURANCE

My Friend Is Now Selling His Perfect 36 Spectre..i Been Waiting For This Boat. 500 Efi Procharghers 170hrs. Boat Is Nice.....i Cant Get It Insured Reasonably....the Note On The Boat Is Cheaper Than The Ins...he Gave Me 1st Choice On The Boat Now He Listed It On Oso.. Its The 2000 Model.....any Insurance Guys On Here With Reasonable Quotes Or Should I Be Looking At V Bottems

thedonz 11-27-2005 02:00 PM

Re: ready for a cat..... CANT GET INSURANCE

you can do itttttttttttttttt :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

jr

Pmpaint1 11-27-2005 02:56 PM

Rashid
International Water Safety Foundation
pH: 1888-346-4673
fax: 1 888 346 4674

905 Michele-Bohec
Suite 204
Blain Bille, QC J7C5J6

E:mail [email protected]

Referall Code: 162578

ChiToWn TapouT 11-27-2005 02:56 PM

Sounds like you also need to take Tres Martins
class if you havent already.

This was just posted also.
Maybe he can help

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=117129

SpeedGirl 11-27-2005 02:58 PM

try New Coast

http://www.newcoastfinancial.com/

thedonz 11-27-2005 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChiToWn TapouT
Sounds like you also need to take Tres Martins
class if you havent already.

This was just posted also.
Maybe he can help

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=117129

THAT'S A JOKE

JR

ChiToWn TapouT 11-27-2005 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by thedonz
THAT'S A JOKE

JR

So it wont help in getting cat insurance?
Or lower your cat insurance?

thedonz 11-27-2005 03:29 PM

i don;t want to stir up the pot even though with my comment i kinda did but i'll just leave it at that

jr

timewarp 11-27-2005 03:33 PM

THAT'S A JOKE

JR

I agree. I would be very leary of non US insurance companies.
That is unless you can go with Lloyds of London.

FeverFan 11-27-2005 03:38 PM

THAT'S A JOKE

JR

Which half of the post is a joke? The Tres school or the ins. link? Or both?

berns29scarab 11-27-2005 04:03 PM

i heard first hand tres's class has helped those with no cat insurance obtain it and those with exp get lower premiums. i'd contact him directly. again only 2nd hand info

ChiToWn TapouT 11-27-2005 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by timewarp
I agree. I would be very leary of non US insurance companies.
That is unless you can go with Lloyds of London.

I dont think he's talking about the insurance co.

But if there is someone else out there offering classes
that will either help you get cat insurance or lower
your premium who are they?

Sean H 11-27-2005 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChiToWn TapouT
I dont think he's talking about the insurance co.

But if there is someone else out there offering classes
that will either help you get cat insurance or lower
your premium who are they?

i think he is talking about the insurance company..

tres's class will get you 10% off from markel i believe...

chad1 11-27-2005 05:49 PM

My Friends Who Have 30 Foot Cats Are Paying Less Than 1500.00 A Year.. I Call Their Company And With The New Software They Are Quoting With A Window Pops Up And Says Select Manufacture ..put In Spectre....its Say No.................skater.........no
American Offshore.................no Ok Lets Try Cig V Bottom Enter Horsepower, Speed, Ok You Get A Quote.......
I Had A Skater Before And Ins Was Not A Problem
Now It Seems If You Can Even Get A Cat Quoted You Have To Lie About Speed Or Value

ChiToWn TapouT 11-27-2005 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
i think he is talking about the insurance company..

tres's class will get you 10% off from markel i believe...

Ive read nothing but possitive things on OSO about
Tres classes.

This guys looking for insurance some suggestions where
given then the comment of "Thats a joke" is written.

You got to be clear about what your talking about.
Is it the insurance co. or Tres classes?

WildWarrior 11-27-2005 07:35 PM

I took Tres coarse and it was excellent, we saved 10% on our V and Cat insurance.
As far as reasonable Cat insurance it doesn't exist, and there are only two companies that will insure a Cat.
You can expect to pay $6500.00 per season minimum for most any true 120mph 36' Cat.
Out of the 6 Cat owners I know, we pay between $7000 and $9500 per season to insure our Cats!

chad1 11-27-2005 08:08 PM

Wild Those Numbers Are About The Same Here In Texas....one Of My Friends Pays 9500..on A Nortec
36 ..my Other Buddy Is Going Self Insured!!!!!!! On A 36 Nortec.....
I Really Want The Spectre But Insurance Prices Might Keep Me Being The Best Boat Hand....8000 A Year
On Ins Takes The Fun Out Of It For Me.....not On That Level Yet..

The Menace 11-27-2005 08:41 PM

You can get liability. It is the comprehensive part they have problems with. This is why you see some of these cats for sale lingering in the classified. No insurance, no financing. It will result in prices coming down.

Some guys who have insurance have been sneaking under the radar. A simple request from the insurance company for a recent survey and pics usually kill the policy from being renewed. And if you did sneak by and misrepresented the boat the insurance company they may NOT pay off.

Dean Ferry 11-27-2005 08:49 PM

Ins. $$ is the reason I sold my Eliminator Cat and went to V's! :(
Sure do miss the speed/acceleration of the cats though!
Plus V's are more family friendly, IMHO.

Ins. $$ in Florida are the reason I have 502 MPIs in my 35 Nordic too, I pay Approx. 1,750./year thru Bob Luellen @ World wide Marine, who I recommend by the way! :drink:
Give Bob a call, he's a great guy!

Dean

GLH 11-27-2005 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pmpaint1
Rashid
International Water Safety Foundation
pH: 1888-346-4673
fax: 1 888 346 4674

905 Michele-Bohec
Suite 204
Blain Bille, QC J7C5J6

E:mail [email protected]

Referall Code: 162578

Better check the address it should be "Blainville" I would also be very carefull of out of the US insurance, for a US boat.

blume 11-27-2005 11:10 PM

call Bob Luellen @ 517-333-4100 or Sy Goldberg 845-356-7251, they both can do it.

Andy0331 11-28-2005 12:38 AM

I've taken Tres' class & got insurance (T/S Cig) through Elton Porter, who Tres recommended. They gave me a 10% discount as well.

The guys I took the class with were buying a 36 Nortech & listened to them on the phone with either Elton Porter or Bob Luellen & they had no problem gettting ins either. Tres even made the call for them at the ramp after completion.

Insurance or not, I highly recommend Tres' class for anyone running a 70+ mph boat.

Tres 11-28-2005 07:10 AM

JR[/QUOTE]

THAT'S A JOKE

JR

The joke is on you. With the raising insurance rates, and accidents occurring every weekend, the performance boat industry is struggling, so the money is coming out of your pocket in the end. Your freedom to go boating in the future is being compromised. More and more people are getting hurt because they don't have the proper education to use their boat. Everyone that has taken the class has enjoyed it and felt it was long over do.The fact you think its a joke is funny to me because you have never been! So you think you are the best driver on the waterway because you have raced? Give me a break!

Tres martin
Tres Martin Performance Boat School
THE ONLY Performance Boat School.
Helping in saving lives and equipment!!

gsmith9898 11-28-2005 07:21 AM

I had a hard time getting my new cat insured. I called around and finally got a company to insure my eliminator if I would switch all my insurance over to that company. They ran a credit check and ask ALOT of questions, but in the end the wrote up the cat CHEAP. Markel would not even think about it since I had never owned a cat before.

JM94 11-28-2005 07:46 AM

The Donz,
Why don't you take our class, you may learn something... :rolleyes: Then you could comment on it !!

Don't you think so?

Jacky :D

Too Old 11-28-2005 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by JM94
The Donz,
Why don't you take our class, you may learn something... :rolleyes: Then you could comment on it !!

Don't you think so?

Jacky,

Where can I find a schedule of classes?

JM94 11-28-2005 07:57 AM

Trick,
The classes are on Monday/Tuesday and Wednesday/Thursday of every week. Check our website. www.performanceboatschool.com

Jacky

Tres Martin's Performance Boat School
352-620-8737

Too Old 11-28-2005 07:59 AM

Trick,
The classes are on Monday/Tuesday and Wednesday/Thursday of every week. Check our website. www.performanceboatschool.com

Jacky

Tres Martin's Performance Boat School
352-620-8737

Thanks.....sounds like a great Christmas gift.

thedonz 11-28-2005 08:03 AM

The Donz,

Don't you think so?

Happy holidays to you and your fam

jr

sy goldberg 11-28-2005 08:32 AM

DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH THE IWSF ! I have paperwork from the the Quebec insurance department that you might want to see and if I were you I would check with your own state insurance department to get their opinion about IWSF.I can be reached at 845 356 7251.

sy goldberg 11-28-2005 08:39 AM

MARKEL AMERICAN INSURANCE COMPANY is the only stand alone licensed US insurance company that is writng cat insurance at he presnt time.

bcschoe 11-28-2005 08:40 AM

Tres’s class is outstanding and is the only boat school which uses demonstrated teaching methods rather than notes and a book. Using performance based training, a few hours with Tres will provide you with more first hand usable knowledge than any other boating safety course could begin to provide. While I will always support all boating courses and continue to support the value of self education, any power boater will benefit from this course regardless of their background and experience level.

My insurance rates went up again this year and I’m sure they will continue to increase. If we want to save the last place on earth where we can enjoy virtually limitless performance freedom we must all take a pro-active role in the self preservation of this sport. Some will argue the number of accidents and deaths do not support the problem is with performance boats and the real problem is with smaller open family boats. But at some point perception becomes reality and the high profile and unique visibility of performance boats only attracts opportunity for regulators to regulate.

Tres’s course is the only course available that provides what I call type specific training. Meaning you can’t go from a single engine Cessna to a Twin Jet. You must get specific training to the type of craft you are operating.

Tres’s course is not a joke…. The availability and cost of proper insurance is not a joke…. The risk of losing our performance playground is not a joke.

For the record… I have taken Tres’s course. I am an active duty U.S. Coast Guard Officer, I own a T/S Top Gun, I have taught Coast Guard Boating Safety courses with the Coast Guard Auxiliary. I maintain a 100tT master’s license. I have thousands of hours of real sea time but only a few hours running a twin step bottom boat. I will only run my boat in a way which makes it a safe, fun, and enjoyable experience for my family and friends and Tres is the only one who can give me specific training to accomplish that mission.

Brad Schoenwald

thedonz 11-28-2005 10:10 AM

before you go attacking my nephew or me, please understand that his reference was as to the insurance link, we have never, nor would we ever, make any negative remarks towards you or your operation....I for one have only heard positive remarks about your course....I also believe there is a very strong need for a course like yours in the boating industry....I wouldn't mind taking it myself, there is always room for improvement in this sport, as in any other...

thedonz 11-28-2005 10:14 AM

before you go attacking my nephew or me, please understand that his reference was as to the insurance link, we have never, nor would we ever, make any negative remarks towards you or your operation....I for one have only heard positive remarks about your course....I also believe there is a very strong need for a course like yours in the boating industry....I wouldn't mind taking it myself, there is always room for improvement in this sport, as in any other...

very well said pop

jr

FeverFan 11-28-2005 12:43 PM

before you go attacking my nephew or me, please understand that his reference was as to the insurance link...

Not trying to be an a$$ here, but that is all he had to say. I point blank (and at least one other) asked him which he was talking about, got no reply.

When you delete an old post and say "Don't want to stur the pot even more" makes it look like he was talking about Tres school. At least that is how it looked to me. Again, I'm not trying to be an a$$.

chad1 11-28-2005 12:47 PM

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO..I CALLED BOB L....ESPECTING EMAIL TODAY...MY CREDIT HAS BEEN INQUIRED SO MUCH
NOW THERE IS AN ALERT....
CAT OUTTA HELL IS NOT FROM THIS AREA....WE DO HAVE SOME NICE HARDWARE HERE THOUGH....THE OWNER OF THE SPECTRE 36 STEPED UP TO A NORTEC 36 WITH 6s and 1000s...2006 model. another 36 nortec 05 and another 04 with 750s with 6s.

chad1 11-28-2005 12:55 PM

every ins company i called did ask if i had taken a coast guard app class......if Tres `s school is approved for a discount i would boat on a monday to save money year after year......what the price????

thedonz 11-28-2005 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by FeverFan
Not trying to be an a$$ here, but that is all he had to say. I point blank (and at least one other) asked him which he was talking about, got no reply.

When you delete an old post and say "Don't want to stur the pot even more" makes it look like he was talking about Tres school. At least that is how it looked to me. Again, I'm not trying to be an a$$.

the reason i didn't respond was because a lot of stuff here get's twisted for no reason or something things are said that the other party never said. the reason i deleted something and put"don't want to stur the pot" was for that same reason cause i don;t want people to think i was talking chit about tres's school. it was all towards the insurance. and for that reason was why i said. " i just leave it at that. sorry for yall misunderstanding my post.

jr mike

FeverFan 11-28-2005 01:27 PM

the reason i didn't respond was because a lot of stuff here get's twisted for no reason or something things are said that the other party never said. the reason i deleted something and put"don't want to stur the pot" was for that same reason cause i don;t want people to think i was talking chit about tres's school. it was all towards the insurance. and for that reason was why i said. " i just leave it at that. sorry for yall misunderstanding my post.

jr mike

That's true.

Thanks for the clarification.

ChiToWn TapouT 11-28-2005 02:43 PM

Thank you for clearing that up.

Open ended statements can be misinterpreted.