Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Open Ocean Racing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/117726-open-ocean-racing.html)

offshoredrillin 12-04-2005 05:13 PM

Re: Open Ocean Racing

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
You hit the nail square on the head!!! They don't run Busch on the same track and the same time, hell they don't even run it at the same venue on the same weekend. Exactly my point about too many classes. Image running both classes at the same time :eek: I'd bet they'd lose 70% of their fan base.

Nascar keeps the 2 classes as far apart as possible yet the brain trust in offshore racing runs 10 classes in a single afternoon with many of the the classes running together.

not nessecarily, they run the races at the track the same weekend, as a matter of fact in richmond they run the truck, busch and nextel cars in the same weekend, twice a year.

we really cant compare open ocean to a 2.5 mile track can we? if each class was started within increments of each other, the faster boats would stay ahead of the others and so on, therefor in theory making it smooth, the room to spread out and find good water is more prominent...that is in theory only though.

mr_velocity 12-04-2005 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
not nessecarily, they run the races at the track the same weekend, as a matter of fact in richmond they run the truck, busch and nextel cars in the same weekend, twice a year.

we really cant compare open ocean to a 2.5 mile track can we? if each class was started within increments of each other, the faster boats would stay ahead of the others and so on, therefor in theory making it smooth, the room to spread out and find good water is more prominent...that is in theory only though.

The SC lap the SCL while the SCL lap F2, this is on a 7 mile course. It just becomes a mess.

But everyone seems to miss the point about building the fan base. I suggest you sign up a corporate sponsor for big $$ ($120K - $150K) and have them bring clients in for the events. See the feedback you get and see how long the keep they money flowing. Contact the marketing dept at 3M, ask what they require out of a sponsorship program. You should be able to reach them. Our sponsor Tellium (a maker of core optical networking equipment) was into the WOW factor in a very big way, but even that was only good for 1.5 years before they began to yawn. By the end of the second season they didn't even care anymore mostly because they didn't understand what was happening on the race course and or the points structure.

RollWithIt 12-04-2005 05:30 PM

Ok. Been reading through this and taking some notes along the way as ideas came up.

First. We can not compare this to NASCAR. Yeah, we'd all like to. But its the equivalent of trying to design a plane after a rowboat. A boating equivalent to Nascar exists already. Its called Formula 1. So if I see one more person try to equate this to Nascar, I am going to find them and smack the taste out of their mouth.

What we are talking about is an entirely different style of racing all together. There is no single car type race that we can mimick or pattern this off of. We need to re-write the rule book for what will work for us. We can borrow on ideas that are already established. First we need to establish what kind of race do we want. Do we want a one stage endurance/distance first across the line wins type race? This could be the 150 mile race or a Miami to Bimini type race. Do we want a multi-day multi-stage timed event ala Tour De France? With something like this you can have set start and finish points for each stage. Your time in getting there is logged and the team that finishes each leg with the fastest overall time, wins. Plus you can have events at the finishing spot for each leg of the race. Do we want a furthest distance traveled in set amount of time event like the 24 hours of Lemans?

Next. Lets have some classes so everybody is included. But lets keep it simple. Over 30 foot and under 30 foot. Cats and V hulls. No matter on power or drive type. They can all start together in a big wide rolling start so its more exciting for everyone. Sure, the big dogs will pull out in front fast. But we like that. Believe me, endurance races are great equalizers. Its not always about who is the biggest and fastest. Durability, skill and luck also come into play. Follow an endurance race like the Eco Challenge and see who wins. Its not always the physically strongest team. Its the team that can consistently travel at the highest average speed.

Next, you can have each boat equiped with a GPS transponder that will constantly show its location and can be used to activate an emergency beacon. This will allow officials and emergency crews to keep track of each team during the race and allow for the quickest response available in case of emergeny. The rescue crews can be staged at set locations along the route to allow for an acceptable response time. Not to mention having safety crews in helo's to follow along the route also.

This can definately be done and will attract attention from fans and builders of boats along with equipment manufacturers. Imco could brag that their drives were on the winning boat. Or Weisman had the most durable drive and didnt fail. Winning boat powered by Hawk Power or Chiefs or JC Perf Duct Tape Specials. :D

Manufacturers would jump in for the bragging rights. Ford, GM, Dodge and all the other truck manufacturers use the toughness of their trucks as selling points. Why does someone buy a Hummer? Cause its tough. It would work here too. Fans would have an exciting race to watch and they would be able to see boats that they could buy or products that they could equipe their boats with.

offshoredrillin 12-04-2005 05:32 PM

I run my own race team sponserships and I am aware of the cost associated with it. I'm not trying to build a new race program, I'm speaking soley of a once a year big race. for all the marbles for a year. I see the prototype series and the rolex sgs series which i sponser two teams all out on the track at the same time...take for example the rolex 24 hrs at Daytona, all the teams are out there and it works, the sponserchip dollars are there, big names from nextel are driving GT cars... I still think with the right people working on it, it can be done...no one will know until its tried.

In reference to a comment on Nortech, Terry fully admits they dont build raceboats and I think nortech is one of the quality driven manufacturers out there. "IF" there were a race of this sorts, I sure hope they would at least think about it.

ChiToWn TapouT 12-04-2005 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
You hit the nail square on the head!!! They don't run Busch on the same track and the same time, hell they don't even run it at the same venue on the same weekend. Exactly my point about too many classes. Image running both classes at the same time :eek: I'd bet they'd lose 70% of their fan base.

Nascar keeps the 2 classes as far apart as possible yet the brain trust in offshore racing runs 10 classes in a single afternoon with many of the the classes running together.

Yeah but a race track (paved or ocean) is a little different
then running "open" ocean race. Were are talking 1 race once a year to "attract"
new fans and ultimately new buyers of boats. TV coverage is where its at, watching
the races on OLN sux your lucky if you get to see more then 2 boats in the screen.
You got to get on a major network its where the money is at.
What sponser doesnt want to be seen on a major network.
Broadcast from Fl. or Cali, MI or the East Coast. Its all in the way you market it.
Once a year its gotta be billed as the "super bowl" of offshore racing. Its all about the hype.

I dont think anyone is saying the whole year should be open ocean just
once a year so when you guys come to town the people who watched on tv
might actually come out to see it live.
If I was a MFG and they said it is to be the "super bowl" of offshore racing on a
major network (sat or sun afternoon) you bet your a$$ I'll have my team out there no matter what the cost.

NASTY HABIT 12-04-2005 05:35 PM

what happens after all the planning ....all the ducks are in a row ....all the people , media, the hype of big seas proving equipment and men and or women. The water is dead flat.

I'll race anyhow :evilb:

ChiToWn TapouT 12-04-2005 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Ok. Been reading through this and taking some notes along the way as ideas came up.

First. We can not compare this to NASCAR. Yeah, we'd all like to. But its the equivalent of trying to design a plane after a rowboat. A boating equivalent to Nascar exists already. Its called Formula 1. So if I see one more person try to equate this to Nascar, I am going to find them and smack the taste out of their mouth.

What we are talking about is an entirely different style of racing all together. There is no single car type race that we can mimick or pattern this off of. We need to re-write the rule book for what will work for us. We can borrow on ideas that are already established. First we need to establish what kind of race do we want. Do we want a one stage endurance/distance first across the line wins type race? This could be the 150 mile race or a Miami to Bimini type race. Do we want a multi-day multi-stage timed event ala Tour De France? With something like this you can have set start and finish points for each stage. Your time in getting there is logged and the team that finishes each leg with the fastest overall time, wins. Plus you can have events at the finishing spot for each leg of the race. Do we want a furthest distance traveled in set amount of time event like the 24 hours of Lemans?

Next. Lets have some classes so everybody is included. But lets keep it simple. Over 30 foot and under 30 foot. Cats and V hulls. No matter on power or drive type. They can all start together in a big wide rolling start so its more exciting for everyone. Sure, the big dogs will pull out in front fast. But we like that. Believe me, endurance races are great equalizers. Its not always about who is the biggest and fastest. Durability, skill and luck also come into play. Follow an endurance race like the Eco Challenge and see who wins. Its not always the physically strongest team. Its the team that can consistently travel at the highest average speed.

Next, you can have each boat equiped with a GPS transponder that will constantly show its location and can be used to activate an emergency beacon. This will allow officials and emergency crews to keep track of each team during the race and allow for the quickest response available in case of emergeny. The rescue crews can be staged at set locations along the route to allow for an acceptable response time. Not to mention having safety crews in helo's to follow along the route also.

This can definately be done and will attract attention from fans and builders of boats along with equipment manufacturers. Imco could brag that their drives were on the winning boat. Or Weisman had the most durable drive and didnt fail. Winning boat powered by Hawk Power or Chiefs or JC Perf Duct Tape Specials. :D

Manufacturers would jump in for the bragging rights. Ford, GM, Dodge and all the other truck manufacturers use the toughness of their trucks as selling points. Why does someone buy a Hummer? Cause its tough. It would work here too. Fans would have an exciting race to watch and they would be able to see boats that they could buy or products that they could equipe their boats with.

RIGHT ON!!!!! :cool:

RollWithIt 12-04-2005 05:45 PM

The first race might not have the coverage we'd all want. But it would catch on. Remember, all it took was for an american to do good in the Tour De France for that event to take off here. In the Us. So we get Freeze Frame Video or someone like that to cover it. RonP can take stills from the start and finish along with the pits and everything else. Then, we package that, take it to the boating public (Grassroots style) and slowly turn on the burner. As the next year comes closer, we turn the fire onto the major media centers like ESPN or ABC or hell. I bet Spike TV would be willing to pick it up. They show all these other motor shows and take pride in being TV for Men. They even picked up Ultimate Fighting as a weakly show. Why wouldnt they want to broaden their fanbase with this.

offshoredrillin 12-04-2005 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by KLAATU
OK ! I did al ittle research on most of you on this thread .
It seem's you all have boat's ready to do a race ,( Except maybe Trick who keep's pullin' off part's to keep the rest of you runnin' )That could put your'e Money where your'e mouth is . :evilb:

So you have a great Idea , You have the boat's , The water is alway's there . Do it amongst youre selves ! :drink:

I'll have my motors back in by feb or march then I'm in..getting ready to place an order for some beefier stuff..Thanks Teague marine:)

Comanche3Six 12-04-2005 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by NASTY HABIT
what happens after all the planning ....all the ducks are in a row ....all the people , media, the hype of big seas proving equipment and men and or women. The water is dead flat.

The Cats will win