Like Tree0Likes

What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?

Reply
Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 PM
  #11
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Harper220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Omaha~LOTO
My Boats: 2001 28 TD Daytona
Posts: 1,496
Default Re: What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?

I pretty much get the logistics of it now. I don't think I would gain any speed, but would sure benefit at LOTO with the rough water conditions.

Still curious about raising the x-dimension and if that would gain me anything? It's either going to be raise the x dim or add hp? Still looking for 6-8 mph... Any ideas or suggestions? I do appreciate everybody's help. Thanks
Harper220 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:38 PM
  #12
A to Z
Platinum Member
 
Sean H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: KC/LOTO
Posts: 9,156
Default Re: What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper220
I pretty much get the logistics of it now. I don't think I would gain any speed, but would sure benefit at LOTO with the rough water conditions.

Still curious about raising the x-dimension and if that would gain me anything? It's either going to be raise the x dim or add hp? Still looking for 6-8 mph... Any ideas or suggestions? I do appreciate everybody's help. Thanks
i think some of eliminators boats lately have had really high x dim and big props, which harms planing and acceleration, but gives you the big gps number you are looking for... what is the 6-8 worth to you? if you don't want to sacrifice low speed qualities, then i would add the HP....
Sean H is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:38 PM
  #13
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Michigan
My Boats: It's how well you go fast
Posts: 3,345
Default Re: What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?

to have compression you have a delta in flow. anything to create such a delta will have a direct impact (top or bottom)....this equates to lift.

never seen one design to drag in the water like a trim tab...often the are made from starboard.
audacity is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:42 PM
  #14
A to Z
Platinum Member
 
Sean H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: KC/LOTO
Posts: 9,156
Default Re: What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity
to have compression you have a delta in flow. anything to create such a delta will have a direct impact (top or bottom)....this equates to lift.

never seen one design to drag in the water like a trim tab...often the are made from starboard.
the latest designs give the tab some flexibility so they don't break in the rough as fast (the tab or the boat).... polypropelene is what MTI uses...

the smaller cats like eliminators are using trim tabs or small tabs from dana marine, they don't seal the tunnel and are mainly used for planing and rough water....(these tunnels aren't as deep as a true cat and the center pod and tab hit the water more often....)
Sean H is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:46 PM
  #15
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Harper220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Omaha~LOTO
My Boats: 2001 28 TD Daytona
Posts: 1,496
Default Re: What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean H
i think some of eliminators boats lately have had really high x dim and big props, which harms planing and acceleration, but gives you the big gps number you are looking for... what is the 6-8 worth to you? if you don't want to sacrifice low speed qualities, then i would add the HP....
How much more hp per motor would get me 6-8? I have 496 ho's... Would tube headers do it?

I know planing would suffer a bit, but I think mid-range would be faster in addition to top end. I run 5 blades this should help the planing issue.
Harper220 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:58 PM
  #16
Registered
 
apache21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sand Springs/Grand Lake oklahoma
Posts: 975
Default Re: What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?

You don't need the tab in rough water. It can cause you to trip
apache21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:02 PM
  #17
Registered
 
apache21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sand Springs/Grand Lake oklahoma
Posts: 975
Default Re: What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?

Here is the only type of tab i would have
Attached Thumbnails
What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?-4775_4.jpg   What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?-august%252010th%25202004%2520059.jpg  
apache21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:42 PM
  #18
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
rbtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Central, Ohio USA
My Boats: 2001 28 Eliminator Daytona
Posts: 1,074
Default Re: What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?

On the 28TD, we've seen about 1 mph per 15 - 20hp per engine. The short drives might help, it just depends on the X that Eliminator used the day your drives were mounted.
__________________
www.mtboats.com - Pages of boat related links
rbtnt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:03 AM
  #19
Registered
 
LIOPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: LONG ISLAND-NY
Posts: 1,335
Default Re: What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?

Some of the centerpod boats use 2 tabs as well.....one smaller tab behind each of the larger outside sponsons. I am not sure how effective they are but have seen several center pod cats with that set up as well.
LIOPA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:47 AM
  #20
A to Z
Platinum Member
 
Sean H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: KC/LOTO
Posts: 9,156
Default Re: What's the main benefit of a center tab on a cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOPA
Some of the centerpod boats use 2 tabs as well.....one smaller tab behind each of the larger outside sponsons. I am not sure how effective they are but have seen several center pod cats with that set up as well.
those would be trim tabs.. the same idea with them as a vee...
Sean H is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DALLAS
Drives and Lower Units
2
04-25-2008 06:28 PM
bonecrusher
General Boating Discussion
40
03-30-2006 12:14 PM
skaterboy
General Boating Discussion
5
04-20-2005 03:49 PM
Chuck
General Boating Discussion
2
09-05-2004 09:53 PM
MnFastBoat
Eliminator
3
04-11-2002 09:32 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.