Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
No fair pulling the Leviathan thread... >

No fair pulling the Leviathan thread...

Notices

No fair pulling the Leviathan thread...

Old 12-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: No fair pulling the Leviathan thread...

Wow a lot of people getting their panties in a bunch over one video. Here, let me get on my soapbox for my turn!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

use mine....
Attached Thumbnails No fair pulling the Leviathan thread...-fl_pix_sub_soapbox.jpg  
Old 12-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leviathan
I feel I ought to straighten things out a little here.

I run a wee boating site in the UK, kinda like a minature OSO, with a VB forum etc, R-Don was a member there some time ago, but he repeatedly caused trouble on the site, and admited openly that his goal when posting, was to get a 'reaction', what he would post to get that reaction became more and more unaceptable, and in the end he was banned.

Since then (6 months or more) he has re joined using various different usernames, about 5 in total, attempting to resume his rather 'odd' passtime of baiting the members of boatmad. Each time he has been re-banned.

He joined yet again in the last few days, and appears to really just not get the message, so a simple redirect script has been added to the server to steer him and his IP off to a more suitable website. No spyware or anything sinister, just another go at keeping him away from our site.

He is a waste of bandwidth!

JF

Theres a few like that here too

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would I have done it that close..nope.

Should it influence our insurance..nope. If they had an accident and that tape surfaced a claim would be denied due to the way the boat was being operated.

Could it, yes indirectly because there could be counter suites for parties that were not aware of the danger.

How is this video any different than other movies made? When I saw the first vid I first thought what an idiot but as I watched it and saw the same cruiser time and again even my small brain realized there was a good chance it was being filmed. The second vid confirmed it.

My only recomendation would be, in future videos give it a few more feet and put a disclaimer in that the actions were approved by all parties.

One other comment, the video of the guys getting chucked out of the cat that keeps being shown on TV and some stupid comment by Stacey Keech about not wearing seat belts pisses me off more as that was an organized race event and is totally being missrepresented. Whoever released that video to be used for that program in that way should be shot.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Strip Poker 388, I like the .gif in your sig, but I hope it doesn't represent the way you drive your car, cos if it does, you're single handedly destroying the auto insurance industry!

Last edited by leviathan; 12-28-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was awesome myself.
It seems not much different than the 'offshore' races with all the pleasure/ spectator boats damn near tied off of the markers. Or the people in the water where the race runs somewhat close to shore. Chit can happen under the right conditions.
Where's the video of the cat that catches air and heads for the spectators boat? Lets not for get the OSO Gladiator that got hit last yr. I don't recall seeing any post on here about how those 2 incidents were going to raise our insurance rates. And those were in rough waters, faster speeds, TONS of spectators nearby. Recall Sunseeker's scare while watching the race?

Don't be casting stones across the 'pond' when we have our on pond right here.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by leviathan
I feel I ought to straighten things out a little here.

I run a wee boating site in the UK, kinda like a minature OSO, with a VB forum etc, R-Don was a member there some time ago, but he repeatedly caused trouble on the site, and admited openly that his goal when posting, was to get a 'reaction', what he would post to get that reaction became more and more unaceptable, and in the end he was banned.

Since then (6 months or more) he has re joined using various different usernames, about 5 in total, attempting to resume his rather 'odd' passtime of baiting the members of boatmad. Each time he has been re-banned.

He joined yet again in the last few days, and appears to really just not get the message, so a simple redirect script has been added to the server to steer him and his IP off to a more suitable website. No spyware or anything sinister, just another go at keeping him away from our site.

He is a waste of bandwidth!

JF
Interesting indeed.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Registered

Ok... Everybody get up. Step away from the computer. Take a pee, a walk, do something to calm down. Now. Breath deeply.

Here's my take. Yes, I originally thought what an idiot. But, as I watched, I could see that there was a deliberatly repeated passing of the same boat. Then I watched the second video. That cleared alot up. At that time I started to look at it in the same light as if Tres Martin or someone of his abilities was shooting a video for a specific purpose, they would be qualified to drive a boat like that. I knew nothing of Leviathon's driving abilities, but, was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. This thread clears it up more in stating that they were filming for a movie. Maybe there should be a disclaimer in the video that the footage was made during the filming of a movie. All individuals involved are professionals and yadda yadda yadda. It would be like hollywood releasing footage from a movie with a car chase. Obviously that would not affect auto insurance rates.

The knee-jerk reaction that people are having here is that the fear is some insurance person will get ahold of this video and use it against us. All they have to assume, not correctly, is that all powerboat drivers operate their boats like this. And justify raising the rates. We all know how people can distort images, videos and comments to support what they want to do. Especially in a position of power to make the decisions. Yes, it seems like the insurance industry and politicians are on a which hunt. So we need to keep our heads. If you make a video, even for professional purposes, put in a disclaimer. Maybe they dont have to in England, laws may be different. But with the net, it wont stop someone from using it here, elluding that it is filmed here.

Sorry if its long. I hope it helps calm things down. I personally have an interest in these issues ever since I almost got killed by some A$$hole in a 42 fountain this past summer who blew by me in the middle of a no-wake zone throwing spray across my boat while I had 6 people on board. Too dark to get a name on the boat and they were going too fast. Had my boat been hit, I would not be here to type this.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by R-Don
Interesting indeed.
Like I said, 'not really'
Old 12-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Registered

I think that the video should have been pulled for the following reasons:

A. There are no women in it.
B. There are no women in it.
C. Not sure about the phrase, "Im gonna rinse the Credit Card", used in the video, it sounds decidedly effeminate to me!

Otherwise, some great footage filmed in the Solent.

Quick Reply: No fair pulling the Leviathan thread...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.