Notices

How to throttle properly

Old 12-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to throttle properly

Made sense to me. Guess I should have clarrified mine that you dont back all the way off. Just enough to keep rpm's down to keep from over revving and to try and match speed when re-entering. My bad.

Doesnt sound silly or too basic. I actually wonder what others are doing as far as how much trim do they run with the drive. I've always been told that you try to get it to the sweet spot. Right height for max speed. Too high and too much slip. Too low and too much drag. Dont know. I see guys throwing rooster tails with Bravo drives. I assume thats too much trim for that drive. Then the other issue is do you control porposing with drive or tabs. I like to keep trim higher and use tabs for stability. But maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by RollWithIt; 12-28-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Registered

if your pulling back on the throttle(s) when in the air...YOU ARE WAY TOO LATE....the propeller is you only dynamic control over the boat...the idea is to control how the boat leaves the water or better yet, so it doesn't!...snap the throttle off, too far, and or too soon and the bow will be heavy...too late, too much and it leave the bow too light...the boat should always be level, even if the outdrive is in the water.

it's damn near impossible to explain this verbally in few words...give Tres Martin's school a try...way worth the money and it's in florida.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: How to throttle properly

That 24 outlaw was a great 1st boat for me.I must of put in a motor every season( water reversion).Had a lot of good times in that boat!!Never a crack or hull problem,it ran in some heavy surf.I thought about getting one as a project but I have enough of those going on now.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
After the hull lands again, you want to get back on the throttle to keep your momentum up and get ready for the next roller. This will help to keep you from stuffing or having too hard of a landing.

If I am incorrect in any technique, anyone feel free to correct me.
Actually, I think you need to hit the sticks just as the props re-enter the water, not after the fact. If you wait until after the hull lands, you are too late.

It's like a clutch ... you want to match the prop speed to the water speed. Like tapping the gas pedal as you let out the clutch to match engine rev's.

If your props are spinning too slow on re-entry, it backloads torque onto the prop and that will tweak the shafts. It's like downshifting without bumping the gas pedal ... it loads the drivetrain and squawks the tires.

I have heard it is actually spinning too slow when landing with a high-pitched multiblade prop that has smoked more bravos.

Last edited by RedDog382; 12-28-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Registered

RedDog, thats pretty much what I've been doing. As the boat lands, I try to make sure the props are at the right RPM for the re-enty speed. Then roll the throttle on more to re-build the momentum I had prior to leaving the surface. This is what I meant by rolling back on the throttle once the hull lands again. Like I said before, maybe I should have been more detailed.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Registered

Thats a small amount of time to get back on the gas.By the time your prop bites the boat will be right behind it!Definately a little smooth throttle upon re entry would probably work the best.I was out on a friends cat( spectre with inboards and we caught a fair amount of air,he was back on the gas a little too hard and you could feel the boat lurch forward on re entry.I think that would be over compensating wouldnt you.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Registered

Roll the throttle on as the PROPS hit the water, not the HULL. Fine distinction to make, but I think it is important. If you look at the pics of my old 311 getting air in the Formula section, you will see there is a difference!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Registered

Ok.. My bad. Props not hull.... You get the idea though. Maybe I should have just said upon re-entry.

I do like your analogy of an automotive clutch.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Registered

Question,have you guys ever broken one?Not from wear but running hard?And not from tryin to kill it?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Registered

645 h.p. Sterlings through standard Bravo 1's for five years with no problems.

Roll With It,

Per your request:
Attached Thumbnails How to throttle properly-311-formula-009.jpg   How to throttle properly-311-formula-002.jpg   How to throttle properly-311-formula-001.jpg  

Quick Reply: How to throttle properly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.