Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Chief....What happened? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/119612-chief-what-happened.html)

Back4More 01-03-2006 01:20 PM

Chief....What happened?

1 Attachment(s)
Whats the deal here....?
They built this one 42' Big power boat and was never heard of since....
I was eager to see a new "V" for big water on the block. :(

Ms PatriYacht 01-03-2006 02:14 PM

Re: Chief....What happened?

Dockrocker had a thread on this topic last week, but did not get any reply from the Chief guys :( I hope that means they are too busy building a boat to reply to OSO threads :D.

Comanche3Six 01-03-2006 02:28 PM

Very nice looking powerboat!

Titan 01-03-2006 02:49 PM

I would have to agree. That boat is really nice looking. Simple paint yet very cool looking...

Emaginashun 01-03-2006 03:31 PM

The banner is still on the top of the page and goes to the website.

cuda 01-03-2006 03:46 PM

Great looking boat. Did they ever get any performance numbers?

CAP071 01-03-2006 06:48 PM

I don't recall seeing any Magazine articles on it either

Too Old 01-03-2006 07:10 PM

I hear it's pretty fast. ;)

bryanspeedracer 01-03-2006 08:52 PM

I want a ride in it. I'll foot the bill for fuel and noise tickets...

GOODT 01-03-2006 09:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
personaly think they where a crock of s**t they where nothing more then actives wiyh cheif on the side, thefirst boats on there site where boats we had in stock when I worked for american and they where actives that someone photoshoped the logo off the side the blue 37 they showed and the 28 red its like taking a foutain hull refitting it and calling it something else active makes one h*ll of a boat I think it was a mistake for pat to get involved to begin with.

bryanspeedracer 01-03-2006 09:41 PM

Thats not very nice...

CAP071 01-03-2006 09:43 PM

Well Thank God that scaming fool isn't building boats

GOODT 01-03-2006 09:53 PM

might not be nice but its true! on the chief forums I questioned what was going on and the owner of american got a call from the people at chief asking me to remove my posts...

bryanspeedracer 01-03-2006 10:01 PM

Welp,

I'll still spring for fuel;)

Too Old 01-03-2006 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by GOODT
personaly think they where a crock of s**t they where nothing more then actives wiyh cheif on the side.........

So this boat is really an Active Thunder?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

dreamer 01-03-2006 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
So this boat is really an Active Thunder?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

no... its a chief

i spent a day w/ bobby s during the summer...

im just not gonna get into this one :rolleyes:

did someone say APACHE :evilb:

10x 01-03-2006 11:51 PM

Whatever it is............. it looks pretty darn good. :D Sure would like to see some more detailed pics tho. :evilb:

Too Old 01-03-2006 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer
no... its a chief

i spent a day w/ bobby s during the summer...

im just not gonna get into this one :rolleyes:

did someone say APACHE :evilb:

OK.....I guess I was just confused by GOODT's post.

Semper Fi 01-04-2006 01:23 AM

Whatever is going on, it doesn't look good for Cheif Powerboats. :( I would think if they were "ok" they would post some info here.

I wish them well though :drink:

10x 01-04-2006 02:01 AM

Knowing Scott, I'm sure he's doing well. :D He's not the kind of guy that's gonna brag about what he's "gonna" build, till it's done, tested and proven. And when that time comes, we're all gonna be in for an ear full !!! :cool:

Emaginashun 01-04-2006 06:59 AM

They had a party a few years back, and they sure did brag about a lot of things then, and now the phone is disconnected, and others are not saying anything - makes me wonder what happened and it doesn't look good.

They alway would post way back when, but nothing much in the last year or more.

Sydwayz 01-04-2006 08:26 AM

Quick and dirty accurate info:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...9&postcount=27

Full thread from a week ago:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=118921

Boomer 880 01-04-2006 09:17 AM

My problem with this is the fact that Chief used this site to hype and promote their boat and company for a LONG time. Now no one will address the question of the status of the company. Some of the founders are still posting on OSO (so they are around), but not addressing this subject.

I can only ASSUME that there must be some legal issues abound, and no one from Chief is allowed to speak.

I wish the best for the company and all involved.

Emaginashun 01-04-2006 10:13 AM

Strange.

OldSchool 01-04-2006 10:25 AM

Isn't Marc Blondin (Boatme) with Chief?? Maybe he can comment on the situation so the rumor mill can stop.

Ms PatriYacht 01-04-2006 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=Boomer 880]My problem with this is the fact that Chief used this site to hype and promote their boat and company for a LONG time. Now no one will address the question of the status of the company. Some of the founders are still posting on OSO (so they are around), but not addressing this subject.
QUOTE]

What ever gave you the idea that they usesd this site to promote Chief, oh you mean this thread that had over 7,000 views
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=96194 :D sounds like it was more than a marketing marrige at one time:D (good post to read is 86)

I wish all the parties involved well, and hope that Chief boats are built, but boomer is right they used our board and our posts to promote their idea, so wouldn't a comment be the polite thing to do. The don't have to spill all the beans or go into all the gory details just something to all of us that wished them well.

bryanspeedracer 01-04-2006 10:36 AM

Why can't a boat company be regarded the same way that custom cars and motorcycles are?
Boyd started bulding cars on a small level as did say Jessie James with choppers.
Why are people so ornery about their "Lack of boats"? I would venture to guess that the most critical people here aren't in the market for their boat(s) anyway. Do we criticize them just because they won't have a boat at "The big boat show" to drool over?
If the crew at Chief only build one boat at a time, so what. Everybody starts a day one.

Whew, I feel better now... Back to *****in'

Ms PatriYacht 01-04-2006 10:41 AM

Some might say it is none of our business but in addition to the fairly recent promoting on OSO, a party was also organized through the board to promote the Chief company. Two years ago in Grand Rapids OSO members icluding myself came from all over MI, IL, & IN, to hear a "big announcement". We all paid money to attend, stayed in hotels and got to listen to their pitch for close to an hour. (it was a fun party :drink: )

Chief has had a ton of publicity and hype for over two years on this site, please don't fault people for being curious to the outcome. I am sure no one would fault them if they made one or two boats, or even no boats. But if you draw people into to your hype you should at least make a comment

bryanspeedracer 01-04-2006 11:05 AM

Well said Ms. PatriYacht.

My opinion (For what it's worth) is that curiosity comes in two forms, the "Gee Whiz" and the "Critical".
I'm sure that any represenative from this company would be more than happy to field gee whiz questions. Unfortunately, the rep would probably be inundated with the critical. And we all know that bantering on a website is far too easy and quite frankly, bad for business. You would have to assume that the project has not gone as smoothly as they (Everone else?) expected. Otherwise, pics of that boat would be refered every other week. I understand the curiosity (I'd like to know myself).
As far as parties go, I'd like to go to every "New, greatest boat on Earth" party for the party. For me, it's the people. I could never go under the pretense as an investor and I don't try to fool myself otherwise.

Emaginashun 01-04-2006 12:25 PM

What is a marketing marriage? :D

boatme 01-04-2006 12:51 PM

Ok just to clear things up from my stand point, since many are referring to my involvement which Chief Powerboats and the postings I was so involved with at the start

These are the facts

1) I have NOT been involved with Chief Powerboats for a few months now. I was heavily involved at the start
2) Active Thunder and Chief Powerboats are no longer a joint entity. The initial directions was to function jointly at the time, the company was promoted this way, but is no longer working as a joint proposition. There was not enough benefit to either group to continue (just a business decision don’t read anything into it)
3) Active Thunder is alive and continuing to do well. Pat has a new 33’ coming out replacing the 32’ and he is still building his line of 28’, , and 37’ boats. I can tell you first hand these are great boats, and they handle incredible
4) I believe Chief is still an operational boat company, (Last I heard) and the 42' will soon be seen on the water (By the way this is one hell of a boat)
5) As far as how this boat was hyped - Promotion is PROMOTING, and it is designed to build interest and a bit of hype. The promotion of Chief Powerboats was done with the intention of generating interest (apparently that has worked well) this does not necessarily mean it will, or will not, be successful. This just means the intentions were out there, and the ground work was set, to build momentum. I can assure you the boat itself is real and is unbelievable.

Let’s all sit back and wait and see what is next. If Chief succeeds then we will have one more great boat line to enjoy in the offshore community. If they fail we still have many other choices of great performance boats to look at, drool over. And hopefully, if we are lucky we will own one of the great boats that we all obsess over.

Relax, when the time comes I am sure you all will get answers to your questions. Until then there are lots of other boats to enjoy, and let’s not fuel speculation on things no one knows for sure

Marc

Ms PatriYacht 01-04-2006 01:02 PM

Marc, thanks you response was classy and well put, sorry but alot of us have been curious. I am sure all of us wish success to both companies

Gordo 01-04-2006 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
OK.....I guess I was just confused by GOODT's post.

Either his post, or Sydwayzs' post, or Marcs' post, or all the above.
So, What's a 33 Chief look like?

Jassman 01-04-2006 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gordo
Either his post, or Sydwayzs' post, or Marcs' post, or all the above.
So, What's a 33 Chief look like?

Call Pat up, or stop by, should be ready by Miami. BTW Its a A.T. not Chief.

Gordo 01-04-2006 02:28 PM

From Sydwayz;

There is no merger between Active Thunder and Chief. It was and is a marketing marriage. Plain and simple: If you want a 28/33/37/42/47 (47 still under development) foot boat built with a quality hull and some Bobby Saccenti influence and craftsmanship; you get ahold of Bobby & Chief Powerboats.
Just trying to make sure I've got it right...

Emaginashun 01-04-2006 02:43 PM

Gordo, always 2 sides to every story :eek:

Boomer 880 01-04-2006 03:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback/update Marc.

10x 01-04-2006 03:40 PM

Thanks Marc. :D

Bob Saccenti 01-04-2006 03:59 PM

Thank you 10X

You are absolutely correct. We will be hearing from Scott in the very near future. As you all know “The NEW 42’ CHIEF” was rigged at Marine Performance in Daytona Florida. As soon as John finished up all the wrenching, it’s off to the water we went. John’s crew and myself started the testing procedure like any other proto type project requires. We played with spacers and propellers to get the best performance as possible. The bottom line is the largest set of propellers we had where 17 ˝” X 34” unfortunately they did not do the job. Since then we ordered a set of 18” X 35” (4) blades (Man!!! do I miss Lake X in Kissimmee Fl.) that should be the right propeller for the Chief. We are expecting to be in the low one hundreds with a solid ride using a pair of mild 950 SC Tommy Chief Engines…

Now with the testing ALMOST complete and we are waiting on our new propellers. Its time to complete the cabin and cockpit interior. The Chief ‘s interior also had to be prototyped by Mike Mears at Fine Line in Miami and is just about completed.

The Chief will be back at Marine Performance next week for the finale adjustments and last prop test. All follow OSO members who are in the area are welcome to stop by and take a look at the New Chief…

I know we been very quit about the Chief project. But the facts are there are a lot of people everyday behind the scenes working very hard to make sure that the finale product is Perfect, Fast, and Safe…

Thank You
Bobby Saccenti

PhantomChaos 01-04-2006 04:29 PM

Hi Bobby!!!! Happy New Year! :drink: :drink: :drink: