Notices

Boarding boats at shows

Old 01-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boarding boats at shows

There really is no solution. Signs help. Velvet ropes help. But some people are just rude and think these boats are there for thier amusement. I stopped doing shows because I got sick of it.

NO FOOD
NO SHOES
NO DRINKS are a MUST

"Who told you to wear THOSE shoes to a boat show anyway?"
Old 01-07-2006, 07:11 PM
BK
Registered

How about a requirement that everyone who plans to board and look around must fill out a credit report first? At least that will weed out the ones who aren't all that interested. And you won't insult the real buyers either.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Re: Boarding boats at shows

Originally Posted by Loan Ranger
Put a greeter on the back of the boat to control traffic and limit the number of people on board at any one time. They can also ensure that nobody has food or drink and shoes are off. Also if you have somebody serious, they can close the boat to give the sales person time to work their client.
This seems pretty good to me. Carpet savers are a must.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad you even have to ask the question.

I'd never dream of boarding a boat at a show without the invitation of a sales person.

I'm more than content to just have a glance inside from the stairs or platform. If I were seriously shopping, I'm sure I'd be welcome to board with a sales rep.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

It seems that there are always people with unruly kids showing up that think the boats are just another piece of playground equipment.
Boarding by appointment only seems to work pretty well. That way the sales manager has an opportunity to qualify the serious customer. People that just want to board to let their kids play on it for a while, usually won`t want to make that effort. Then, they are on their way to the next piece of playground equipment. Some people get a little upset but the serious prospects usually understand. Just be diplomatic and polite and let the chips fall where they may.

Roger
Old 01-07-2006, 07:50 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Robert, I go to several shows a year and take my 3 kids. I fit the description of the worst type of "prospect" at the shows. I have no problem with signs and make sure my kids and I do not have on shoes, or take food/ drinks onto the boats. Cushions are to be crossed on your knees, not your feet. Sold signs (even if fake) may help a little but may discourage someone who thinks they can get THAT boat at a good deal.

A sign stating "Unattended Children and Childish Adults will be confiscated and used for cleaning dirty boats" may help get the point across.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Lots of good thoughts here on a very sticky problem. I am thinking of a rope across the steps that say "Boarding By Appointment" "Please see any of our sales associates" Possibly anyone that is offended by that is someone that it doesn't matter if I offend? Tough call.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think boarding by appointment should offend anyone.

But I'm sure I'm wrong.....
Old 01-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tough call. I guess you have to draw the line...but where? Would be a shame to lose a customer for a certain reason. On the other hand, alot of people are STUPID and would just walk onto an expensive boat with shoes, food, drinks, etc...

Why don't you look around to what the other dealers are doing at the show. Maybe this can give you a better idea what works and what doesn't. Good luck.

If the crowds are too big to show a prospective client, offer the client a personal viewing of the boat after the show. You will need to have a reason to get the client to your showroom....maybe offer him a dinner or something?
Old 01-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Lots of good thoughts here on a very sticky problem. I am thinking of a rope across the steps that say "Boarding By Appointment" "Please see any of our sales associates" Possibly anyone that is offended by that is someone that it doesn't matter if I offend? Tough call.
I agree. Anyone that is wanting to spend that much on a boat will appreciate you taking care of the boat, at least IMO.

To me the questions is - why do people come to boat shows? Some to seriously buy, but tons of folks are just looking and it is a way to get out and enjoy yourself in the middle of the winter. I go to a couple shows a year. I average buying every 3-4 years. So do the math. I probably board hundreds of boats for each time I buy. With that, I also fully respect any boat at the show, and treat it as though it was mine, not the dealers.

With that, I think your idea is a good one. Allow lookers to get a close look, but maybe not board. Let those you think have potential to be more than lookers board with a sales person.

Quick Reply: Boarding boats at shows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.