Notices

Save the Old Race Boats

Old 05-29-2006, 09:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Save the Old Race Boats

If you had an ex race boat would you paint it back to original? mine is a 1991, so I am close. there are alot of opinions in the past forums about the original owner having name rights on a fairness level.

what do you think? also,pant work would be a major expense to put into an older boat for sale value.
thoughts??
Ken
Old 05-29-2006, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Ken

It would depend on the actual boat.......let's say that someone actually found the "Cigarette" that Aronow raced, it would not be a smart move to repaint that boat red and re name it. As with sportscars, the value lies in the restoration process. The objective is to bring it back to as original condition as possible.

As far as the engines etc, modern stuff would be more preferable, if the boat is to be used....if just a show boat, set up dummies that look like the old stuff.

Not easy answers....what if you found the old Dante's Inferno that became Betty Cook's first open class racer, which name and color scheme would you put on the boat??

In the end, it comes down to the owners own idea of what makes the boat more valuable and enjoyable for him.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-offshore-history0031a.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-offshore-history0030a.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 05-29-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BT... I will respectfully agree to disagree. The boat "Maltese Magnum" was not in the evolution of the 32/33. It was in the evolution of the model... Maltese Magnum.. the same boat that saw such names as "midnight maddness"(owend and raced by the Smith Brothers... Ex Renegade fame) and others owned by Bobby Sheer and Howard Qualm. Just my 2 cents...
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-maltese.jpg   Save the Old Race Boats-1.bmp  
Old 05-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This displays the cross sections at the entry only... 32/ 33 is Convex, 28 is Straight... A classic North Carolina sportfish would be Concave.... Etc.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-oso-copy.jpg  
Old 05-30-2006, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Really MidOcean I knew what do you mean,but to me the 1967's 28' and the 32' had the same entry convex. Maybe the 28' was little bit to straight instead the 32'.
If we should have the original scale drawings....
Old 05-30-2006, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad Girl
Your question is difficult to answer.
But in the example posted by McCarthy regarded the Cig.36' Dante's Inferno-Kaama surely I should have done the original version of that 36',by two reasons:
It was the only Dante's Inferno( there was two Dante's-89/98 but we don't know where is the second)
There was other Kaama more famous,the World Champion in 1977 Scarab 38' or the second bought by Betty Cook in 1979-80.

Otherwise I think that is better remake the original version of a race boat scecially if it have had a onoured racing career,and it is unusual to found a boat that have had a better career than the original version.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi guys! My 2 cents-worth!

The way I see it - any restoration should be to the most renowned livery. Of course it could be a matter of geography - over here in Europe Dante's Inferno was not a famous boat. But as Kaama, it won the prestigious Cowes Torquay race in 1978 with you know who driving. So if you asked me I would of course say that that particular hull should be restored to the Kaama livery.

Another example would be the Yellowdrama - Benihana cat. But then, what about trying out the Nuri Subuncu approach and having two different names on each side?? a.la. Turkish Express/Chairman of the Board??!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Looking for photos of this boat that raced in Europe in the early 80's.

I know that this actual boat, was in fact, designed by Jean claude Simon....as I paid the original bill for the design work.
Attached Thumbnails Save the Old Race Boats-coyote-dry-martini0002ab.jpg  
Old 05-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KAAMA is in the house!!!

I have the '79 Kaama Scarab that Betty Cook raced as "KAAMA" then "Michelob Light". Was sold to Ron Hirschberg and raced as "Revenge".

Anybody that knows this boat PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE call me. I am documenting the history and would love to get more info on Betty Cook, etc. Mention OSO , KAAMA, etc when leaving a message and I will return call ASAP.

Thanks!
Ronnie aka Bulldog
H 1-985-893-3831
W 1-228-688-3414
Old 05-31-2006, 12:05 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldog
KAAMA is in the house!!!

I have the '79 Kaama Scarab that Betty Cook raced as "KAAMA" then "Michelob Light". Was sold to Ron Hirschberg and raced as "Revenge".

Anybody that knows this boat PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE call me. I am documenting the history and would love to get more info on Betty Cook, etc. Mention OSO , KAAMA, etc when leaving a message and I will return call ASAP.

Thanks!
Ronnie aka Bulldog
H 1-985-893-3831
W 1-228-688-3414
Ronnie,

Contact OSO member Lucididee.
She may have all you want to know about Betty Cook.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: Save the Old Race Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.