Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Turnkey Boat vs. Project Boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/120014-turnkey-boat-vs-project-boat.html)

Clay Washington 01-09-2006 11:34 AM

Turnkey Boat vs. Project Boat

I know, I know... I have too many active threads already. :p

Should I get a "turnkey" boat like this one --> http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-8331.html

Or shoud I get a "project boat" like this one --> http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-8446.html

The "turnkey" boat is about three times more expensive than the "project" boat. $45K vs. $15K

If I got the "project boat", I would pay my mechanic to do all the necessary work to make it "turnkey".

Thanks! :cool:

Clay

offshoredrillin 01-09-2006 11:42 AM

Re: Turnkey Boat vs. Project Boat

Turn key, that scarab is beautiful...

beachbob 01-09-2006 11:54 AM

That scarab is nice but its not worth anywhere close to 45,000 check the book value and add 20k still should be less then 30k. engines aren't fresh either..My .02 cents keep looking.... If your not gonna be doing any of the rehab work yourself buy a turnkey boat or you could have problems.. when u should be out there crushing some waves ....

PurpleStuff 01-09-2006 12:05 PM

buy the newest and nicest boat you can from the start. you can always customize later....

Stormrider 01-09-2006 12:21 PM

of those 2, the scarab is the way to go. that suits your needs perfectly, and the c-mates would like it better.

But I'd low bid the scarab and keep looking.

BGIII 01-09-2006 12:23 PM

buy the newest and nicest boat you can from the start. you can always customize later....

Add longest to that list and don't stray from it. You will not regret having the newest, longest, nicest boat you can right from the start.

gotime34 01-09-2006 12:26 PM

All I can say is that a mechanic doing the work will be expensive. I'd go with turnkey and add coll sh1t as you go.

LostinBoston 01-09-2006 12:38 PM

Buy a project if you already have a turnkey reliable boat to have fun with while the project is dragging out and comsuming tons more cash then originally estimated. PLus i would want something that is ready to roll right now.

wantsa311 01-09-2006 12:39 PM

Every time I mess around with a project it ends up costing me way more than I thought it would. Even with a "turn key" there will be plenty of opportunities to spend more money.

Cash Bar 01-09-2006 12:43 PM

That is one nice Scarab.

Of course, I voted project as I am the current owner and know how nice it would be. :rolleyes:

Clay Washington 01-09-2006 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by CASH BAR
That is one nice Scarab.

Of course, I voted project as I am the current owner and know how nice it would be. :rolleyes:

I understand... Assuming that the engines and outdrives are in good shape, I pretty sure that I could put ten to fifteen grand into your boat, and have one "sweet ass" ride. :evilb:

I would not be doing any of the work, so I could run through $15K real quick. But, I have 100% trust in Bob Lloyd at Full Throttle Marine, so I know my money will be well spent.

It's a tough decision. But, it's exciting to "boat shop" knowing that I will be buying something in the next few weeks. :D

Shore Thing 01-09-2006 12:55 PM

turnkey without a doubt. If you planned on doing the work yourself, it MIGHT be a different story.

UNSANE 01-09-2006 12:56 PM

Punt.... :evilb: :evilb:

Audiofn 01-09-2006 12:57 PM

Ussually I would say Turnkey. Especially if you have been fallowing my saga. However that boat of Cash bars is a project but one that you should be able to see exactly what you are doing. The problem with mine was that the issues kept going, all the way to the front :( :(

29scarab 01-09-2006 01:01 PM

I say "Turnkey"!! :D

And a single engine 29scarab,,,but I'm kinda biased on the issue! :evilb: :D

DirtyMoney 01-09-2006 01:35 PM

I have Cashbars boat at my shop and if i didn't have so many other projects going on I would do buy it and finish it for the summer. It does need glass and interior work but that is it. Mechanically the boat is in great shape and anyone interested in the boat cam PM me for info of what is needed.

Beau

dreamer 01-09-2006 02:13 PM

buy this for fifty and save yourself any aggrevation...

i know u want to stay under 40k but youll be happier w/ somethin like this
http://www.boattraderonline.com/cadd...1/77693531.htm

remember all other cost will be the same gas dockage etc... great boat and the claymates will LOVE it...

beachbob 01-09-2006 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer
buy this for fifty and save yourself any aggrevation...

i know u want to stay under 40k but youll be happier w/ somethin like this
http://www.boattraderonline.com/cadd...1/77693531.htm

remember all other cost will be the same gas dockage etc... great boat and the claymates will LOVE it...

:hothead: BLASPHEMY!!! :evilb: You could be struck down by the GOFAST GODS for contemplating such a BOAT!!

Clay Washington 01-09-2006 02:35 PM

LMAO @ Beach Bob! Not to worry... I want the "go fast" look... low windshield, large sunpad, stand-up bolsters, etc.

The Formula SS series is very nice, but not what I'm looking for right now...

Strip Poker 388 01-09-2006 02:55 PM

Thats a very clean Scarab!!

t500hps 01-09-2006 03:03 PM

I have bought a couple boats that were small projects to clean-up use and re-sell. F-that! It gets old and you always spend more money and ALOT more time fixing them up than you anticipate.
BTW: i didn't vote for the turnkey.....#3 is going to winn al the votes! :D

Steve_H 01-09-2006 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by beachbob
That scarab is nice but its not worth anywhere close to 45,000 check the book value and add 20k still should be less then 30k. engines aren't fresh either..My .02 cents keep looking.... If your not gonna be doing any of the rehab work yourself buy a turnkey boat or you could have problems.. when u should be out there crushing some waves ....

so book value is less then 10K?
what book are you reading?

Clay Washington 01-09-2006 03:37 PM

Steve,

I believe that Bob is saying that it would be tough (if not impossible) to get a bank to loan me $40K for a 1989 31-foot Scarab. I could probably get a loan for $25K and have to come up with $15K in cash.

I could probably borrow $15K for a 1988 29-foot Fountain and spend another $10K making it look "super clean". I just have to decide if I want to go down that road... :rolleyes:

lightspeed 01-09-2006 04:01 PM

I Bought And Sold 8 Boats This Past Summer But I Do All The Work My Self. Its A Tough Call Scarab Is Nice But Too Much Money So Rule That One Out.The Fountain Is Nice But Its On The Old Side And It Needs Glass Work Paint And Interior Your Lookin At A Few Bucks There .If I were You I Would Keep On Looking A Deal Will Pop up Cause If Its A Good Deal I Will Be there To BUY It If I Come Across What You Are Lookin For I Will Let You Know ..Hows The PLAYMATES////////If You Are Lookin For Outboards I Have A Super mint 26 CORSA twin 200 Mercs On A Bracket Large Sun Pad Runs 80 All Day Long For 20K

Steve_H 01-09-2006 04:02 PM

ok, that makes sense.

OldSchool 01-09-2006 04:52 PM

Buy a turn key boat that is ready to go. Unless you LOVE doing that kind of thing (fixing up old stuff), it's always a joy to finish a project...but you NEVER get any return on your investment (especially if you count the hours of your time).

If you buy a turnkey boat, make sure that it's turnkey!!! It's easy to put a dress on a pig, but it's still a pig!!!! Too many people have bought what they think is a nice older boat...only to be replacing an engine or other major things within a short time.

Edward R. Cozzi 01-09-2006 04:58 PM

Clay:
If you decide on the Fountain I can survey it for you myself. Deerfield Beach is near me.
Ed

Clay Washington 01-09-2006 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Clay:
If you decide on the Fountain I can survey it for you myself. Deerfield Beach is near me.
Ed

Thanks, but the Fountain is in a warehouse in Atlanta. The seller (Greg - Cash Bar) is in Deerfield Beach. :p

Clay Washington 01-09-2006 05:17 PM

BTW... Option #3 is in the lead! I'm not feeling the love anymore! :( :p

RollWithIt 01-09-2006 05:27 PM

You should just buy my boat clay. 88 Baja 240 Sport. Single 454 mag and is definately turn key. :D

Edward R. Cozzi 01-09-2006 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
Thanks, but the Fountain is in a warehouse in Atlanta. The seller (Greg - Cash Bar) is in Deerfield Beach. :p

Woops, sorry. Didn't know.

FunHome 01-09-2006 05:49 PM

I voted for #3!!!! :D

Projects are not for everyone, however I enjoy them!!

Buy what you want!!! Just BUY IT!! and get those women of yours to pose for more pic's!!! :evilb:

375stinger 01-09-2006 05:59 PM

projects can be fun.....but don't plan on it costing whatever it is you originally plan. we used cheapest places we could, and did work ourselves on the cig, and have spent over twiced the original cost estimate on the work done to it. that scarab is a clean boat, and would be perfect, but at that price it is a little out of line IMO. id say low ball the scarab, cuse that fountain looks like it could use much tlc. :drink:

ratman 01-09-2006 05:59 PM

clay i'll sell you my 35ft mistress cheap enough that you buy stainless marine manifolds and go thru hull, and a 4" tall air cleaner will stay under hatch. my engine hatch is alum so it would be no problem to fill in the openings for the exhaust and the pro stock scoops. its a sweet old cig and a lot more boat then the beak boats your looking at. plus you'll never kill the #3's or extra plate bw72 trannies, fresh 577's withjust over 20 hours on em. i wanna buy daddy cool and paint it back to original colors and run it in poker runs and any races that will have an old school class :D

CAP071 01-09-2006 06:05 PM

TURN KEY

Because even the turn key boat is gonna need some work :D :rolleyes:

lucky strike 01-09-2006 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by CAP071
TURN KEY

Because even the turn key boat is gonna need some work :D :rolleyes:

Now thats the truth :eek:

LS

Too Old 01-09-2006 06:21 PM

If you don't have the time or inclination to do the work I'd scratch the project boats off the list.

And this is coming from a guy who loves a project. :D

Monza SS 24 01-09-2006 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my project boat, I'm tired of working on it. I have a new Konrad outdrive and new tabs and new steering to put on it. If I could get the $100,000 that I spent to make it run and look better I would buy something newer. The boat has been in my family since 1983. The Wife says no newer boat.....

epeek 01-09-2006 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by wantsa311
Every time I mess around with a project it ends up costing me way more than I thought it would. Even with a "turn key" there will be plenty of opportunities to spend more money.

Amen to that !! Go turnkey.......because nothing is
really turnkey when its 15 year old. Believe me,
you'll have a helluva a lot more than 15k in that
Fountain.Especially if your paying someone else to
do the work. That boat looks like 30k to make it
nice agian. No offense Cashbar :D. I've been there,
done that,on a boat that started out in alot better
condition and dropped 25k in a heatbeat. And
I did all the work myself !

Clay Washington 01-09-2006 08:55 PM

Hmmmmm... :(