Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
whats involved with a alpha to bravo swap? >

whats involved with a alpha to bravo swap?

Notices

whats involved with a alpha to bravo swap?

Old 01-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default whats involved with a alpha to bravo swap?

im lloking at some older donzis and dont like the alpha drives as they have an aversion to the sticks and hosrepower so was wondering whats involed in swapping it out for a bravo. what can i expect to pay for a coplete used bravo drive and transum assm. thx ratman
Old 01-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: whats involved with a alpha to bravo swap?

Drilling 2 extra holes for the transom plate,which you can use as a template.The hole is the same for bravo.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: whats involved with a alpha to bravo swap?

Rat Dude, not 100% but if memory serves from some tech readings that only one extra hole in the transom has to be drilled and the bravo bolts right up. Again, I am not real techy! Wrink
Old 01-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There might be a hight difference.
I think I read somewhere that the bravo is longer than the alpha.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easiest of all drive changes, just drill the two top holes as Crack said.I did it to a 26 Hustler with no problems at all. It was worth it just toget rid of the shift interrupt switch.
TOM
Old 01-27-2022, 04:31 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plumbers crack
Drilling 2 extra holes for the transom plate, which you can use as a template. The hole is the same for bravo.
I know this is a very old thread, but I have the opportunity to purchase two complete bravo setups. I have researched this quite a bit, but still have not found a definitive answer. Hoping someone can shed some light. I have a 32' Pachanga and built 600HP roller 454's. It has alpha gen 1's and I know they are not gonna like it. I know the alpha gen 2 are extremely close (if not the same) as a bravo. Do I just need 2 extra holes going from a gen 1 to bravo or is there more to it? All I see is reference to "alpha" but never specifies gen 1 or gen 2. Added bonus to this - I can run one bravo in reverse to get counter rotating props :-)

Thank you in advance!
Old 01-27-2022, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

You'll also need to install raw water pumps that are belt driven for the bravo. The thermostat housing changes too I believe.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

I went from Alpha gen 1 to bravo drive.
Drill 2 bottom bolt holes 1/2" I believe
Bravo shift plate.
MAY need new shift cable, older style transom end on Alphas
Raw water pump with bracket.
3 grove pulley set. Crank/recirculating water pump.
New v-belts
New raw water hoses (transom to raw water pump and raw pump to oil cooler).
That should about do it..
I think this is close to the list.
Check here on OSO with sickstinger (Mike Mellow) for the parts you need)
Old 01-27-2022, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by spunner
I know this is a very old thread, but I have the opportunity to purchase two complete bravo setups. I have researched this quite a bit, but still have not found a definitive answer. Hoping someone can shed some light. I have a 32' Pachanga and built 600HP roller 454's. It has alpha gen 1's and I know they are not gonna like it. I know the alpha gen 2 are extremely close (if not the same) as a bravo. Do I just need 2 extra holes going from a gen 1 to bravo or is there more to it? All I see is reference to "alpha" but never specifies gen 1 or gen 2. Added bonus to this - I can run one bravo in reverse to get counter rotating props :-)

Thank you in advance!
The outer plates for bravo and gen 2 have the same part number. Same holes.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by spunner

Thank you in advance!
What was the life span of an Alpha spinning on a 600hp roller engine in a 'changa?
Alpha's (let alone the coupler) should explode getting on plane as the Pachanga wasn't the lightest of boats... similar to a warhorse Apace with 1000's and a B1 taped to the transom

Quick Reply: whats involved with a alpha to bravo swap?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.