Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   IMCO 2" shorties group purchase? Anyone interested? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/120414-imco-2-shorties-group-purchase-anyone-interested.html)

Tinkerer 01-17-2006 06:35 PM

Re: IMCO 2" shorties group purchase? Anyone interested?

Quiet Storm -- Where do you live??

articfriends 01-17-2006 06:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Harper220
If you use Bravo shop lower and go with 2" shortie and it's too high, think about how you will space back down? Are IMCO spacers compatible? I would think not, but don't quote me...

Just something else to think about, not to mention they're double the cost of the IMCO's.

To straighten out any confusion,the bravo shop lower case,max machine worx lower case,Imco lower case,sportmaster lower case and stock bravo case ALL bolt to the same exact upper bravo,bravo xr,bravo x etc so the same spacers will work on ANY of them.
I am still leaning towards the max machine worx billet case because I am running 950 plus ft lbs of tq and their "angle" is that they are using a double wide bearing on the vertical shaft which is supposed to keep lower gears in better contact to prevent lower gear failure. I have also heard of the imco vert shaft shearing off right at the bearing just like a stock one. At a lower power level it probably would be a non-issue. I'm not sure a 2" shortie will even work on my boat but I think it will. I hate to spend 3500$ on the max lower casing and shaft just to find out boat won't lift the bow or plane out anymore!! :eek: Anyone in michigan who has a shortie I could try for a day before taking the plunge?,Smitty
I have been breaking lower gears the last couple times my drive failed,heres a pic

articfriends 01-17-2006 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I figured it would be high , But its sharp looking.Smitty what foot you running?

Rob

My drive I use most the time is a std water pick up/std length with a very well sharpened/blended hydromotive nose cone. My spare drive is a std length/dual water pick up with no nose cone. The boat goes 4.5 mph slower with out a nose cone (87 vs 92 mph) and you can feel boat slow down noticeable faster when you let off with the non-nose coned drive. My prop center line is 7 1/2-8 " below the very bottom of my boat so I'm pretty sure a shortie imco or equivilant might have something to offer,Smitty

Outdrive1 01-17-2006 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by articfriends
To straighten out any confusion,the bravo shop lower case,max machine worx lower case,Imco lower case,sportmaster lower case and stock bravo case ALL bolt to the same exact upper bravo,bravo xr,bravo x etc so the same spacers will work on ANY of them.
I am still leaning towards the max machine worx billet case because I am running 950 plus ft lbs of tq and their "angle" is that they are using a double wide bearing on the vertical shaft which is supposed to keep lower gears in better contact to prevent lower gear failure. I have also heard of the imco vert shaft shearing off right at the bearing just like a stock one. At a lower power level it probably would be a non-issue. I'm not sure a 2" shortie will even work on my boat but I think it will. I hate to spend 3500$ on the max lower casing and shaft just to find out boat won't lift the bow or plane out anymore!! :eek: Anyone in michigan who has a shortie I could try for a day before taking the plunge?,Smitty
I have been breaking lower gears the last couple times my drive failed,heres a pic

Nothing personal Smitty, but with your sick azz motor, you're the last person I would let borrow a drive. Unless I wasn't ever planning on using it again.............. :evilb: :evilb: :D :D

articfriends 01-17-2006 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
Nothing personal Smitty, but with your sick azz motor, you're the last person I would let borrow a drive. Unless I wasn't ever planning on using it again.............. :evilb: :evilb: :D :D

Well,you don't exactly see anyone offering to let me try one :D If I borrowed one I'd just like to drive it at part throttle to see if boat would plane out and still bow lift. With my luck I'd borrow one that was hurt and finish it off and end up having to fix it for free! :rolleyes: ,Smitty

Outdrive1 01-17-2006 06:59 PM

Fred I didn't know you sold Imco stuff.
Last time I saw you post on an Imco thread you had said " I would run any Merc drive before any Imco product."
Not to be confrontational but was there a change of heart about their product? Do you now endorse it since you are trying to put together a deal for some? I appriciate the fact that you are always trying to get everyone a good price and save us some bucks but I feel somewhat sceptical buying a product from some one who has basically said it wasn't worth owning.

Strip Poker 388 01-17-2006 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA

I second that :eek: :D :evilb: Ooops

Smitty is Max Marine guarantying you a speed increase over your nose cone drive??? I bet you could benefit from a shorter drive !!

carney 01-17-2006 07:08 PM

Does the cresent lower have as much water pressure as the imco ? and need a relief valve and the sea strainer added ?

Strip Poker 388 01-17-2006 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by carney
Does the cresent lower have as much water pressure as the imco ? and need a relief valve and the sea strainer added ?

They said no water presure increase problems .

Strip Poker 388 01-17-2006 07:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
:D

Smithy dont you have a 272? Here is some pictures of my old Scarab Imco 2 shortie drive .I loaned it to a buddy when he broke his .He has a 272 ProCharged.Maybe you can tell maybe what it would look like with one?