Notices

What u dealers smoking?

Old 01-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What u dealers smoking?

NADA should be used to establish a base guideline, then add in all the extras such as bigger engines, upgrade guages, outdrives, custom props big stereo, etc. etc. etc... Then negotiate the extras.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked ABOS and BUC? NADA is only used as a quick reference within the industry. Boats because of the custom nature and regional appeal are priced more like real estate then cars. Typically by what comps have sold for in the same area
Old 01-17-2006, 07:13 AM
Registered

I have dealt with old corvettes for along time and have always been amazed at how many people talk about ( the book). No joke, I had a guy last year that came and looked at a 1968 camaro rs convertable in mint condition and spent two days going over this car. I was asking $25,000 for it. He than calls on the third day and tells me he will take it. He than calls back a few hours later and says the bank told him the car only booked at $6,000. I told him he was looking at the wrong book, because the only book that was buying this car was a check book.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Registered

They have been hang'n w/ Cheech & Chong way to much!!
Old 01-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
I told him he was looking at the wrong book, because the only book that was buying this car was a check book.
Now thats a good one.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by beachbob
Boats are a depreciating asset. Therefore Nada keeps records of sales. The average would be ones that already sold. Therefore the next sales should be considerably lower then the prices posted ? right?
I think there is a lot more to it than that.

A boat is worth what you are willing to pay for it.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

If your looking to spend 10% under low average expect to have some repairs to do... There are some good deals out there but you have to be willing to pay what its worth otherwise you will be shopping for a long time...
Old 01-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINATLAST
... you will be shopping for a long time...
It took me almost a year to find my boat for the price I was willing to pay. I ended up paying well under NADA retail for a very nice piece, but I was willing to wait for the right deal. Unless you find somebody who is really desperate most guys would rather just keep it instead of giving it away.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Registered

First nada is what the banks are using the dealers are using abos and now so are a lot of banks thats what you have to go by....

http://www.pricedigests.com/boats/boats.htm

There are three generally accepted price guides in the U.S.: the BUC Used Price Guide, the NADA Marine Appraisal Guide, and the ABOS Marine Blue Book. Each uses a different method of calculating values, which means that the values in these books for the same boat can vary by a sizable amount. While you probably won't want to invest in one of these blue books before you trade in your boat, determine which price guide your dealer is using, and compare the value with the other guides. You can usually find copies at marine insurance agents or banks that handle boat financing.

BOAT/US, (voice) 800-473-2869, also has a useful pricing service available to members called the Value Check program, which provides price guidelines for specific boat models by telephone or via the Internet. BOAT/US uses the blue books already mentioned, but it also relies heavily on a huge marine insurance database that helps them price boats geographically, by the time of year, and by usage.

When it comes to the blue books, take the values with a grain of salt, and don't base your negotiations for either trade-in or direct sale solely on blue book prices. Always get a deal that makes you happy.

Last edited by GOODT; 01-17-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GOODT
First nada is what the banks are using the dealers are using abos and now so are a lot of banks thats what you have to go by....

http://www.pricedigests.com/boats/boats.htm
Think ill stick with the banks on this one! Otherwise the dealer will !#@$ me.

Quick Reply: What u dealers smoking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.