Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback? >

Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback?

Notices

Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback?

Old 01-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback?

Ilmors sound like a great motor. Close cooled, EFI, about 200 lbs lighter than a traditional BB and the company has been around for a long time. I talked to a tech guy @ Ilmor a couple of times about the 625 and he was very helpful and mentioned that they were in the process of setting up a service network nationally. I would think the service end of it and possibly resale would be the drawbacks to the ilmor right now, but that could change quickly.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:51 AM
RHC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zahndok
I know of a 40 written up in powerboat with a new pair that had bad water pumps that Ilmor would not warranty. Boat manufacturer pulled them and installed Pfaff's. Faster with the Pfaff's. I wasn't that fond of the sound either when I rode in the boat.
If the owner cooked the engines because the water pump failed ,,, do you think that should be covered under warrenty?? or,, maybe the pump was just filled with sand/weeds?? what did he do when the temp got hot?

RHC
Old 01-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Registered

Was in TEETS boat at the NYC Poker Run........Fantastic motors with gobs of torque...and 300lbs lighter than the Mercury's. ILMOR's customer service and warranty service far exceeds what Mercury provides although still building the ILMOR network of authorized service centers nationwide which Mercury does have in place now for some time. I would go with the ILMORS. We handle PFAFF as well and they are also great powerplants and have a very good warranty program as well. Good luck with your pick
Old 01-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TSPM
Was in TEETS boat at the NYC Poker Run........Fantastic motors with gobs of torque...and 300lbs lighter than the Mercury's. ILMOR's customer service and warranty service far exceeds what Mercury provides although still building the ILMOR network of authorized service centers nationwide which Mercury does have in place now for some time. I would go with the ILMORS. We handle PFAFF as well and they are also great powerplants and have a very good warranty program as well. Good luck with your pick
There is a Ilmor service center 1/2 hour from my house, so I should be good in the service dept. I am really leaning towards these motors. I will know better in 26 hours from now when I get to feel and hear them.

Last edited by DRIVEN1; 01-20-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Registered

i think it was powerboat did a 26 velocity w/1 ilmore vs. a viper race miami to key west a couple of months ago
Old 01-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biginches
i think it was powerboat did a 26 velocity w/1 ilmore vs. a viper race miami to key west a couple of months ago
i think that a 36 w/ twinn 550's?
Old 01-20-2006, 11:37 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1
I should be able to tell you Saturday morning. It is going to be 80 degress, 10 knot winds and 2 foot seas. Wish the seas were rougher. I have heard a couple people say the sound was awesome. I guess I will have to decide if the sound is for me , if not will probably do the Merc 600s. Maybe the new 750ish hp Merc motor that is coming out? Anyone have any specs on the new motor that is supposed to be shown at Miami?
the new merc is a 600 with a new ecu, supposed to come out with the new drive to handle it.... who knows..

i haven't been fond of the v-10 sound, its unique, i will give it that...
Old 01-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
i think that a 36 w/ twinn 550's?
I have that article at home, was at least a 36 but I think it was a 39 with the twin viper engines(550hp).
Cobra's new hybrid V/Cat hull the 290 Viper SXT has tested with the 625. See Hotboat Oct 05. The initial runs yielded low 90's. Right now that's the main power for the boat and they hope to get it to 100, but they are putting together a 496HO package for it too. That's the only single I know of at this time but I'm sure they'll be more, plus I read somewhere that a blown version of the engine is underdevelopment. That Cobra 290 looks like a badasss machine!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the process of having Spectre build me a new 36' Cat with the 625 Ilmor's!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Registered

I own the 41 velocity with the 625's and I can assure you after almost 20 years of a dedicated mercury owner, I will go with Ilmor again and again. They far surpass mercurys warranty hands down. I had a problem with one of my 550's last year before the 625 upgrade and it was a fuel pressure problem
Ilmor sent their trouble shooter to my house for a complete diagnostic test and found that it was a fuel delivery problem. I actually fried an engine and it was a fuel line problem but they replaced the engine free of charge, even though it was not their problem. I then upgraded later in the year for the 625's and could not be better satisfied. The only problem I have had is one water pump that is going back for analysis and a free warranty replacement. Ilmor has never questioned a warranty problem and I guarantee mercury will not give you the same warrranty. If an Ilmor engine fails and you need replacement, they will send a brand new one to your local dealer and your down time will only be a week or two. Can you be guaranteed this by Mercury. NO!
As far as resale, I think that now with as many Ilmors in the market place, they will carry their own. Ilmor is here to stay.
As I said in previou post, look at the money backing Ilmor and you would be susprized to see that they could literally buy Mercury. Money is not an issue, but quality and relability is. Look at their website and notice that they dominate the Indy circuit

Quick Reply: Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.