Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback? >

Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback?

Notices

Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback?

Old 01-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback?

Brandie:

Who did the tail pipes for your boat? They look awesome!
Old 01-21-2006, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1
Thank you very much for your input. So you have had both of their motors. You have to be the only person in the U.S. to have done that. Do you think they will come out with a bigger one? 750hp? That is impressive that they sent a tech to your house, I could not imagine mercury doing this. I spoke to Ilmor today and they told me that EVERY SINGLE engine at the Indy 500 this year is built by them. That alone says alot to me. How fast is your boat with the 625s? Is the torque as killer as they say it it? I have a ride in a Donzi 38ZR in 9 hours from now so hopefully I will be grinning ear to ear. How has the fuel economy been? I have been told that they are pretty good on gas for the power they produce. Thanks
Driven1, The 625's in my boat carry it to the high 80's and I now have labbed my 5 blades and expect another couple of mph. It should be around 90+. As for fuel economy, I can only say that they are impressive when compared to the 500's and 525's. They are extremely fuel efficient for 625 hp. And they do sound awesome at 6000rpm. I could not be happier.
As for bigger power, I am told by Ilmor that they have nothing in the near future coming out bigger than the 625. I am not sure what the near future means, but I would love to see something in the 700-750 hp range, but they told me that they want to be sure that anything coming out of Ilmor has to be tested over and over again for reliability.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:35 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonny Spectre 30
Brandie:

Who did the tail pipes for your boat? They look awesome!
CMI builds alot of those Y's....
Old 01-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rbr2328
How much for the 38lx?
Have not listed it yet. But I have seen them for around $240,000- $260,000. It has every option possible,AC,gen, 2 12" raymarine monitors, Radar, Chartplotter, HD fishfinder, etc. I will probably list it for $240,000. Mike
Old 01-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steet
Driven1, The 625's in my boat carry it to the high 80's and I now have labbed my 5 blades and expect another couple of mph. It should be around 90+. As for fuel economy, I can only say that they are impressive when compared to the 500's and 525's. They are extremely fuel efficient for 625 hp. And they do sound awesome at 6000rpm. I could not be happier.
As for bigger power, I am told by Ilmor that they have nothing in the near future coming out bigger than the 625. I am not sure what the near future means, but I would love to see something in the 700-750 hp range, but they told me that they want to be sure that anything coming out of Ilmor has to be tested over and over again for reliability.
A little "BIRDIE" let me know that the a 700-725 is in the works for a late 06 or early 07 release. Again like the other 2 ILMORS.....closed cooling and no booster on top. Another turn key mill from ILMOR

Steve....check your PM's
Old 01-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TSPM
A little "BIRDIE" let me know that the a 700-725 is in the works for a late 06 or early 07 release. Again like the other 2 ILMORS.....closed cooling and no booster on top. Another turn key mill from ILMOR

Steve....check your PM's
I heard about this motor also. I heard they are doing a smaller one to compete against the 496.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by TSPM

Steve....check your PM's
I'm sure one the main reasons we haven't seen a 700+ hp motor from Ilmore is that there currently isn't a mid-range drive on the market that can handle it.

6's would eat up all the extra hp gain, and XR's wouldn't hold up. There is talk of Ilmore developing their own drive and that would be a great thing for us. Competition would bring innovation and price reduction.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Marginmn
I'm sure one the main reasons we haven't seen a 700+ hp motor from Ilmore is that there currently isn't a mid-range drive on the market that can handle it.

6's would eat up all the extra hp gain, and XR's wouldn't hold up. There is talk of Ilmore developing their own drive and that would be a great thing for us. Competition would bring innovation and price reduction.
I was told they are waiting to see the new drive from Mercury that is going to be shown at Miami show. They are also waiting to see the new Mercruy motor at the show that is replacing the 600. I am guessing the new Mercury stuff will be shown at the show and by the summer we will see the new Ilmor stuff. They could put the bigger motor on the Teague Platinum they use on the 625. I was told it could handle 900 hp. All I know it will be good stuff and I am trying to delay ordering my boat so I can get these motors.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Registered

Wouldn't the 2 pipes into 1 restrict some HP and speed??
Old 01-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Registered

Thumbs up I Just Bought A Set In A Dcb Mach 29

We just took delivery of a pair of Ilmor 625's with IMCO Extreme drives in a DCB Mach 29. The motors seem flawless and I was tired of all the bull**** with Mercury over any warranty items. We are running a pair of HERRING 6 BLADE Staggered cut props and the boat is awesome! We've had all the following CATS, Eliminator, Skater, Spectre, DCB Mach 34 and now the Mach 29 and by FAR the Mach 29 is the nicest handling freshwater Cat of the Bunch. For BIG WATER, our MACH 34 with #-6's and 1100 Teague Motors was the ticket! Dave hit a "HOME-RUN" on the Mach 29 and with the Ilmors being 300 pound lighter each that is a 600 pound savings in the ass end of the boat. Plus, they will rev to 6,000 rpms where the Mercs are limited to 5350 and that's all. The Ilmors are quiet and are great on fuel. We couldn't be happier.

GLWBEAR
Retired Boat Dealer

Quick Reply: Who owns Ilmor 625s and can give feedback?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.