boat transportation question >

boat transportation question

Notices

boat transportation question

Old 02-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boat transportation question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone, I need your opion on a different way to move your boat down the highway.

As some of you know, I was in the auto hauling business for 12 years with 28 semi's. I have been thinking of a way to move the more expensive boats without dragging them on the road. If you are in the towing business and need to move a large motorhome you use a trailer known as a Landoll. This is a 53ft flat deck that lowers down to a 4percent load angle at the rear. You could back up to a large boat and tow the trailer and boat up the trailer and secure it. Your would then not have to worry about trailer bearings and trailer regitration. The boat would still be sitting on its own trailer only it would be 36" higher off of the ground. less chance of a rock or anything else hitting the boat or trailer. These trailers are not cheap to buy, plus you need a full size tractor to pull it. I think that a 25cent surcharge for the trailer over the normal miliage charge would be fair to the boat owner.

Please give me your opion on this. I will be buying one of these at the end of this week. thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: boat transportation question

Jeff,
That is a tough question. Most people think that it's too expensive to have a boat transported now. There are probably only a handful of people on OSO (I am one of the handful ) that know what it's like to haul boats for a living, day in and out. It's not as easy as people think. The customer just knows his boat went from point A to point B.

I would think that the more expensive boats would be trailered on the landoll. Too be honest with you, I don't think .25 per mile would benefit you. Figure now you have to buy a larger truck and the trailer. Then, the semi truck you buy gets no where near the fuel economy of your 1 ton truck.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:56 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If ya got that big of a boat, then $0.25 shouldn't be too big a deal.
Plus no wear and tear on the trailer.
But if it's 36" higher, how about clearance issues?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Banned

on any offshore boat height will not be a problem, on the plus side no worry about tires or bearings. and no need for a trailer plate.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Banned

the whole boat and trailer sit up 36" above the ground so less chance of a rock hitting either one. Also the semi trailer is air ride so your boat will get a more gentle ride.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
Jeff,
That is a tough question. Most people think that it's too expensive to have a boat transported now. There are probably only a handful of people on OSO (I am one of the handful ) that know what it's like to haul boats for a living, day in and out. It's not as easy as people think. The customer just knows his boat went from point A to point B.

I would think that the more expensive boats would be trailered on the landoll. Too be honest with you, I don't think .25 per mile would benefit you. Figure now you have to buy a larger truck and the trailer. Then, the semi truck you buy gets no where near the fuel economy of your 1 ton truck.
I was thinking of getting into some hauling. I did have second thoughts when the fuel Gouging hit the fan. However ... there are boats and freight that need to be moved ... I agree with Semper .... dont know if .25 would really cover your cost. Only you know that . If I owned a 4-500,000 boat I think I would want the extra security and protection ....

By the way ... Exxon made 30 Billion profit last year ...more than ANY company in recorded history ...and just announced today Shell Oil 5+ Billion .....
Old 02-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,
given the choice between putting miles on my trailer or having the trailer loaded onto a larger one I would definitely pay for the larger trailer.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jeff,

Great idea but don't know if the market is there to support that service.

I have seen that done before.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Banned

Thats why I am posting it. I think that the market is there and the price difference is not that great.

How is the skater working for you.? Will you be at the Miami Poker Run? I will be there on a 46 skater
Old 02-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Banned

We tested the trailer yesterday. The load angle is only 4 degree's going up so that should not be a problem. We are going to mount a regular trailer ball at the front so that the trailer thinks that it is hitched to a vehicle. Then along the sides and back of the boat trailer we will soft tie it to the lower trailer. As for an overwide boat the size will be the same but because you are now on a full size truck you have no choice but to buy your wide load permits in what ever states you are in. As for a tow vehicle we are useing a 2002 Kenworth W900 with a 70" studio sleeper, For pulling power the truck has a 600hp cummins motor with a 18 speed transmission. besides the 1 million liability insurance, this truck will carry cargo insurance based on the boat up to 1.5 million

Quick Reply: boat transportation question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.