Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Towing rule #1: Use tow straps!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/121620-towing-rule-1-use-tow-straps.html)

thisistank 02-01-2006 11:15 PM

Towing rule #1: Use tow straps!!!

3 Attachment(s)
Driving down the road near my home last Sunday I came across this.....early 90's Fountain w/525SC's and Bravo's piggie backing a brand new '06 lifted Chevy Duramax Crewcab. The driver was cut off by a car (who left the scene :rolleyes: ) and was forced to slam his brakes on. The Myco trailer had a low style front roller/stop that had a link chain holding the boat down from the bow...No tie down at the transom.

After two hours a local tow company lifted the boat back onto the trailer. The best part....The owner promptly drives the boat to the Ventura launch ramp and runs it for the rest of the day!!

Remember, always use tow straps!!

thisistank 02-01-2006 11:16 PM

Re: Towing rule #1: Use tow straps!!!

3 Attachment(s)
more...

thisistank 02-01-2006 11:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
last...

dean51267 02-01-2006 11:22 PM

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I would be PISSED!!!

Sean H 02-01-2006 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by dean51267
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I would be PISSED!!!

i wouldn't be pissed, i would be embarassed, its his own damn fault for not having straps on it....

Outdrive1 02-01-2006 11:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
That would look good in the back of my Excursion.........
Better than this one though.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-02-2006 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by thisistank
early 90's Fountain w/525SC's and Bravo's piggie backing a brand new '06 lifted Chevy Duramax Crewcab.

This just doesn't seem to surprise me any longer... :rolleyes:

docmanrich37 02-02-2006 05:38 AM

I have a myco and towed last weekend and when i put the boat back in my shop it had moved forward about 2".I have tie downs on the back too.Will have to put 2 straps on front coming back so it doesn't move forward again.scary

US1 Fountain 02-02-2006 05:53 AM

Those teflon strips didn't help hold it in place either.

OldSchool 02-02-2006 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Troutly
He's lucky the beak didn't spear him in the back of his mellon :eek:

It's all fun and games until someone gets their eye poked out by a beak!!! :D :evilb: :D :evilb:

Those teflon strips are slicker than snot!! I've seen boats slide off of the trailer at the ramp when people unhook the front before backing down the ramp. :rolleyes:

CigDaze 02-02-2006 08:06 AM

Ouch. Yep, embarassing.
:eek: :rolleyes: :D

lightspeed 02-02-2006 08:08 AM

I Bet He Uses Straps The Next Time He Tows That Boat . The Pick Up Bed Looks Like Its All Twisted Up

Love Machine 02-02-2006 08:17 AM

I hope he changed his shorts before launching that beaker boat. :evilb:

pullmytrigger 02-02-2006 08:41 AM

"low style" winch post????.......I dont see any winch post ......did it break it right off???

wrinkleface 02-02-2006 08:46 AM

That's a goody!! :D

HiPerf2000 02-02-2006 09:00 AM

:D :D :p

Tantrum 02-02-2006 09:49 AM

Im no expert but I think he has entirely too much tongue weight there. Hes gonna be in trouble if he has to turn real fast. :eek: :p :drink:

JasonSmith 02-02-2006 10:05 AM

Ok, I'm guilty of not using straps on the rear of my boat. I never imagined the boat could slide foward like that.
I guess I'll be buying some today so I don't end up getting made fun of, or worse.

Dave M 02-02-2006 10:21 AM

Ouch!

Just wondering....Not that it was the cause here but, Is it really a good idea putting a lift kit on a truck that is going to tow heavy loads? It may look cool but what does it do to your handling?

FunHome 02-02-2006 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by OldSchool
It's all fun and games until someone gets their eye poked out by a beak!!! :D :evilb: :D :evilb:

Those teflon strips are slicker than snot!! I've seen boats slide off of the trailer at the ramp when people unhook the front before backing down the ramp. :rolleyes:

I was hoping that someone else saw that other than me!!!! They work great to help put the boat on the trailer, but not at KEEPING the boat on the trailer!!!! I had a bow strap break once on a real steep ramp, thank goodness I had a saftey chain and no teflon on my bunks, because the boat would have slid right back into the water!!! Luckly it only went back to the end of the safety chain!! (That I later shortened!!)

bobonthis 02-02-2006 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dave M
Ouch!

Just wondering....Not that it was the cause here but, Is it really a good idea putting a lift kit on a truck that is going to tow heavy loads? It may look cool but what does it do to your handling?

As long as it is all done correctly it is no differnet then a regular truck. Wider tires tend to grab more or pull in certain conditions with roads that are deeply grooved but I say other then that the trucks I have had that were lifted never were any different on towing. Lifted incorrectly then they are death traps IMO :D

jhiguy377 02-02-2006 12:15 PM

oops, I now think that my transom tie-down straps are not strong enough. I'll be making a change..... and putting a different front safety chain set-up in the front.

thisistank 02-02-2006 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by pull my trigger
"low style" winch post????.......I dont see any winch post ......did it break it right off???

Before I took the picture they took the stop off so they could pull the boat to the center of the truck.

thisistank 02-02-2006 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dave M
Ouch!

In this case the lifted truck probably made things better! That boat would've slid farther if the truck was lower.

Downtown42 02-02-2006 12:39 PM

bummer hull has a nice shine though

Viper31 02-02-2006 03:12 PM

Anyone got good pics of a proper strap setup. My bow eye is not big enough to put another strap pulling towards the rear of the trailer.

CMG 02-02-2006 03:36 PM

really hate seeing that chain on the cleats and hanging over the transon. did they lift the boat up off the trailer and back or just drag back?

Tony Montana 02-02-2006 03:40 PM

:eek: :eek:

GLH 02-02-2006 04:03 PM

Those Fountains are fast...

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-02-2006 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If he only remembered to put the "New" trailer pin in... :(

I think this would have kept it from sliding.

Slide the pin through the custom mount on the bottom of the trailer and lock it into the receiver on the bottom of the boat...

Ah, what do I know? Looks like it would work on paper.... :drink: :D :D

US1 Fountain 02-02-2006 04:58 PM

I made a hard stop once, boat pushed the wench stand forward 3". Didn't even know it moved until I noticed the bunks extending past the back further than normal. Had transom straps on too. I think it would have moved another several inches before they tightened up. But would keep it on the trailer

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-02-2006 05:30 PM

Depending the angle that the stern straps have, it will not keep the boat from sliding forward. They will keep it from sliding off the back.
The strap from the bow eye to the center of the trailer will be the only thing to keep it from going forward. ;)

US1 Fountain 02-02-2006 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Depending the angle that the stern straps have, it will not keep the boat from sliding forward. They will keep it from sliding off the back.

Yep. My boat has to move some before the straps will kick in.

Comanche3Six 02-02-2006 07:33 PM

Tie down straps.....what will they think of next?

CMG 02-02-2006 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Tie down straps.....what will they think of next?

just another fad..

happy hours 02-02-2006 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by CMG
just another fad..

That's right..just like the CB radio....soon to be forogotten.

thisistank 02-02-2006 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
The strap from the bow eye to the center of the trailer will be the only thing to keep it from going forward. ;)

This guy had a large chain from the bow stop to the frame....It snapped. It was a commen agreement the stearn straps would've prevented this.

bojoe2 02-02-2006 08:57 PM

is that the new MYCO add. "Have you seen who MYCO suports? "PULL IT IN STYLE" of this is like the FOUNTAIN blooper in the tree. :D

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-02-2006 09:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bojoe2
this is like the FOUNTAIN blooper in the tree. :D

They are just so fast, you can't stop 'em!!! :eek:

But they are "The fastest, smoothest, safest, and best handling" whether it's on the water or in the back of your pickup... ;)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-02-2006 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank
This guy had a large chain from the bow stop to the frame....It snapped. It was a commen agreement the stearn straps would've prevented this.

I don't see a drive guard on the trailer which would leave me to believe the straps would be most likely straight up and down from the stern eyes to the back of the trailer leaving room for it to move forward. With the drive guard, which brings the trailer out several feet from the transom, then it may have prevented it from going forward.....

A chain was hooked into the bow eye & trailer? Damn! That was either one weak chain or one heavy boat!!! :eek: :eek: