Notices

Shootout Winner Prediction

Old 02-23-2006, 10:55 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Shootout Winner Prediction

Originally Posted by BigDadys93x
If you look top fuel hydros dont run wings anymore because of stability issues though the lower classes do (alcohol hydro and alchol flat). I designed a new cat hull (which i own the patent on) when I was going to engineering school which utilized a front canard wing in front between the 2 sponsons. This wing could be controlled by a lever or a foot pedal and would give the driver another control surface for the bow by either raising or lowering the nose when under power with out having to adjust trim angles as much . The big plus is it can be used to prevent blow over. If the boat starts to blow over simply pitch the front wing and drop the nose back onto the water. (sounds good but i havent been able to try it out yet) . Unlimited Hydros use front canards between the sponsons for the same reason but they are more suseptable to blow over because of a major power to wieght ratio diffence that can not be over come by aerodynamics.
how big (surface area) of canard would it take to keep a 40'+ cat from blowing over at 150+ MPH?
Old 02-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Registered

Bud select does have a canard on the front, as did his skaters. The rear wing is hyd. adjustable from the cockpit.
Did you happen to notice the direction of the tubines. This was a key factor in the design and what slowed the process down significately.
Callen is a cool boat, but he doesn't have a chance. Bud select is going to do some amazing things this yr.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree! Bud Select (turbine) will surprise a lot of people this year at the shootout. I will put 42MTI's money on it
Old 02-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Banned

Didn't Callan wreck their boat racing last year?

I saw it at the dock here last year. They were there for testing.
Attached Thumbnails Shootout Winner Prediction-8-15-002.jpg   Shootout Winner Prediction-8-15-001.jpg   Shootout Winner Prediction-8-15-003.jpg  

Old 02-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 42MTI
Bud select does have a canard on the front, as did his skaters. The rear wing is hyd. adjustable from the cockpit.
Did you happen to notice the direction of the tubines. This was a key factor in the design and what slowed the process down significately.
Callen is a cool boat, but he doesn't have a chance. Bud select is going to do some amazing things this yr.
Bud select never had a front canard wing on thier Skaters the closest thing they had was a tunnel tab which in no way is anything like a canard wing. I havent seen the new turbine boat yet so I cant comment on that.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:10 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Bud select never had a front canard wing on thier Skaters the closest thing they had was a tunnel tab which in no way is anything like a canard wing. I havent seen the new turbine boat yet so I cant comment on that.
you might want to check some pictures then...

Last edited by Sean H; 02-23-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Registered

Oh come on, we all know Dave gets scared easily. LOL
Old 02-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

If you look top fuel hydros dont run wings anymore because of stability issues though the lower classes do (alcohol hydro and alchol flat). I designed a new cat hull (which i own the patent on) when I was going to engineering school which utilized a front canard wing in front between the 2 sponsons. This wing could be controlled by a lever or a foot pedal and would give the driver another control surface for the bow by either raising or lowering the nose when under power with out having to adjust trim angles as much . The big plus is it can be used to prevent blow over. If the boat starts to blow over simply pitch the front wing and drop the nose back onto the water. (sounds good but i havent been able to try it out yet) . Unlimited Hydros use front canards between the sponsons for the same reason but they are more suseptable to blow over because of a major power to wieght ratio diffence that can not be over come by aerodynamics.
I do not think that the wings used on existing unlimiteds have the range of motion or are they computer controlled..a human pushing a foot pedal or pulling a lever just ain't going to cut it when it comes to split second adjustments that are necessary for true stability control..Without a system that can change the angle of the wing significantly in spit seconds, fixed wing or adjustable by human, electric switch or other method can not match a properly designed stability program that can change wing positions thousands of times per second and be able to make radical position changes to help "save" the boat. Without such systems all the F-117A's, B2's, and new F-22 would not be able to fly they would simply be smoking holes in the ground.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Registered

I know the difference between the front and backend of a boat. I don't exactly know the defintion of canard, maybe you can explain. The skaters had a replaceable wing on the front of the boat, between the sponsons at the front of the tunnel, to change the amount of air entering the tunnel and adjust the amount of down force. This was referred to as canard at the Miami boat show, so assumed that was correct.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Mac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by blume
Turbine power Bud. Piston power Derebery.
That would be my vote also Big Daddy!!

Quick Reply: Shootout Winner Prediction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.