Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Look what I found out in a Barn !!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/123470-look-what-i-found-out-barn.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:02 PM

Look what I found out in a Barn !!!

2 Attachment(s)
Look what I found sitting out in a barn! :eek:

After removing the covers and clearing off the dust, I found these Twin Turbo engines. Aluminum Blocks, Aluminum Heads along with a whole lot of goodies inside and out!

As I removed each component I would find more and more engineering that just amazed me!

The creative ideas that lay inside these engines were just unbelieveable.

I hope OSO can help me with finding the person that may have designed and/or built these engines.

There is one person's name that comes to mind, Bruce Falls?

I have 32 photos I will post here to share.

Maybe somoene knows where I can find out more information about these engines and possibly get more parts for them?

I hear they were in a 42 CUV at one time and a few other boats as well.

Come on OSO!

Info needed.... Thanks! :drink:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:03 PM

Re: Look what I found out in a Barn !!!

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)

JCPERF 02-26-2006 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Look what I found sitting out in a barn! :eek:

After removing the covers and clearing off the dust, I found these Twin Turbo engines. Aluminum Blocks, Aluminum Heads along with a whole lot of goodies inside and out!

As I removed each component I would find more and more engineering that just amazed me!

The creative ideas that lay inside these engines were just unbelieveable.

I hope OSO can help me with finding the person that may have designed and/or built these engines.

There is one person's name that comes to mind, Bruce Falls?

I have 32 photos I will post here to share.

Maybe somoene knows where I can find out more information about these engines and possibly get more parts for them?

I hear they were in a 42 CUV at one time and a few other boats as well.

Come on OSO!

Info needed.... Thanks! :drink:

Sounds like Giffords old equipment :cool:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Ryan Beckley 02-26-2006 02:08 PM

Turbo Craft by Bruce Falls.
Gifford
After Shock
How Sweet It Is
Bud Dry / Budweiser
all ran them at one point, very powerful, alot of little problems.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
.9 Water cooled Turbos! :eek: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hauling Trash 02-26-2006 02:11 PM

Sharky Knows All........................... :d :d

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
.15 2 heat sinks run the length of the blocks on each side for cooling the water... :cool:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Thanks Ryan!

From what i can tell these are the 1st 2 engines built.

On the crates shows Serial #'s showing 001 & 002 for them.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes, EMS Turbo Craft is what I think I make out on the crates.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Mathews
SHark,

What's the deal? Are you/did you buy them? Why are you tearing them down? What are you going to use them for?

I can't reveal those details at this time...... ;)

Andrew Corn 02-26-2006 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
Turbo Craft by Bruce Falls.
Gifford
After Shock
How Sweet It Is
Bud Dry / Budweiser
all ran them at one point, very powerful, alot of little problems.

I don't think they are from Bud Dry (Skater), it had no frames, and I think the aftercoolers were on top of the engines along with the engine packages were red.

Could have been the Ugo Columbo CUV (Budweiser) or How Sweet It Is.

AC

Craney 02-26-2006 03:09 PM

Man it looks like I have to find that barn.

Ryan Beckley 02-26-2006 03:14 PM

Well these were the motors that Jeff Soffer paid to develop , maybe a later genteration than what was in Bud Dry, but built by Bruce Falls as in Bud Dry.

CMG 02-26-2006 03:18 PM

Pretty good assumption those weren't cheap to buy when new :eek:

Andrew Corn 02-26-2006 03:44 PM

Well these were the motors that Jeff Soffer paid to develop , maybe a later genteration than what was in Bud Dry, but built by Bruce Falls as in Bud Dry.

Yeah but those didn't have frames. It took 8 hours per engine to hook those things up without the frames. Same with the engines we got from Roush before Bruce's.

Those frames almost look like the ones out of Circus Circus although I would have thought they would be pink. They ran some Turbos back then. Could these not be Bruce's and something out of Circus Circus?

AC

Ryan Beckley 02-26-2006 03:55 PM

Circus Circus I believe had Kieth Black Hemi engines, but I could be wrong that was along time ago. I think the frame were developed for the How Sweet it Is boat. It looks to me like doing the frame would add to the ease of installiation once you figured it out. This was origainally a version of the MerCruiser turbo project with Bob Kaiser. I think it was Mclaren though not Roush. When the motors were finally somewhat reliable Jeff and Ugo won Sarasota with them and they were built by bruce and his partener at the time. I remember those guys really laboring long hours over those engines as they were very powerful but very finickey. Like 200 hp advantage over the injected motor guys at the time.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Craney
Man it looks like I have to find that barn.

Good Luck! :D

Next time I should think about taking a helicopter! :drink:

Crossing over rivers and streams, up over hilly terrain that I wished I was on a quad to get through the narrow trails. :eek:
Looks like a fun place for snow mobiles when there's snow! :drink:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Corn
It took 8 hours per engine to hook those things up without the frames.
AC

It took us longer than that just to tear it down to what you see there. :eek:

Of course we had to trace everything out, take lots of photos and ID everything.
Without doing so, there would be no way we would figure out how they go back together. :eek:
It was decided later in the day to keep engine number 2 all together until engine number 1 was placed back together.
Don't want to take any chances.
This engine that we disassembled apparently was never run since it was put together. No signs of oil laying in places where it could not self drain.

bobkatz 02-26-2006 04:23 PM

Ryan,

I think Bruce Mclaren was killed in 1970. Is that who you were refering to ? Nonetheless some killer powerplants!

Andrew Corn 02-26-2006 04:29 PM

Circus Circus I believe had Kieth Black Hemi engines, but I could be wrong that was along time ago. I think the frame were developed for the How Sweet it Is boat. It looks to me like doing the frame would add to the ease of installiation once you figured it out. This was origainally a version of the MerCruiser turbo project with Bob Kaiser. I think it was Mclaren though not Roush. When the motors were finally somewhat reliable Jeff and Ugo won Sarasota with them and they were built by bruce and his partener at the time. I remember those guys really laboring long hours over those engines as they were very powerful but very finickey. Like 200 hp advantage over the injected motor guys at the time.

Circus Circus had frames from the start but I think you're right the first engines were Keith Black.

Roush built Jeff's engines after C&G Blowers engines. Those didn't work out too well either. Reverse rotation on a GM from Ford guys was a treat to work with each time I got them.

Bruce came on later and picked up the pieces and put some 366ci killer hp engines together. Purred like a new Caddi. Remember back then you had a CI disadvantage when you went to turbo.

Bruce is/was a great engine builder but never could overcome the little rigging problems that would come up in offshore and could never overcome the overspeed pulse of the turbos he was using. I guess when How Sweet It Is got out, Bruce went back to working as a consultant for Mclaren.

I believe he had something to do the the design of the Mercury/Corvette Fuel Injection engine that GM came out with back then.

AC

Andrew Corn 02-26-2006 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by bobkatz
Ryan,

I think Bruce Mclaren was killed in 1970. Is that who you were refering to ? Nonetheless some killer powerplants!

No we are talking about Bruce Falls, he was an engineer for Mclaren.

AC

Hauling Trash 02-26-2006 04:31 PM

SHARKEY KNOWS ALL.......................... :D :D :evilb:

Ryan Beckley 02-26-2006 04:35 PM

Yea, I remember they had to be small cubic inch to be turbo. They really stretched those this out.

JCPERF 02-26-2006 04:37 PM

Yea, I remember they had to be small cubic inch to be turbo. They really stretched those this out.

354 Cubic inch

Ryan Beckley 02-26-2006 04:39 PM

Yea, back then you had to be smaller to turbo or supercharge, but Diesels could be double the cubic inch. Fabio had a 4 engine diesel against al the twin petro boats.

HOTROD2 02-26-2006 05:13 PM

Ok, so let us in on this deal ? You found these engines in a farmers barn and you take them apart just for fun, do a photo shoot of all the cool stuff and the farmer has not shot you yet for trespassing? Is this a case of finders keepers ? or do you need to install them in my Cary to test them out now ????? :D

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually, I don't think he farms much, but it certainly is a great hide away... :drink:
Upon entering this place, you would never believe what is inside... :eek:

He had some fiberglass he wanted me to check out and I bumped into this covered pallet. I sneaked a peek and saw these tanks and braided stainless hoses all over the place, I just had to inspect further. First glance I was like, "What the hell is that ?!!" :drink: :eek:

The coolest set up I have seen was everthing was a quick connect to attach to the boat. See photo below. The wildest fittings I have ever scene! Must be military grade!

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2006 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also found this in the barn too! :drink: