View Poll Results: You will be faster???
Duece Wild (38ft topgun)
74.51%
Top priority (35 mistress)
25.49%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree0Likes

The BIG Question.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Driver-441
Racer

My Boats: 32 Cobra Raceboat, 27 Avanti Raceboat 27 Kryptonite Raceboat
Default Re: The BIG Question.

Gun. No trannys to spin.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1974 35 Cigarette BENIHANA, 1976 24 Banana Boat.

Unless the power is the same you are comparing apples to oranges.

The 35 was an original Don Aronow design. The older boats were from Harry Schoell or Wynn and Walters designs. When Don designed the 35, he felt that he had achieved a perfect balance of length and beam. He put a good rocker in the bottom and turned the deck down in front for some areodynamic help in lifting the bow up without having to use trim to do it.

He was very satisfied with the result. However, the next two years in racing saw Joel Halpern win the overall championship in the US with a 38 foot boat......so right away everyone wanted a 38 footer to keep up with the Joneses...or the Halperns as the case may be.

Don felt that the 35 was like a little tight sportscar, that could handle the ocean and still be quick enough in the flat stuff. However the market was looking for the number 38....so, although the 35 was actually 35 feet and 9 inches, he did the minimum he could and stretched it only to 37 feet and 6 inches...and called it just that, the 37.6.

The first one was made for Jerry Jacoby called Ajac Hawk and it was first raced in Argentina in December of '78 with Bobby Saccenti throttling. This 37.6 was later called the 38 Top Gun although the other 6 inches were never added.

Boat for boat, apples against apples with the same power I would take the 35 in all conditions.

The 35 was designed to do something and it did it very well. The 37.6 was a stretch due to market demand and very much against the desire of her designer...he knew it would take a lot more power to get that thing to do what the 35 could do naturally.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Banana
Unless the power is the same you are comparing apples to oranges.

The 35 was an original Don Aronow design. The older boats were from Harry Schoell or Wynn and Walters designs. When Don designed the 35, he felt that he had achieved a perfect balance of length and beam. He put a good rocker in the bottom and turned the deck down in front for some areodynamic help in lifting the bow up without having to use trim to do it.

He was very satisfied with the result. However, the next two years in racing saw Joel Halpern win the overall championship in the US with a 38 foot boat......so right away everyone wanted a 38 footer to keep up with the Joneses...or the Halperns as the case may be.

Don felt that the 35 was like a little tight sportscar, that could handle the ocean and still be quick enough in the flat stuff. However the market was looking for the number 38....so, although the 35 was actually 35 feet and 9 inches, he did the minimum he could and stretched it only to 37 feet and 6 inches...and called it just that, the 37.6.

The first one was made for Jerry Jacoby called Ajac Hawk and it was first raced in Argentina in December of '78 with Bobby Saccenti throttling. This 37.6 was later called the 38 Top Gun although the other 6 inches were never added.

Boat for boat, apples against apples with the same power I would take the 35 in all conditions.

The 35 was designed to do something and it did it very well. The 37.6 was a stretch due to market demand and very much against the desire of her designer...he knew it would take a lot more power to get that thing to do what the 35 could do naturally.
Great Information Thanks.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:06 AM
RHC
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKRAMER
Hey Roger why not bring the apache up for the spring launching.Then you'll beat us all to the deck. You now what that means. Your buying. Maybe Leopajm will have the 41 back by then and he can buy. I like this concept.
Speaking of Concept's,,, I would bet you will see it more often than Big Red this summer!!

You guys planning on coming to Sandusky on the 24th of June???

RHC
Old 02-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHC
Speaking of Concept's,,, I would bet you will see it more often than Big Red this summer!!

RHC
Much Much More !!!
Attached Thumbnails
The BIG Question.-concept1.jpg   The BIG Question.-red41-7.jpg  
Old 02-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHC

You guys planning on coming to Sandusky on the 24th of June???

RHC
Yep where coming up!
Old 02-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Registered

My Boats: 36 Concept w/ Merc 250 EFI Smokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Banana
Very interesting reading especially considering these are the ONLY two boats I am currently considering. Can the same be said for the 35TS compared to the 38TS?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:15 PM
RHC
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macklin
Very interesting reading especially considering these are the ONLY two boats I am currently considering. Can the same be said for the 35TS compared to the 38TS?
Oh chit ,,, now ya want to ask a serious question??? Dont know ,,, I have not been on a TS Cig yet.

RHC
Old 02-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1974 35 Cigarette BENIHANA, 1976 24 Banana Boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macklin
Now, you have to look at how the steps are designed....are they equal in size and shape?

What do these steps do to the center of gravity and balance of the boat?

Where will you be doing most of your running, lakes, rivers, or open ocean?

Beyond the question of all out top speed, what is the speed that you normally run at most of the time?

What do you personally want from a boat, what gives you satisfaction at the end of the day?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Registered

My Boats: 36 Concept w/ Merc 250 EFI Smokers

OH man, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. But since you ask... ...we run on the washing machine waters of the lower Chesapeake and Atlantic. I made the mistake of taking my wife for a ride in a 38 TGTS and now she is REALLY bugging me to move up to one. My PQ must sell first.

I don't want or need blower motors for several reasons and would prefer 500's. We typically run in the 50 - 60 range at cruise with occassional bursts to WOT...water permitting.

I have my eye on a couple of 35 Playboys and 38 TG's. There are very few TG's with 500's on the market though.

Last edited by Macklin; 02-28-2006 at 03:58 PM.