Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Coastguard Certified??? HELP >

Coastguard Certified??? HELP

Notices

Coastguard Certified??? HELP

Old 03-01-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Coastguard Certified??? HELP

My Lawyer has his 25 Baja outlaw CG documented, I have my 27 Fountain CG also. Their are benefits to it, however depending on the state you are in, if the benefits are worth it or not. I know in VA they are, at least for now the state wants their money.

As for buying or selling should not make any difference.

WILL
Old 03-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If You Are A Transient Boater, You Can Have It Coast Guard Documented Without Being Registered In A State As Long As You Do Not Boat On Any Certain Waters, I.e. Sit In The Water, For More Than 30 Or 60 Consecutive Days(not Sure Of 30 Or 60). However, To Get A Sticker Or Registration Numbers You Will Typically Have To Register And That Means Paying Sales Tax Or In Lieu Of Tax. I Have A Residence In Il And Mo. Il Makes You Pay The Full 7. 25 Sales Tax To Get Registered. Mo Was An In Lieu Of Tax And Was About .30 On The Dollar Comp. To Illinois. Fyi, Just From My Experience, It Is Much Cheaper To Get The Sticker Because They Hassle You To Death.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone.
How do they find you to make you pay the tax? The people at the divison of water said that they distribute the stickers, but they would not collect the tax??? Will someone find me if I don't pay taxes?
Old 03-02-2006, 01:09 AM
Registered

Blewbyyou,

Check out this site. It is the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. and they have a flow chart that talks about Coast Guard Documentation.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/reg/regreqs.htm

3 different things are being talked about.

Coast Guard Documenting.
Titleing.
State Registration.

Even if your boat is CG Doc. you still have to register it in the state of Ohio and display the tags but do not have to number.

Proof of Documentation Required
(ORC 1547.531)
Documentation is a federal registration system administered by the United States Coast Guard. Boats must be at least 5 net tons to be eligible, which is roughly 30 feet or more in length.

No person shall operate a documented vessel unless the certificate of documentation is valid and available for inspection. The vessel must display the official number, the vessel name and home port.

Documented vessels must be registered in Ohio and display two Ohio tags, but they are not assigned an Ohio number.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraf...hiovr1.htm#doc

Good luck,
Cordell
Old 03-02-2006, 01:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Blewbyyou
Thanks to everyone.
How do they find you to make you pay the tax? The people at the divison of water said that they distribute the stickers, but they would not collect the tax??? Will someone find me if I don't pay taxes?
Pay the tax or pay the consequences............

If you take out a loan for the boat there is a good chance that the bank will want the tax paid at that time.

I just bought a used boat from a dealer and they wanted money to pay tax and also money to register it at the time of sale.

I think that if it is a casual sale person to person you have 30 days to pay the tax.

You will have to pay it to have the boat put in your name.

Cordell
Old 03-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

If it is documented, you are assured of a clear title with no surprises. In KY, can't display KY #'s. You are supposed to declare the craft on Tangible Property part of tax return. Had to talk to the people at the capitol to find out for sure. Will be a great deal for me. No sales tax on used in KY.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:13 AM
45 Lip Ship / 900 Zul's
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you bought a boat from any state other then were you are calling home port you must the sales tax for that state that you are calling home port. even if you have it documented It. Most states have a usage tax for this reason. Most states say that if you keep a boat in that state for 30 days or more you must paid the usage tax.
Example If you came to New York for the summer and kept you boat here for 30+ days them by law you are to paid the usage tax of 8.75% and you have it documented in Florida and paid the sales tax when you bought it of 6% them the state of new York will make you paid the 2.75% as a usage tax.

Rick OSG
Old 03-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Registered

Blewbyyou,

I know everything about this in Ohio. Tried to do an end-run around the tax issue by doing a federal documentation on my 382 a couple years ago. The federal doc is your title, enforced by the U.S. Coast Guard. Banks like it better because if you default, C.G. can "repo" your boat for them.

You do not need OH numbers if documented, but you do need to display a valid and current state registration sticker. This is how "they" find you (the tax guys). Took them over two years to find me. They will demand interest on the "overdue" tax if you do not pay right away, and they have the option of implementing a very significant fine.

In Ohio, I'm not sure there is a big benefit in fed doc. Even some of the local enforcement agencies do not know all the details and will be more likely to stop you on the water. Coasties like it better, though ... they know the deal.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Registered

Keep in mind, you may be able to write off the sales tax on the boat now.

Your local State Department of Taxation office is where you need to contact to pay the tax.

If the selling agent is a Ohio registered dealer, you will be able to deduct any trade-in value from taxable purchase price.