Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   what is the going $$ for 502 MPIs (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/123955-what-going-%24%24-502-mpis.html)

Maritime_Eng 03-06-2006 08:23 AM

Re: what is the going $$ for 502 MPIs

Originally Posted by BGIII
dgduck13,

I would strongly advise you to speak with Tyler Crockett before you spend any of your hard earned money on this project.

BTW, my fuel system has an additional electric fuel pump and larger lines going to the engine along with the adjustable fuel pressure regulator and ported intake.

This guy is doing a Crockett setup:

http://www.hotboat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98928

Thanks for the link. I will look into it.......

onesickpantera 03-06-2006 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by dgduck13
I know that mercrusier says that it is 415 at the prop, but a friend of mine had his stock 502 on a dyno last year before doing some upgrades and they were right around 415HP. I think that Mercuriser had a misprint in there advertising.

Not a screw up, they probably wanted some lower dyno numbers for a baseline so the upgrades he bought looked like they gave him more hp! :D Actually, I have heard that the "tolerances" for hp ratings on the black motors(5% I think) aren't as tight as they are for the blue motors(2%???). And the blacks were typically overrated while the blues underrated. Which is why I love the HP500 motor!

I second talking to Tyler, very honest guy that builds real hp.

Maritime_Eng 03-06-2006 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by noboat
And the blacks were typically overrated while the blues underrated. Which is why I love the HP500 motor!

The 500HP is overrated just like the black motors. I have dynp sheets to prove that......

The 525HP is underrated by a little.

onesickpantera 03-06-2006 09:33 AM

The 500HP is overrated just like the black motors. I have dynp sheets to prove that......

The 525HP is underrated by a little.

I am just going by what I have read on here and other boating forums over the last 5 or 6 years. HP500s seem to dyno at 500 or a higher.

Are you putting your motors on the dyno and installing the parts? I would love to see what kind of real world numbers you get.

Maritime_Eng 03-06-2006 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by noboat
I am just going by what I have read on here and other boating forums over the last 5 or 6 years. HP500s seem to dyno at 500 or a higher.

Are you putting your motors on the dyno and installing the parts? I would love to see what kind of real world numbers you get.

I am hoping to get on the dyno around mid april.

BGIII 03-06-2006 10:35 AM

Hey dg, what do you think an entire FI setup is worth on the used market? Someday, I would like to go to 540's and I don't think this Merc FI system will handle it and will probably have to switch over to carbs.

Maritime_Eng 03-06-2006 11:06 AM

Hey dg, what do you think an entire FI setup is worth on the used market? Someday, I would like to go to 540's and I don't think this Merc FI system will handle it and will probably have to switch over to carbs.

I think your FI will handle 540's. Lingenfelter made 540's that were 585HP-595Hp and they used the same FI, just a different ECM calibration.

BGIII 03-06-2006 11:39 AM

I think your FI will handle 540's. Lingenfelter made 540's that were 585HP-595Hp and they used the same FI, just a different ECM calibration.

Same injectors too?

onesickpantera 03-06-2006 11:39 AM

I am hoping to get on the dyno around mid april.

Cool, keep us posted. I'm curious to see what the numbers are.

Maritime_Eng 03-06-2006 11:46 AM

Same injectors too?

I am not sure.....