Like Tree0Likes

Memorial day Weekend on St. Johns River

Old 04-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Registered

Default Re: Memorial day Weekend on St. Johns River

I know a guy who regularly launches his 38' Fountain there without a problem so everyone should be ok
Old 04-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Banned

Poorsche, you should have let me know you were down this way. I live only half a mile from that ramp. I was around here all weekend.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSANE
I know a guy who regularly launches his 38' Fountain there without a problem so everyone should be ok
Is that the guy that owns a block and stucco business? I've met him a couple times.
Attached Thumbnails
Memorial day Weekend on St. Johns River-toys-tots-12-11-04-064-small-.jpg   Memorial day Weekend on St. Johns River-toys-tots-12-11-04-065-small-.jpg  
Old 04-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Holy **** guys...we were going across that lake sat. about 2pm...the waves were breaking on top of my pulpit...I only had time to put up my bimini..I couldn't make myself stand on the deck to do the front plastic.The waves would occasionally wash right over and hit me in the face.My deck is at a bare minum in the water 4plus feet above the waterline.You do the math.She took it like a champ!

The boat did good too!!

I have seen some bad ass weather on that lake but I was seeing 3-4 on the depth finder feet between waves...
Old 04-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda
Is that the guy that owns a block and stucco business? I've met him a couple times.
Yep, that would be Norm and his buddy Harvey. I mean that guy drops that boat in there in seconds, he's pretty good at the ramp.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorgasm
Holy **** guys...we were going across that lake sat. about 2pm...the waves were breaking on top of my pulpit...I only had time to put up my bimini..I couldn't make myself stand on the deck to do the front plastic.The waves would occasionally wash right over and hit me in the face.My deck is at a bare minum in the water 4plus feet above the waterline.You do the math.She took it like a champ!

The boat did good too!!

I have seen some bad ass weather on that lake but I was seeing 3-4 on the depth finder feet between waves...
How many small boats did you see Sat??? Any get in trouble?? A friend of mine backed out of a trip with some co-workers in a little 16 foot something and they're hard drinkers according to her. So she decided to wisely back out. I told her to call them and tell them not to go. Yes the water is very low, have some minor scuffs (asthetic only) on my skeg and a little bit on the prop. The rains are coming though. Might go out for a bit Sat.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSANE
Yep, that would be Norm and his buddy Harvey. I mean that guy drops that boat in there in seconds, he's pretty good at the ramp.
I first met him on a job site, then at the Toys for Tots, then at the Jax Firefighter Poker Run. At the Jax PR, he had put in at Astor and ran to Jax.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

The Glen was a good crowd even in the rain..the stream of boats coming at us out of the wier was alarming...There was just no way anything smaller than mine would have survived.My 22 would have taken on serious water.My buddies 29PC is 10'5 beam and he had thick wave spray clear over his radar arch..I used him as a dummy marker and we just VHF'd back and forth...he couldn't see and has extensive electronics and engine management.I'd give him a reading and he change course.It was that bad.It was soo far past a small craft advisory I couldn't explain it anymore.The wave distance was soo short you couldn't count it..I on the other hand have large balls and will follow just about anyone anywhere.That or just plain stooopid.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Registered

Found out these people turned back at Astor so good for them. Yea, the weather was pretty nasty over there Sat, I spent the weekend doing some oil changes and other stuff. When I was out there last time, it was definite 4 footers on the Georgetown side, good thing the small ones didn't go out there.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:28 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 Century CCF 2600

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda
Poorsche, you should have let me know you were down this way. I live only half a mile from that ramp. I was around here all weekend.
I didn't know where/when I was going that day--just got up and at breakfast decided to wander over that way. I'll let you know when I'm coming over this week and see if you and Deb are around or working. Thanks for invite.