Notices

Lake Norman Info

Old 03-16-2006, 02:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lake Norman Info

I water tested my boat on this lake last month before purchase.
Show some more pics and tell us about the trip.

Cordell
Old 03-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, boat's all cleaned up and winterized for the 3rd time this winter. I got a couple good nights sleep and the skin is peeling off my face still.

As for more pics, waiting on my daughter to email them to me. Mine are all at docks or anchor. borrrrring.... Steet let us shoot some from the roof of his boat house Monday morning and they looked pretty good. Even got a short video doing a "fly by" of sorts. Not too fast and shut off early so as not to pi$$ off Steet's neighbors too badly. Midnight the dog was watching us too

Saturday was kind of a bad day... clean boat and truck got hosed by a thunderstorm 4 mi. from the lake. Had to clean up and wipe down the boat before splashing her. Steet met us at the hotel in his cruiser by saying "It's about time!" which I replied "Who are you?" He invited us to his place for a drink. Thanks!

Met Nauti Streak and Vagrant there as well. My 21yr old daughter and her boyfriend were wanting to get to the Rusty Rudder for the band. Steve gave us a chart(life saver), directions, and a warning about trying to find the place at night when never being on the lake before. GOOD ADVICE!

My 19yr old calls and calls us wussies if we don't go... Charmed calls from the hotel asking if we were coming over for a drink, which I foolishly pass on to go with my kids choice. Sorry Charmed1.

After an hour or two of searching coves for the bar in the dark we find it! I back into an open dock, tie up the boat nicely, step back to admire my work and fall into the 56* water I peel off my wet cloths and realize all my clothes are in the hotel room... My wife gives me her jacket, which fortunatly for all is long enuff to cover my wet azz.

None of us has ate all day and not wanting to spoil the evening, I offer to crawl in the cuddy while they go into the bar for supper. That's when we realize we are on the privat docks which are gated and locked

Frustrated and discouraged we head back to the hotel 10-12 miles away. It's cold, dark and I'm wet and almost naked. What could be worse?
FOG! Not a little fog, the kind where you can't see the bow of your boat!

All we could do was putt around looking at the compas till we could find a channel marker. Get the number and plot a course to the next marker, while dodging sholes and rocks. We missed some jagged rocks near a marker bu only a couple feet once ran aground once trying to read a marker with a spotlight which we finally discovered read SHOLE!

Made it back to the hotel about 6-7hrs after Steet telling me it wasn't a good idea... as I'm tieing up the boat, tired, hungry and about half drunk, a fisherman comes over to compliment our boat and start up a friendly conversation.

I think I re-inforced the "performance boaters are snobs" reputation. Keep in mind I'm naked except for a coat.... sorry fisherman, but I was in no mood for a chat.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Underdog88
Keep in mind I'm naked except for a coat

I really hope Becky got a picture of that ...
Old 03-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Registered

This is getting long! But you asked for details

Sunday and Monday were wonderful!

Headed back to the rudder to meet X-driver, a fellow Ohioan transplanted to NC for brunch. Found the place easily, parked at the right dock and ate like a pig. X is waiting on his new Checkmate to be completed and is boatless, so we took him out for a few hours, and he showed us around the lake. Wonderful afternoon

Called Steet for dinner and meet him, his wife and Nauti Streak at the hotel restaurant for a great evening of socializing with VERY nice people. Steve even bought our dinner! THANK YOU again!!! I owe you one.

They told us who had the best breakfast on the lake which we did Monday morning, after checking out of the hotel and having the wife drive the truck and trailer to Pinical Point ramp. Kids and I went to Steets boathouse on the way for a few pics of the boat on plane.

Bjlesl, I didn't see your post but, if you did go in Monday we would have just missed you. We spent Monday on the north end of the lake, cruising up to the last channel marker and back. Found the state park and hung out there for a while and cruised up all the bigger channels looking at mansion after mansion.

As we got back near the ramp, we saw a Cig comming under the bridge. Looked like a race so I gave chase. He got the holeshot on me and couldn't catch him, but I was hanging with him!

Pulled out at sunset, had a great seafood dinner at Big Daddy's (as Steet recomended) which was great btw, and drove 6hrs home in the rain.

Got to sleep around 330 am and up to work a 24hr shift at the fire dept.

I wouldn't trade a minute of the trip for anything! Well... maybe the falling off the dock bit... and the getting lost in the fog bit... but other than that...

Thanks to all who offered advice! It was VERY helpful!

And to Steve aka Steet, you and your bunch are the best! Can't wait till we cross paths again. Dinner's on us next time

Last edited by Underdog88; 08-23-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Registered

Sorry RG no pix of that it wasn't pretty. I'm trying to forget it but, I'm sure to be reminded of it often.

Can't wait for the pix the kids took tho... hope to have them tonight.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glade you had a good time wish we could have gotten together but you were in good hands with steve .our club is having a fun run on lkn in may you need to come back there will be a lot of velocitys there, last year steve stepp and his wife Kim were there i think they will be back you would get to meet a lot of us velocity boys and get to see more of the lake in the summer when the weather is a little nicer .as for making steves neighbors mad if we have not made them mad you should be ok also in May the lake will be full of water

Last edited by mikes280; 03-16-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Registered

I have to come back... Steve told me I could keep his chart only if I would be returning again
Old 03-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Registered

I have to come back... Steve told me I could keep his chart only if I would be returning again

You will be back. Once is just not enough. I am glad you had a good day monday. I wish I could have been home but I had a full day of it. I knew you would like the food up the lake.
As for my neighbors, they could not be better. I only get called out once in a while, but then all I have to do is get Cathys mom to make one of her famous plain cakes and deliver it to them and they love me again. I may have spoiled them though. Come to think of it they have started complaining a lot more.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

This is getting long! But you asked for details

Sunday and Monday were wonderful!

Headed back to the rudder to meet X-driver, a fellow Ohioan transplanted to NC for brunch. Found the place easily, parked at the right dock and ate like a pig. X is waiting on his new Checkmate to be completed and is boatless, so we took him out for a few hours, and he showed us around the lake. Wonderful afternoon

Called Steet for dinner and meet him, his wife and Nauti Streak at the hotel restaurant for a great evening of socializing with VERY nice people. Steve even bought our dinner! THANK YOU again!!! I owe you one.

They told us who had the best breakfast on the lake which we did Monday morning, after checking out of the hotel and having the wife drive the truck and trailer to Pinical Point ramp. Kids and I went to Steets boathouse on the way for a few pics of the boat on plane.

Bjlesl, I didn't see your post but, if you did go in Monday we would have just missed you. We spent Monday on the north end of the lake, cruising up to the last channel marker and back. Found the state park and hung out there for a while and cruised up all the bigger channels looking at mansion after mansion.

As we got back near the ramp, we saw a Cig comming under the bridge. Looked like a race so I gave chase. He got the holeshot on me and couldn't catch him, but I was hanging with him!

Pulled out at sunset, had a great seafood dinner at Big Daddy's (as Steet recomended) which was great btw, and drove 6hrs home in the rain.

Got to sleep around 330 am and up to work a 24hr shift at the fire dept.

I wouldn't trade a minute of the trip for anything! Well... maybe the falling off the dock bit... and the getting lost in the fog bit... but other than that...

Thanks to all who offered advice! It was VERY helpful!

And to Steve aka Steet, you and your bunch are the best! Can't wait till we cross paths again. Dinner's on us next time
Hello Underdog88 I didn't get out Mon. I got up too late after my flite. I did go to Midtown with my wife & son & seen how low the lake was & didn't feel so bad about sleeping in. I don't want to ruin my suumer this early by tearing a #5 drive off. Sorry I missed you guys maybe we'll hook-up next time.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Registered

Here is a few from Steets roof

Last edited by Underdog88; 08-23-2007 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Lake Norman Info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.