Notices

What is freeboard?

Old 03-10-2006, 03:46 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Here are two more responses i got from factories... since none of the sponsers of OSO will chime in.

Fountain...
"Rob, I define freeboard as the distance from the floor of the boat to the top of the gunnel (side of the boat). I measured that distance at its shortest point. On the 42' Executioner that is at the base of the back seat. The measurment there is 42". I hope that this is what you were looking for.

C---- D---, Fountain Customer Service" (i edited his name for security reasons).

Hatteras - note: not an HP company.

"Freeboard forward 6'6"
Freeboard aft 2'11"

Connie Mitchell
Hatteras Yachts Division of Brunswick Corporation"
Old 03-10-2006, 03:50 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bcschoe
This has to be the craziest thread ever on OSO. Five pages dedicated to discussion of definitions with quotes from a very reputable boat builders customer service department…
Yea... and my post count is picking up.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcschoe
Of course this is all ICCL convention stuff which was adopted in 1966 and not even close to applicable to recreational boats, but if you want to define words here you go.
Ok, thanks. Good point... when I want to define words I look at a dictionary.
American Heritage dictionary says that freeboard is the distance between the waterline and the uppermost deck of a ship. So I guess even with ships, in the English language... it is an exterior measurement.

Now tell us about the length standards that aren't even close to applicable to recreation boats.

If you have any navigation rules that aren't even close to applicable to recreational boats... throw that in too.

This thread will pass Chips and Boats. No question.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Yea... and my post count is picking up.
I gotta go.
Stay on this Rob.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:04 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Originally Posted by fund razor
I gotta go.
Stay on this Rob.
I'll try, but I'm going to Chicago for the weekend.
I only get time to post when at work. At home, my boss dont let me near the PC... worried I'll buy another boat.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Registered

left for a while, now im back and still not clear . just alot of deffinitions. eh storm you gonna buy another pantera or thinking of something else. HIMES
Old 03-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Registered

According to Websters... we are ALL correct. Sort of.

The deck version is for ships, the gunwale version is for small boats.
Explains why Chapmans gave the "water line to topsides" version.

Since 1726 anyway.... "the distance between the waterline and the main deck or weather deck of a ship OR between the level of water and the upper edge of the side of a small boat."
Old 03-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
Cockpit depth and cabin head room are all proportional to the amount of freeboard.

I personally prefer to sit down in my boat and most fast boats. I converted my 28 scarab to a sit down boat and feel a much safer and same goes for my wife.

You don’t need a lot of free board to make a great rough water boat. I do agree that if you are going to run the ocean or very rough water I would prefer a boat with more freeboard especially in the event of a brake down. As for me, boating on the Hudson and Lake George I personally don’t feel the need for an extreme rough water boat like a big Cig, Apache, Sonic, Etc. They are nice but not for my needs.

I boat from point A to point B. I don’t spend much time on the boat unless I am driving it. If I had a family and spent more time tied up or anchored in a cove I would have a deferent boat, one with a deeper cockpit and more cabin head room. If that’s the case I would look for a boat with more Freeboard.

Here is a photo of my 28 scarab converted to sit down seats
Cool set up........I want to convert mine to a sit down .......what seats did you use????
Old 03-10-2006, 06:58 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Originally Posted by HIMES(JAIME)
left for a while, now im back and still not clear . just alot of deffinitions. eh storm you gonna buy another pantera or thinking of something else. HIMES
I'm thinking of buying some dockline and learn how to tie a noose!
No, no pantera or anything else for now.
And when I do get something, I couldn't tell you if I'll buy a boat w/ alot of freeboard, or a little freeboard(that 29extreme sure is nice. )
Old 03-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
I'm thinking of buying some dockline and learn how to tie a noose!
No, no pantera or anything else for now.
And when I do get something, I couldn't tell you if I'll buy a boat w/ alot of freeboard, or a little freeboard(that 29extreme sure is nice. )
So you're just as boatless as I am... sucks doesn't it!
I've been 5 years boatless - it's like my freakin' arms are falling off..
It's killing me...
Everytime I think I have a little coin set aside, something comes up...
I've been glancing at Pantera's, Saber's, and Cigarette 28's.

All of those are low "something(freeboard)" - I'm so confused by the definitions on this thread, I don't know what to call it.
I would rather have a boat that the sides come up high enough, that if I get thrown around by a wave, there is something to keep me in the boat. That's my definition of Freeboard.
But, all those boats don't have that high "something(freeboard)" - but they are all really cool boats.

Hell, I'm getting to the point I'll damn near buy anything that floats just to get back on the water...

So, what is the definition of "2nd Mortgageboard" or "i'm.so.brokeboard"???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.