Like Tree0Likes

What is freeboard?

Reply
Old 03-09-2006, 01:25 PM
  #31
Registered
 
Chris288's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY
My Boats: 2005 288 SUNSATION
Posts: 4,124
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Hey is that boat is post # 18 SINKING ??
Chris288 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:52 PM
  #32
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: oshawa ontario
My Boats: 31 Scarab Thunder
Posts: 4,699
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris288
Hey is that boat is post # 18 SINKING ??
NOPE!!!!...its just hunkerin' down....GETTIN' READY TO FLY!!!!

FOUNTAIN:WORLDS FASTEST VEE BOTTOM AND WINNER OF MORE OFFSHORE CHAMPIONSHIPS THAN ALL OTHER MANUFACTURES COMBINED!!!!!
pullmytrigger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:57 PM
  #33
Registered
 
mr_velocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,084
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther
In rough water it also makes a big difference when a big wave comes up behind you when you're moving slowly along.
.
Moving slow is a condition you know all too well

Last edited by mr_velocity; 03-09-2006 at 04:04 PM.
mr_velocity is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:00 PM
  #34
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member
 
Stormrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD
Posts: 8,810
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigDaze
That's what I would consider "cockpit depth."

Actually, what I'm concerned with is how high a wave must be before it crashes over the side of my boat, but that's not really relevant.


free·board
1. Nautical. The distance between the water line and the freeboard deck of a ship.
2. The distance between normal water level and the top of a structure, such as a dam, that impounds or restrains water.
I looked it up too before I posted, but then where is freeboard measured?
I know beam should be measured at the widest point of the boat.

Plus I've seen some 28ft cigs(and others) that stern sits very low, but thats because there is too much damn weight in the rear.

Can I get more freeboard by getting rid of my 525efi and going to the ilmors? The weight should make me sit a little higher in the water?

And as far as a wave crashing over your boat?
A breaking 8ft wave will crash over a 38 fountain, cig and 41 apache if you are a sitting duck.
Stormrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:03 PM
  #35
A to Z
Platinum Member
 
Sean H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: KC/LOTO
Posts: 9,156
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider
I looked it up too before I posted, but then where is freeboard measured?
I know beam should be measured at the widest point of the boat.

Plus I've seen some 28ft cigs(and others) that stern sits very low, but thats because there is too much damn weight in the rear.

Can I get more freeboard by getting rid of my 525efi and going to the ilmors? The weight should make me sit a little higher in the water?

And as far as a wave crashing over your boat?
A breaking 8ft wave will crash over a 38 fountain, cig and 41 apache if you are a sitting duck.
the definition i found said the freeboard is the height from the water to the lowest part of the gunwale....
Sean H is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:10 PM
  #36
Geronimo36
Gold Member
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Elkton, MD
My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout
Posts: 11,838
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Moving slow is a condition you know all too well
Yes, hopefully not this year!

Fingers crossed!
Panther is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:12 PM
  #37
Registered
 
Chris288's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY
My Boats: 2005 288 SUNSATION
Posts: 4,124
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
NOPE!!!!...its just hunkerin' down....GETTIN' READY TO FLY!!!!

FOUNTAIN:WORLDS FASTEST VEE BOTTOM AND WINNER OF MORE OFFSHORE CHAMPIONSHIPS THAN ALL OTHER MANUFACTURES COMBINED!!!!!
Thats all well and good, just don't stop...


actually It was a joke from another thread,,, regarding stupid questions you will get asked about your boat,, To Fountain owners,, hey is that boat sinking...

But, I would be willing to bet that more fountains take waves over the back and through the engine vents than any other Offshore boat..
Chris288 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:35 PM
  #38
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member
 
Stormrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD
Posts: 8,810
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean H
the definition i found said the freeboard is the height from the water to the lowest part of the gunwale....
OK... I'm down with that.
So the fountain in that pic may have lower freeboard than my 24 pantera had, but you would stand deeper in it.

So I guess I'll add to the main question here...
When mentioned on this board, what is usually meant by "freeboard"?
Stormrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:39 PM
  #39
Registered
 
birdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Batavia Oh.
My Boats: Top Gun
Posts: 4,034
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigDaze
That's what I would consider "cockpit depth."

Actually, what I'm concerned with is how high a wave must be before it crashes over the side of my boat, but that's not really relevant
Yup.......How wet am i going to get...
birdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:41 PM
  #40
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,261
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Moving slow is a condition you know all too well
LOL, I was thinking the same thing! Sounds like going too slow foir conditions!!!
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.