Like Tree0Likes

What is freeboard?

Reply
Old 03-10-2006, 10:00 AM
  #61
Geronimo36
Gold Member
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Elkton, MD
My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout
Posts: 11,838
Default Re: What is freeboard?

I can't wait for winter to end!
Panther is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:29 AM
  #62
Registered
 
fund razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
My Boats: Apache 28 Brave
Posts: 8,170
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Me too....

I can't wait to to plot a course on my maps and cast off the ropes.
fund razor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:01 AM
  #63
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member
 
Stormrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD
Posts: 8,810
Default Re: What is freeboard?

I'm just bringing this up, because if you're stuck out in 3-4fts, I dont think the diff between a formula and cig will make a difference.
And the boats w/ built in swim platform may make the freeboard 'seem' even lower than they are.
Stormrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:22 AM
  #64
Geronimo36
Gold Member
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Elkton, MD
My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout
Posts: 11,838
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider
I'm just bringing this up, because if you're stuck out in 3-4fts, I dont think the diff between a formula and cig will make a difference.
And the boats w/ built in swim platform may make the freeboard 'seem' even lower than they are.
The boat I mentioned earlier had one of them there swim platform thingys.

On that trip, which was a late afternoon trip back from Paddy McGees, there was a Sonic who was along for the ride. Everyone on that boat was dry and safe, the other boat was not. The next year the owner sold the boat and got a Sonic.
Panther is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:25 AM
  #65
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member
 
Stormrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD
Posts: 8,810
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Panther, sounds like a good decision made there.
But that may have more to do w/ hull design than freeboard.
Some boats are just wet.
Stormrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:33 AM
  #66
Registered
 
fund razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
My Boats: Apache 28 Brave
Posts: 8,170
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider
And the boats w/ built in swim platform may make the freeboard 'seem' even lower than they are.
This is a really good point because an integrated swim platform could give a wave a "handle" to grab and the mechanical advantage of leverage.
fund razor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:39 AM
  #67
A to Z
Platinum Member
 
Sean H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: KC/LOTO
Posts: 9,156
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fund razor
Me too....

I can't wait to to plot a course on my maps and cast off the ropes.
make sure you have plenty of bumpers...
Sean H is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:46 AM
  #68
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
CigDaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
Posts: 21,346
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean H
make sure you have plenty of bumpers...
...and dock ropes.
CigDaze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:54 AM
  #69
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member
 
Stormrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD
Posts: 8,810
Default Re: What is freeboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fund razor
This is a really good point because an integrated swim platform could give a wave a "handle" to grab and the mechanical advantage of leverage.
Funny you say that, because when growing up I remember all the swim platforms were teak or aluminum and had spaces in them so the water could go thru them.
And they were not figured into the length of the boat either.
And either were pulpits.
Stormrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
  #70
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member
 
Stormrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD
Posts: 8,810
Default Re: What is freeboard?

I just went to the cig site.
It says the freeboard for a 39TG unlimited is 41".
There aint no way the rubrail at the transom is 3.5ft above waterline.
Stormrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.