Like Tree0Likes

The Bay Air 12V A/C System

Old 03-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 Cigarette Bullet
Default Re: The Bay Air 12V A/C System

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigDaze
That's a nice unit, but it will require about 500 watts to run.
It'll Need a gen.
Yep
Old 03-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Registered

My Boats: velocity/proline

there is a company that is making a air that runs on 12 volts and two 12 volt batterys will run it for 8 hrs. i know velocity has been putting some of these in and i heard they work good you can add a battery charger system and when you are pluged in the shore power they will run forever and recharge the batterys for away for the dock use of the air
Old 03-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Washington
Yep
Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Registered

Gentlemen,
I stumbled across this thread and would like to answer some of the questions that have been raised about the Patented Bay Air Cooling System. A good rule of thumb for ice consumption is around 10 lbs per hour. We recommend a 2-3 cubic foot ice compartment for overnighting. Our system works much like a conventional A/C system, in principal. We are circulating a coolant through a heat exchanger and a fan blows across the exchanger and cool air is created. However, instead of using an energy consuming compressed gas, we are using water that is around 32 deg. F. The air that is emitted from our unit is actually cooler than a compressed gas system due to the risk of a compressed gas system freezing up. Our unit will not freeze over. The Bay Air System is not a swamp cooler. Swamp coolers only work in areas with low humidity. Our unit will work in all climates and in fact our unit is an excellent de-humidifier which is half the battle in creating a comfortable environment. Let me explain how the system works. We use a standard Attwood 750gph pump. This pump is inherently an on-off pump. Through our control unit we have converted the pump into a variable speed pump. We have two controls on our unit, one fan speed control (High, Medium, and Low) and a temperature control. Let's say you set the temperature to 72 deg. and turn the unit to high fan. The system immediately begins to emit cool air and begins monitoring the cabin air temperature and comparing it to the set temperature of 72 deg. Once the cabin air temperature approaches 72 deg. the pump begins to slow down. Once the cabin air temperature of 72 deg. is achieved the pump slows to whatever speed to maintain that temperature. This is how our unit maintains the desired temperature in the cabin and also conserves ice. More ice is used in the first part of the cool down process where you are requiring the most energy. Our unit only weighs 18lbs (25lbs for the ducted unit), and has a 6500 BTU cooling capacity. The advantages of our unit over other AC systems are:
1. You do not have to be connected to shore power allowing you to have AC anywhere on the water.
2. Maintaining a heavy bank of batteries is not required. Because of a max amp draw of only 3.3 amps one group 24 marine battery will power our unit for 20hrs. So multiple nights on the water can easily be achieved without a shore power recharge. Normally, the days activities is enough to replenish the battery to a full charge.
3. Run light when you want to. Our unit only weighs 18 lbs, add the ice when you need AC.
4. Most AC systems require generators and along with that comes the worry of carbon monoxide poisoning.
5. Installation is simple and clean.
The Bay Air Cooling System is not the answer for everyone. It is however, an excellent cooling solution for those who don't have the room or want the permanent weight of a conventional system. Which brings me to this. We offer a 30/30 guarantee that blows away any warranty in marine air.
If for any reason you are not satisfied with the system within 30 days of receiving it send it back and we will refund your money less shipping. Also, if the system fails for any reason within 30 months, other than submersion or abnormal abuse (Our unit will handle the rigors and abuse of high performance offshore power boating.) we will repair or replace the unit for free.
Unit costs
Standard Bay Air Cooling System $1500.00
Ducted Bay Air Cooling System $2300.00
If you have any further questions or would like to talk about your specific application, please call me at 251-554-1214.
Thank you,
Mark Mize
Old 03-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)

My Boats: 42 FOUNTAIN / MALIBU

thanks for the info Mark
Old 03-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 2000 Cigarette Topgun

I dont know about you guys but around here we use our cabins for 3 things, sleeping, screwing, and taking a piss. Overnighting @ marinas and boat clubs is really the only place to be, which have shore power. The big Cig coolers go through a crap load of ice on there own.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackin
I dont know about you guys but around here we use our cabins for 3 things, sleeping, screwing, and taking a piss. Overnighting @ marinas and boat clubs is really the only place to be, which have shore power. The big Cig coolers go through a crap load of ice on there own.

its hot in TEXAS
Old 03-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 2000 Cigarette Topgun

Clay must be afraid of the water. JUMP IN STUPID!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackin
Clay must be afraid of the water. JUMP IN STUPID!

he is afraid it would cause srinkage
Old 03-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer

Good info Mark, nice post.

You're right, it's not an evaporative cooler, rather it's a closed-circuit heat exchanger cooler. My appologies for my use of term "Swamp" cooler, although in my neck of the woods, what you have is what we dubbed swamp coolers.

As a matter of fact I've built quite a few, but not as sophisticated as yours. We'd use large insulated ice chests filled with ice and ran coiled copper tubing through the ice and brought it up above where it was once again coiled such that it was in the middle of an airstream(fan and 8" diameter ducting). I used fish tank pumps to circulate water through the copper tubing. Pretty elementary, but it worked wonders.