Like Tree0Likes

Portable Generators

Reply
Old 03-14-2006, 06:57 PM
  #21
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Clay Washington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
My Boats: 1990 Cigarette Bullet
Posts: 6,986
Default Re: Portable Generators

t500hps,

I am seriously considering the Cruisair Zephyr ZF5 (5000 BTU). I can get a complete unit for $1200 in Houston. My best friend owns/operates a HVAC business and he also owns a 29-foot Fountain. I think that he and I could install the A/C unit over a weekend.

My biggest problem is power. My Bullet has two deep cycle batteries, and 30amp battery charger, and Shore Power. I don't think I want a "permanent" generator, and I don't want a huge, bulky "portable" generator.

Right now I am leaning towards two more batteries and replace the 30amp charger with a larger charger/inverter. This should give me the power to run the stereo all day and run the A/C for short periods. I would still need a small portable generator (like the Honda EU2000i ) for overnighting.

Lots to think about...

Last edited by Clay Washington; 03-14-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Clay Washington is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:42 PM
  #22
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Clay Washington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
My Boats: 1990 Cigarette Bullet
Posts: 6,986
Default Re: Portable Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog
Did you price the other one i posted ?...Mermaid
$1700 w/ installation kit
Clay Washington is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:32 PM
  #23
Member #9
Charter Member
 
hp500efi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pewaukee, WI
Posts: 4,269
Default Re: Portable Generators

Honda without question. !!!

I have one for my 4-wheeler trailer and it out performs anything out there.
__________________
Member of the Liquid Jungle
hp500efi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:43 PM
  #24
Registered
 
kr1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Tampa,Fl
My Boats: Baja 442
Posts: 570
Default Re: Portable Generators

I ran the Eu2000 on my Baja 38 Specail and it did fine. I have sold quite a few 2000's to boaters as we are located in Clearwater. We have been able to get a 10,000 btu unit to run on a 2000 but it was a new a/c unit. On and older boat with a 10,000 btu unit it would not start it up. If you go with the smaller a/c units, you will only need to get a splitter for a standard 110 outlet from someone like West Marine that has a 30 amp twist on the other end to hook to your shore power connection and it will work fine. I just hooked the adapter to my shore power cable and plugged it righth in to the generator.
kr1276 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:51 PM
  #25
Registered
 
Scott B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Slightly North of Cuba
My Boats: Donzi Criterion SS, X-18 , 16 OB, Z-235, F-14, Magnum Missile
Posts: 2,914
Default Re: Portable Generators

Subaru Robin makes some killer inverters also. Quality wise they will stand right up there with the Honda's, and beat most of the others. We use there generators in our rental fleet along with Yamah's, and if my customers can't kill em....
Scott B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:09 PM
  #26
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member
 
t500hps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 7,921
Default Re: Portable Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Washington
t500hps,

I am seriously considering the Cruisair Zephyr ZF5 (5000 BTU). I can get a complete unit for $1200 in Houston. My best friend owns/operates a HVAC business and he also owns a 29-foot Fountain. I think that he and I could install the A/C unit over a weekend.

My biggest problem is power. My Bullet has two deep cycle batteries, and 30amp battery charger, and Shore Power. I don't think I want a "permanent" generator, and I don't want a huge, bulky "portable" generator.

Right now I am leaning towards two more batteries and replace the 30amp charger with a larger charger/inverter. This should give me the power to run the stereo all day and run the A/C for short periods. I would still need a small portable generator (like the Honda EU2000i ) for overnighting.

Lots to think about...
This post is EXACTLY what I've decided to do. We overnight 5-10 nights a summer and hope to increase that a little. I still ponder an inverter but would need an extra battery or 2. The Honda is 50-60 lbs I can leave at the dock on the days I really don't need the thing. A local boater was able to get me a little better deal on the AC with the installation kit. (I thought Boaters World had them with the kit for $1500.00recently)

Good Luck, your considering all the options, just pick the one that suits YOUR needs.
t500hps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:17 PM
  #27
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Clay Washington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
My Boats: 1990 Cigarette Bullet
Posts: 6,986
Default Re: Portable Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by t500hps
I thought Boaters World had them with the kit for $1500.00 recently
West Marine has the 5000 BTU "Cool Mate" for $1499. The Zepher is exactly the same, but I can get it for $1200.
Clay Washington is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:10 PM
  #28
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member
 
t500hps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 7,921
Default Re: Portable Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Washington
West Marine has the 5000 BTU "Cool Mate" for $1499. The Zepher is exactly the same, but I can get it for $1200.
Seems like a good price even if it doesn't include the installation kit. I think the install kit is another $200.00.
t500hps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:58 PM
  #29
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Clay Washington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
My Boats: 1990 Cigarette Bullet
Posts: 6,986
Default Re: Portable Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by t500hps
Seems like a good price even if it doesn't include the installation kit. I think the install kit is another $200.00.
Both include the complete install kit.
Clay Washington is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:04 AM
  #30
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
HiPerf2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: N.E.
My Boats: Sonic
Posts: 4,072
Default Re: Portable Generators

I have the honda 2000, and it runs my 7k marine air, fridge, and battery charger. 1 gallon of gas lasts 7+ hours running all of the above.
HiPerf2000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
docmanrich37
General Q & A
1
08-16-2005 09:33 AM
rssteiny
General Q & A
2
07-07-2004 10:32 PM
FormulaFan
General Q & A
4
12-23-2003 11:05 PM
bikinilover
Baja
26
07-23-2003 08:03 PM
Raypanic
General Boating Discussion
5
05-23-2002 12:20 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.