Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Past and Present Sunsation Owners (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/126410-past-present-sunsation-owners.html)

ThoroughHustler 04-01-2006 06:26 PM

Past and Present Sunsation Owners

I am considering buyin a Sunsation, its a big purchase ....So i have a few questions.

How is the Customer Service?
Build Quality?
Handling? Etc....

Any ones Input would be great !

Thanks

carrboy 04-01-2006 06:30 PM

Re: Past and Present Sunsation Owners

I can only tell you to look at that one thread under sunsation about that one that disintegrated...the so-called witnesses say it was only in 3-4 footers :rolleyes:

f311fr1 04-01-2006 06:39 PM

They seem to have high build quality. How ever a 32 Innovator rolled on Fox River in IL and was destroyed and see above mentioned thread. They are a small 32.

TeamSaris 04-01-2006 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ThoroughHustler
I am considering buyin a Sunsation, its a big purchase ....So i have a few questions.

Build Quality?
Handling? Etc....

Thanks

Il ike there boat but in that size range it would be superboat all the way for me.

Ca$hed Out 04-01-2006 09:37 PM

Where is the thread you mention?

red thunder 04-01-2006 09:48 PM

Go to the Sunsation Forum

CAP071 04-01-2006 09:58 PM

I owned a 28 Sunsation it was fantastic. as for customer service that was even better. If I was back on the market for a speed boat I would ONLY buy a Sunsation

CAP071 04-01-2006 10:02 PM

Let me think what boat company hasn't had a boat flip or roll ? And what boat company doesn't have unsatisfied customers. :rolleyes:

If you have question about Sunsation call the Factory they will speak to you. Try that with some,( notice how I said some) of the other boat builders.

Are you looking new or used ? What size?

Jupiter Sunsation 04-02-2006 08:32 AM

Build Quality?
Handling? Etc....

Thanks

Customer service is a 25 on a scale of 1-10!
Build quality is excellent
The new 32 SS is killer and the 32 Dominator is excellent.

The damaged boat stories are user error, the 32 innovator that rolled was doing a high speed turn in like 3 ft of water and the guy passing the tug boat may have landed on the side of the boat separating the deck and hull. Anyone can do stupid things no matter what the product, look at the Enzo Ferrari that split last month in California. You couldn't say that car fell apart in a traffic crash without knowing that he was going 160 MPH and hit a power pole!

Call Sunsation and speak to the owners and like Cap71 said try that with a few other boat brands. Sunsation has been around since 1982 and I would definitely buy another.

bonecrusher 04-02-2006 11:51 PM

I owned a 2001 32' with twin 502's, loved the boat great quality. Never had any problems but when I had questions the factory was great. I would buy another, the only complaint I had was the small cockpit area and no seperate head. I think they have one now. Good Luck

Gizmo 04-03-2006 12:19 AM

I own a 32 Dominator. Didn't know anything about them until a good friend of mine bought his. I started looking, found a 95' w/500hp's. love the handle, plenty of speed. Fit and finish are exellent. I have been in touch with the factory several times with questions. Always eager to assist.
I only have a few dislikes. Not enough cockpit space being the biggest (but,I knew that before I started thr search). It is what I consider to be a sitdown boat, due to it's low profile. Over all, for the money, $ 4 $, I feel you will have to look long and hard to find better.
Another friend bought Capo71's 28'er and loves it, also.

sun 304 04-03-2006 05:24 AM

I owned a 25 Aggressor for ten years 93-03. A few minor problems in beginning which was handled quickley by the factory. I ran in some pretty severe conditions from time to time and it never got so much as a gel-coat crack in the hull. I would feel secure with a Sunsation purchase. Good people good company. Just my feeble openion.

Payton 04-03-2006 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Customer service is a 25 on a scale of 1-10!
Build quality is excellent
The new 32 SS is killer and the 32 Dominator is excellent.

The damaged boat stories are user error, the 32 innovator that rolled was doing a high speed turn in like 3 ft of water and the guy passing the tug boat may have landed on the side of the boat separating the deck and hull. Anyone can do stupid things no matter what the product, look at the Enzo Ferrari that split last month in California. You couldn't say that car fell apart in a traffic crash without knowing that he was going 160 MPH and hit a power pole!

Call Sunsation and speak to the owners and like Cap71 said try that with a few other boat brands. Sunsation has been around since 1982 and I would definitely buy another.

This is right on!! Look a Sunsation over very close and you will love it.

Whiteknuckle 04-03-2006 07:45 AM

I have hull #39 from Sunsation, a 24 ft Rocket that does not even have gelcoat crack after 17 years. Two years ago I stopped in the factory to see if they might have a trim peice for the cabin door. Joe Shaldenbrad, one of the owners, looked all over the plant for the piece and then called me later in the day. Unbelievable! Try that with another manufacturer. Since I live near the plant, it is obvious that this is Sunsation Country, and I have never,(I say never) talked to a owner that didn't love their boat.

As far as carrboy's comments I think that was a cheap shot, and inappropriate knowing what I know about Sunsations history, reputation and quality, to immediately point out a accident as the means to judge a company's product. Before we can pass judgement, we need to know the complete circumstances of the accident.

Pantera1 04-03-2006 08:12 AM

The only one ive ever heard of having structural problems was tripped at speed :rolleyes: Wreck a boat the right way and any of them will come apart. Sunsations have an excellent track record, and are a great value compared to whats out there..

Smitty 04-03-2006 08:20 AM

The one that happened on the Fox River in Illinois was driver error.

carrboy 04-03-2006 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Whiteknuckle
I have hull #39 from Sunsation, a 24 ft Rocket that does not even have gelcoat crack after 17 years. Two years ago I stopped in the factory to see if they might have a trim peice for the cabin door. Joe Shaldenbrad, one of the owners, looked all over the plant for the piece and then called me later in the day. Unbelievable! Try that with another manufacturer. Since I live near the plant, it is obvious that this is Sunsation Country, and I have never,(I say never) talked to a owner that didn't love their boat.

As far as carrboy's comments I think that was a cheap shot, and inappropriate knowing what I know about Sunsations history, reputation and quality, to immediately point out a accident as the means to judge a company's product. Before we can pass judgement, we need to know the complete circumstances of the accident.

WTF!!!Cheap shot!I was just passing on the info stated in the thread...I don't know anything about the boats but almost bought one myself...I was only trying to pass along info...if tou read my reply I even state "the so-called witnesses"*******...have a great f'n day!

Fast Shafts 04-03-2006 09:40 AM

A few years ago I raced on "Wild Rose", a stock 28' Sunsation, never had ANY structural issues! Many of these races were Ocean races in NJ. I'm also racing OPA this year in a 24' Sunsation. I would not hesitate to consider another Sunsation!

Semper Fi 04-03-2006 10:08 AM

From what I gathered from a large majority of the Sunsations owners here on OSO is that they are/were very happy with their boats and customer service. I personally have never owned one, but they would be on my list if I was looking. You might want to check out Laveycraft also (www.laveycraft.com) They build a great boat, proven track record in racing and they do have great customer service.

ANY boat can can get destroyed by water, so I wouldn't base my decision on 1 boat delaminating or coming apart.

ATFastForward 04-03-2006 10:53 AM

I owned a 28 Sunsation and I loved the boat.
The quality was very good.
The service was excellent.
I had a warranty item that needed to be addressed while on vacation and it took one call to Joe. Joe told me to take the boat to the nearest marina of my choice. He called the marina helped diagnose the problem and payed the bill before I picked the boat up. I was back on the water in no time. I ran the boat on Lake Michigan and handle the big water great.
I sold it to buy a cruiser.
What a mistake!
I could not handle going slow.

ThoroughHustler 04-03-2006 10:54 AM

thanks guys

hvyhitter19 04-03-2006 12:43 PM

I just bought an 02 Dominator, and I have been on the phone with Joe at Sunsation a few times already... Just to find out how things work on the boat (no Manual) and he has been MORE then plesant and even gave me his cell number to call him back one time... Can't say enough about the Customer Service for sure...

I am all too happy with the boat thus far... I was out this past weekend in the potomac, and there were 3-4 footers out there which is REALLY Bad for the river... And the boat did Great... No Problems at all...

Canada Jeff 04-03-2006 02:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The first couple posts in this thread are not from Sunsation owners!

You can't go wrong with Sunsation. They don't have the biggest cabin, or cockpit, but they work VERY well.

I have just less than 300 on my 288, and love her with no problems other than the valve springs I did on my 500. Preventative maintenance at that, no problem.

Chris288 04-03-2006 03:10 PM

I have an 05 288 w/ just over 100 hours that we enjoy very much, it has a great combination of handling, speed, cockpt / cabin space and styling. Sunsation customer service is awesome.

of course the accident has me concerned, I would sure like to know what really happened, but the facts have't come out yet. Scary site seing that engine hatch just floating there..

ThoroughHustler 04-03-2006 08:09 PM

I would love to have a 32 ...I run in big water and go on a load of poker runs, i have 24ft it runs 82 but i need somthing bigger. Most likly would go used.

carrboy 04-03-2006 08:35 PM

I would love to have a 32 ...I run in big water and go on a load of poker runs, i have 24ft it runs 82 but i need somthing bigger. Most likly would go used.

Buy my 31 sonic,great rough water boat!!!It's in the OSO classifieds http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-8398.html :D

Canada Jeff 04-04-2006 06:41 AM

Thats a great package Carrboy ! I have always liked the 31 Sonic.

Hot Boat 04-04-2006 08:00 AM

DominatingS32 has a 32 single engine that ran over 92 mph. I have a feeling he will see 110+ this season with his new set up. Sunsation has worked along with him on the R and D to get where he is. Very impressive boat. It would be one of my choices if I was in the market

Jupiter Sunsation 04-04-2006 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
DominatingS32 has a 32 single engine that ran over 92 mph. I have a feeling he will see 110+ this season with his new set up. Sunsation has worked along with him on the R and D to get where he is. Very impressive boat. It would be one of my choices if I was in the market

Hotboat, what is the deal with the single screw dominators. Someone posted on Sunsations site about a recently sold single 525 boat but got little response. They have only built a few boats since I think it is cheaper to build a 32 with twin 6.2's then a single 525. Are the single boats a better setup since the weight of the extra motor/drive may hinder the performance of the 32 more then help?

Jimmys 288 04-04-2006 09:09 AM

Bought a 288 a couple of years ago and never ever considered another boat. Never even looked at another boat. Would only get rid of it to buy a bigger Sunsation.

Sunsation quality is outstanding and Customer Service is hands down, the best I have ever incountered. I have cell phone numbers for both Joe and Barry that I can call any time if I need anything at all. I even called them from the water on a Saturday and they answered the phone. Mitcher T (who does the paint work) is the same way.

Buy it - you won't regret it.

C-

RedDog382 04-04-2006 09:41 AM

Knew a guy from Toledo that bought one of the early 32 Sunsations (around '93 or '94?), yellow with black and blue graphics. I don't think he had much offshore experience. Took it out on Lake Erie and stuffed it so hard he shattered a windshield section. That was replaced. He continued to run it pretty hard in some rough stuff. He later told me there were stress and structural cracks all over the boat. His side of the story was when he went to the manufacturer for hull repair under warranty, he was told the warranty was voided. When he protested, he claimed he was told this was because he "abused the boat", citing the earlier incident with the broken windsheild. He was definately not pleased, later got rid of the boat and got into a Cig. He moved up to Michigan I have not seen him in many years.

Not trying to start anything, just what I was told by a former owner of a early production 32 several years ago.

hvyhitter19 04-04-2006 10:14 AM

Knew a guy from Toledo that bought one of the early 32 Sunsations (around '93 or '94?), yellow with black and blue graphics. I don't think he had much offshore experience. Took it out on Lake Erie and stuffed it so hard he shattered a windshield section. That was replaced. He continued to run it pretty hard in some rough stuff. He later told me there were stress and structural cracks all over the boat. His side of the story was when he went to the manufacturer for hull repair under warranty, he was told the warranty was voided. When he protested, he claimed he was told this was because he "abused the boat", citing the earlier incident with the broken windsheild. He was definately not pleased, later got rid of the boat and got into a Cig. He moved up to Michigan I have not seen him in many years.
I'm not really sure how that works, but I would image if you broke the boat to peices once and they put it back together for you, and then you went out and did it again they would be alot less inclined to help you out... I mean you can't expect them to rebuild a boat that someone is just Beating to death... Just like the guy that wrecked his last week, That's not sunsations fault... And he's not expecting them to put it back together...

IM4A2Z 04-04-2006 09:15 PM

I have a 2005 Sunsation 288 Mid-Cabin Open Bow and love it. I looked at several other boat mfg's and decided on the Sunsation. I haven't looked back once. Great build quality and the customer service is top notch. I have Joe's cell phone number as well as his work number and he's always happy to answer any questions.

Joe 04-04-2006 09:49 PM

Didn't read all the posts.. so this might already be said, but here's some 'unofficial' comments (so no one get's sued here) that I "may" have witnessed.

1) Just outside Govt. Cut in Miami 32 jumping 8-10' waves and cracked the back 1/4 of the boat completely in half.

2) Galveston, TX - 32 was in the ship channel, and is now at the bottom of it!!!!!!!

CAP071 04-05-2006 06:01 AM

Buy it - you won't regret it. so true :drink:

Canada Jeff 04-05-2006 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Joe
Didn't read all the posts.. so this might already be said, but here's some 'unofficial' comments (so no one get's sued here) that I "may" have witnessed.

1) Just outside Govt. Cut in Miami 32 jumping 8-10' waves and cracked the back 1/4 of the boat completely in half.

2) Galveston, TX - 32 was in the ship channel, and is now at the bottom of it!!!!!!!

So whats the purpose of this post? "Unoffcial" and "May have" ? Please, if you don't own one, or have been it one, your opinion should be reflected that way.

Titan 04-05-2006 07:07 AM

82 huh :eek:
Yeh Sure and you beat a 27 Activator with a 525 at the Hot Toddy Run..

Common James step up to the plate and build a kick ass set of Mills stick them in a 34 Hustler and call it a day. I need some competition for the summer...

Whiteknuckle 04-05-2006 07:22 AM

Build Quality?
Handling? Etc....

Thanks

Canada Jeff

I certainly agree with your comments. The guys starts the post, with the above questions, and we get people responding with these bizarre scenarios on how a Sunsation was abused and failed. They are not industructable, and this is proven in the bizarre examples given. However anything can be broken given the right circumstances.
For the guy who started the post, make the investment of visiting the plant, talk to the owners, demo a boat, and talk to boat owners face to face. Also, depending on how big a hurry you are in, come to the Sunsation Rally. You will have dozens of Sunsation owners together in one place at one time that you can talk to and look at their boats. Good luck with your decision!

BAJA WILL 04-05-2006 07:42 AM

My cousins have a 32 open bow, great boat, they are very happy with it. Only complaint is that teh upgraded stereo package was not worth the 2K but hey what Boat mfg stereo is worth 2 cents anyway. :drink:

WILL

ZP\'d 04-05-2006 08:50 AM

Best Customer Service in any industry I've ever encountered.
Joe was the only Company Rep at the Chicago Boat show a couple years back that didn't bad mouth his competition in any way shape or form, nor hurry me along to talk with another potential Customer. Spoke with him for at least 30minutes and never once told him I WAS going to buy one of his boats, nor even hinted to him I was looking.
Bought a 288 and will buy another one if time comes to move up, regardless of how many web stories I hear from guys that knew guys, that had cousins, that had a friend who's Sunsation had a problem. I've never seen a posting from a actual owner that felt Sunsation wasn't a awesome boat/ company, with the best Customer Service in the industry.
Doesn't concern me one bit that a 32 suffered a total loss from running in a poker run. Poker Runs have claimed more then one boat.