Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water >

Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Notices

Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Old 04-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Did a sea trial on a 28ZX yesterday with the 6.2 mercs. My surveyor (an ex pro throttle man) and I were disappointed with the boat's handling. It took a lot of work (constant little adjustments) to get it to go where you wanted it to and seemed unstable (like it could dart anywhere at anytime).

Before this run I was set on a 28' donzi with twin power, but now I am second guessing.

Does this sound typical for this boat, or was this particular boat just a P.O.S.? Everything checked out pretty well on the survey and all the other comments I have dug up on OSO say the 28ZX is great in the rough. This was in calm.

Something to note ...

Boat had 1/2 cable, 1/2 hydraullic steering. Are the boats will full hydro that much different?

TIA for your comments.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

I can't say for the Donzi but every boat I've driven that was switched to full hydraulic made a world of difference. Was there a lot of play in the steering wheel?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
BJM
Registered

I had the same experience with a friends 28 with 350's. He thought it rode well. I thought it was one of the worst riding boats ever! I think the boat looks cool but I was way disapointed with the ride! Water conditions were 2-3's. When I hear people say that the 28 is great in rough water, I wonder if we're talking about the same boat or they just don't know any better. If ride is important, I would keep lookin.
This is not to bash anything or anyone., just my opinion based on my experience.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
I can't say for the Donzi but every boat I've driven that was switched to full hydraulic made a world of difference. Was there a lot of play in the steering wheel?
Yes ... could spin the wheel a good bit (3-4 inches) either direction before the boat responded.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BJM
I had the same experience with a friends 28 with 350's. He thought it rode well. I thought it was one of the worst riding boats ever! I think the boat looks cool but I was way disapointed with the ride! Water conditions were 2-3's. When I hear people say that the 28 is great in rough water, I wonder if we're talking about the same boat or they just don't know any better. If ride is important, I would keep lookin.
This is not to bash anything or anyone., just my opinion based on my experience.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Do you know if he had the full hydro or 1/2? Everything I read points to the opposite of what I was told and felt yesterday.

I am too new to boating to know why it felt that way, but def. could feel it. Surveyor thought it may be the hull design (steps) or the steering. Thanks for the comments. OSO rules.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:43 PM
BJM
Registered

West
I honestly don't remember details of the steering, it was a few years ago. I just remember I was glad when we got back to the dock. Since your new to boating, take your time. Lots of boats to choose from. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked out a 28 with Scorpion motors and yes, you have correct left..........then correct right...........then left again and so on. It's the hull design I guess since I had the same issue. So obviously that didn't work for me as well.
Try a Baja since they use conventional V's and not steps. The Scarabs you are thinking about should be conventionals as well.

PS: if you're new to boating, I highly recommend you stay with conventional V's for the time being.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check-out another boat(28ZX) if I were you. I've run a number of them, including one w/ Pro-Chargers, and they can be a pretty fun boat. Put it this way...directional stability was not an issue. You can't go wrong with full hyd. steering.
A common error with that boat is over trimming drives, and that can make the boat feel too loose.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by UNSANE
I checked out a 28 with Scorpion motors and yes, you have correct left..........then correct right...........then left again and so on. It's the hull design I guess since I had the same issue. So obviously that didn't work for me as well.
Try a Baja since they use conventional V's and not steps. The Scarabs you are thinking about should be conventionals as well.

PS: if you're new to boating, I highly recommend you stay with conventional V's for the time being.
Why conventional V? Not doubting, just want to know more. That limits my search considerably.

I am new to boating, but not new to speed. I have amatuer raced cars as well as motorcycles so I don't want to end up with somethng that leaves me wanting more after a season or two.

- Kyle
Old 04-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hpoffshore
I'd check-out another boat(28ZX) if I were you. I've run a number of them, including one w/ Pro-Chargers, and they can be a pretty fun boat. Put it this way...directional stability was not an issue. You can't go wrong with full hyd. steering.
A common error with that boat is over trimming drives, and that can make the boat feel too loose.
I am seeing another on Sat. On paper and in pictures I love the Donzi, but if they all ride horrible I'll have to keep looking.

Quick Reply: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.