Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat Sold...How To Arrange Payment? >

Boat Sold...How To Arrange Payment?

Notices

Boat Sold...How To Arrange Payment?

Old 04-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boat Sold...How To Arrange Payment?

Question from buyers perspective: (yup, I will be buying BajaFresh's boat!) How am I protected from the seller taking my money and NOT paying off the boat loan? I would end up with posession of the boat, but not have title in hand.

I have no reason to distrust the seller, but we must protect ourselves. Thanks for the info, it's all been great.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a Bank check made out to Citizens against smog horror (CASH) and send it to Bill Hionas in Florida. A smooth transaction will follow
Old 04-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by drmayer
Question from buyers perspective: (yup, I will be buying BajaFresh's boat!) How am I protected from the seller taking my money and NOT paying off the boat loan? I would end up with posession of the boat, but not have title in hand.

I have no reason to distrust the seller, but we must protect ourselves. Thanks for the info, it's all been great.
Hey Dan,

I like Rainmn's post. Let's try to work that out tomorrow, pre-setup of wired funds transfer. Maybe full amount to G.E. and they can just send me a check for the difference. I'll call G.E. in the morning and see what they think.

Now we just have to find a meeting place. You sure you don't want to drive down here for the Havasu poker run?

-Al
Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
Hey Dan,

I like Rainmn's post. Let's try to work that out tomorrow, pre-setup of wired funds transfer. Maybe full amount to G.E. and they can just send me a check for the difference. I'll call G.E. in the morning and see what they think.

Now we just have to find a meeting place. You sure you don't want to drive down here for the Havasu poker run?

-Al
I think that would be the best option, I just got a similar suggestion from a friend.

The poker run sounds like a blast, but I don't think I'd ever want to go back to the rain in the NW!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:57 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to the my bank with the buyer 'early afternoon' with boat in tow
made sure he had insurance coverage allready in effect for his benafit. My bank allowed him to call his and do a wire transfer, then my bank gave us the lean release and allowed us to finish the transaction right there. being well prepaired he had temp trailer tags too.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hijack the thread, I have a question...If a wire transfer or certified funds goes into the sellers account. Does the seller need to pay tax on the amount deposited?
Old 04-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, only sales tax needs to be paid and it will be paid by the buyer when he regesters the boat in his state. If his sate has sales tax.
I supose if the seller made a profit on the sale he should claim the profit on his income tax and then it would probubly be taxed as capital gain tax and not income tax. But I doubt the seller made $$ on the sale.

Last edited by Payton; 04-07-2006 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Payton
No, only sales tax needs to be paid and it will be paid by the buyer when he regesters the boat in his state. If his sate has sales tax.
I supose if the seller made a profit on the sale he should claim the profit on his income tax and then it would probubly be taxed as capital gain tax and not income tax. But I doubt the seller made $$ on the sale.
Does'nt the bank report deposits of more than $10K? I hate to sound dumb but how do you prove no profit was made on a sale when tax time comes?
Old 04-07-2006, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cig1988
Does'nt the bank report deposits of more than $10K? I hate to sound dumb but how do you prove no profit was made on a sale when tax time comes?
Banks supposedly report anything over $5K. I have documents showing what I paid for the boat and will have bill of sale showing what I sold it for. The IRS can kiss my Azz!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Registered

I just recently sold a motorcycle. The buyer brought a certified bank check from a major bank. My bank still would not release the title because they said there is so much fraud and it still takes time for the check to clear.

The only way that they would release the title at that time is if the buyer payed with cash. We took the check to a local branch of his bank and they made a few phone calls and gave the guy the money. We returned to my bank and payed off the loan and got the lean released.

Cordell

Quick Reply: Boat Sold...How To Arrange Payment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.