Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Since Nobody Wanted To Sell Me a Boat .. Pick My New Boat - 28ZX Saga Continues (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/127027-since-nobody-wanted-sell-me-boat-pick-my-new-boat-28zx-saga-continues.html)

kswest 04-08-2006 08:34 PM

Since Nobody Wanted To Sell Me a Boat .. Pick My New Boat - 28ZX Saga Continues

If anyone cares to get up to date on my search here is the thread about not buying the last Donzi 28ZX I looked at: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=126694

… and here is the thread about the main issue I had with the last Donzi I looked at: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=126733

-------------------------------------

So today I went and looked at two other Donzi 28ZXs and drove one (the other’s owner is out of town until next week, I’ll drive it sometime this week).

My worries about the boats handling were resolved. We were out in 4-5 ft seas on Biscane Bay (Miami) and the boat did fine. If anyone was out today the wind was really picking up and the water was rough. The boat handled the water great and the steering was spot on.

The other boat (the one I am not buying) had ½ cable, ½ hydro steering, the boat today has full hydro. It made all the difference in the world. The difference was night and day.

With all that said the 28ZX works well for me, I am ready to stick with it. Nice fit/finish, good power, great looks, in the price range, etc. Now I have 2 to pick from …

The first (the one I drove today) is yellow with twin 350 MAGS. About 300 hours on the boat. Relatively clean, oil change, prop maintenance done in November. Here is the full boat trader ad: (http://www.boattraderonline.com/adde....html?82782510)

Originally Posted by boattrader.com
2000 DONZI 28ZX, 28' Great 2000 Donzi 28ZX ... Great Power Boat! This Donzi Z-28-ZX features a well lite cabin with a V Bearth to sleep two. The cabin has a sony am/fm cd player stereo with 4 speakers. 1998 galvanized trailer. Hydraulic engine hatch, donzi Hydraulic assit steering, dual batteries automatic bilge pumps, bilge blowers, power trim and Tilt, halon fire extinguisher system. Silent Choice Exhaust available on boat, mooring cover, swim platform and ladder This is the third owner, was bougt in 2001 and kept in the same location inside dry rack storage summer in Conn. Dry rack storage inside winter Florida.

The second is blue, same twin 350 MAGS, more hours (400). A little cleaner and some extra options (CD Changer, Power Seats, Trim on the throttles). It also recently had a LOT of the maintainence work done (manifolds, tabs, hydraulic rams, etc.) One thing I notices that worried me are some very light and superficial crack (like a spider web) on the floor in the passenger area. Looks like someone dropped something, maybe stress cracks? Also there was a dime size pieces of gelcoat missing on the hull. I haven’t questioned the owner about either yet. Here is the full boat trader ad: (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/3/82493193.htm)

Originally Posted by boattrader.com
2000 DONZI 28ZX, 28' Excellent condition stored inside major service and tune-up on engines and outdrives. New risers, elbows, manifolds,water pumps, impellers, thermostats, tiebar and preformed compression check on both engines. White with blue graphics,350 mags,latham steering,K-plates,silent choice,GPS,AM/FM stereo CD changer,pumpout head,galley sink,freshwater transom shower, cockpit cover and carpet.

To sum it up, basically the same boat except for a few options and the color scheme – virtually the same price. The question is do I go with the boat with lower hours and fewer options or the boat with more options, higher hours but all the maintenance done?

Which would you pick? Thanks again, I can’t get over how great the boating community is. :D :D

Tony Montana 04-08-2006 08:50 PM

Re: Since Nobody Wanted To Sell Me a Boat .. Pick My New Boat - 28ZX Saga Continues

The second link does not go to a trader ad?

kswest 04-08-2006 08:54 PM

Re: Since Nobody Wanted To Sell Me a Boat .. Pick My New Boat - 28ZX Saga Continues

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
The second link does not go to a trader ad?

whoops. fixed it. Thanks.

Tony Montana 04-08-2006 09:10 PM

Well looked at both and if it was me i'd say yellow one lower hours and trailer. Get it surveyed and you can't go wrong.My .02 good luck :cool:

kswest 04-08-2006 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Well looked at both and if it was me i'd say yellow one lower hours and trailer. Get it surveyed and you can't go wrong.My .02 good luck :cool:

Ed Cozzi will check out anything before I plunk the 50 large. Both have trailers, but will be dry rack stored. Thanks.

kswest 04-09-2006 07:22 AM

Sunday morning bump.... I need your help OSO!

birdog 04-09-2006 08:28 AM

Just buy this....Made in Miami to run the Bahamas anytime you want..
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-8794.html

carrboy 04-09-2006 09:55 AM

Or this one,made not far from Miami but now it's way up here in NY..
.I will deliver!!!
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-8398.html

Catagory5 04-09-2006 10:40 AM

Buy the one you like better.

GOODT 04-09-2006 03:36 PM

buy the faster one...... Fountain

kswest 04-09-2006 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by carrboy
Or this one,made not far from Miami but now it's way up here in NY..
.I will deliver!!!
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-8398.html

Sell it to me for $50k and I'll take it. ;) :D

Good luck with the sale.

CAP071 04-09-2006 08:21 PM

I would buy a used Sunsation :D

kswest 04-09-2006 09:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the cracks on the Blue boat.

CAP071 04-09-2006 09:08 PM

Save your money and keep looking. it's a buyers market

kswest 04-10-2006 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by CAP071
Save your money and keep looking. it's a buyers market

That's always an option too.

berns29scarab 04-10-2006 07:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
before you buy anything, do yourself a favor and check out a 29 scarab. TRUST ME you thank me later. i looked at all kinds of 27-30 footers and the only other boat i woulda bought was a 28 Pantera. except they were a lil to pricey for me at the time.

lonestar382 04-10-2006 08:44 AM

I would buy the first boat, lower ours, trailer, and save some money to put towards maintenance or options. The cracks in the second one are in a weird spot?? Donzi is making some nice hardware these days, i have an 01' and thus far I think it is going to be a GREAT boat.

Corey

kswest 04-10-2006 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by lonestar382
I would buy the first boat, lower ours, trailer, and save some money to put towards maintenance or options. The cracks in the second one are in a weird spot?? Donzi is making some nice hardware these days, i have an 01' and thus far I think it is going to be a GREAT boat.

Corey

Both have a trailer. Price is about the same.

I am leaning toward the blue one. I am only planning on keeping it a few years before getting something bigger/nicer so I figure the one with the maintence already done is going to need less work over the few years I have it .. hence more time in the water.

How long do these 350 MAGs last?

Dean Ferry 04-10-2006 10:50 AM

KW,
I'll give you the guy in FWB, your Ph. # tomorrow, and you guys can talk about his Donzi, which is FLAWLESS. I've seen it and this guys is anal about all his toys. Looking forward to boating with you this season. :drink:
Dean

UNSANE 04-10-2006 12:56 PM

350 MAGS are pretty mild motors (300 prop hp) So I'm guessing that they can go about 1000 hours or more before you have to think about digging into them. On a boat like that, you should spin 21" Laser props which would put you in the mid 60's on a good day. Some of my fellow Stingray owners have procharged theirs with great results. They are running 25" props usually on those and getting into the mid 70's.

Undertaker 04-10-2006 01:00 PM

28ZX's spin 23 pitch mirage props run 70-72 MPH with no problem... That's how they come from the factory.

Undertaker

kswest 04-10-2006 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
KW,
I'll give you the guy in FWB, your Ph. # tomorrow, and you guys can talk about his Donzi, which is FLAWLESS. I've seen it and this guys is anal about all his toys. Looking forward to boating with you this season. :drink:
Dean

Great. I am going to drive the Blue one on Wed. morning.

Looking forward to getting together too ... :drink: :eek: I was jealous going over the causeways on Sat....so many boats out, so nice out.

kswest 04-10-2006 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by UNSANE
350 MAGS are pretty mild motors (300 prop hp) So I'm guessing that they can go about 1000 hours or more before you have to think about digging into them. On a boat like that, you should spin 21" Laser props which would put you in the mid 60's on a good day. Some of my fellow Stingray owners have procharged theirs with great results. They are running 25" props usually on those and getting into the mid 70's.

You sure? Stock it (28ZX) runs low 70s, it should be well over that procharged...

berns29scarab 04-10-2006 05:00 PM

my scarab ran a consistent 70 mph

UNSANE 04-10-2006 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by kswest
You sure? Stock it (28ZX) runs low 70s, it should be well over that procharged...

I wasn't thinking about the stepped hull, that adds a few mph. If it spins 23" props, that should push it just over the 70 mark depending on prop slip and peak rpm. I have a 350 in my Stingray and it's reached 64 so far on GPS. The engine came with a 6 year warranty as well.

kswest 04-10-2006 06:17 PM

I wasn't thinking about the stepped hull, that adds a few mph. If it spins 23" props, that should push it just over the 70 mark depending on prop slip and peak rpm. I have a 350 in my Stingray and it's reached 64 so far on GPS. The engine came with a 6 year warranty as well.

Either way ... still fast enough to scare te $h!t out of me the first few times out :D :evilb: :eek:

Dean Ferry 04-11-2006 09:01 AM

Kyle,
Here you go. http://joemras.tripod.com

Let me know if you have any questions about this boat, this is my last week up here in Ft. Walton Beach, so I can look @ something if you need me to.
Dean

kswest 04-12-2006 02:39 PM

I bought the blue one. I'll post some pics once I actually have it. Tenatively 4/22.

Thanks everyone.
Kyle

onesickpantera 04-12-2006 02:58 PM

Laser props on a 28' boat? :confused:

I'd say 23 Mirages will get you upper 60's and 25s will get you low 70s.

onesickpantera 04-12-2006 02:58 PM

I bought the blue one. I'll post some pics once I actually have it. Tenatively 4/22.

Thanks everyone.
Kyle

Cool, congats! :D

Dean Ferry 04-12-2006 03:22 PM

Kyle,
Congrats, can't wait to see it. I'm going to work on the Nordic this weekend so I can have it ready when you get the Donzi up to Harbortown! :D
Dean

kswest 04-12-2006 04:17 PM

Kyle,
Congrats, can't wait to see it. I'm going to work on the Nordic this weekend so I can have it ready when you get the Donzi up to Harbortown! :D
Dean

I am hoping to be up on the 23rd, but might have to put it off until the 30th :(

You going to do the Daytona Poker Run?

Kyle

Dean Ferry 04-12-2006 05:44 PM

I am hoping to be up on the 23rd, but might have to put it off until the 30th :(

You going to do the Daytona Poker Run?

Kyle

When is the Daytona Poker Run? I doubt that we'll be able to make it, I'm in the beginning of remodeling our masterbath, so that consumes alot of my time on the weekends. Plus, our next big boating outing is Memorial Day up on the St. John's River @ Hontoons! :D :drink: Are you getting a trailer with your new Donzi?
Dean

kswest 04-12-2006 05:54 PM

When is the Daytona Poker Run? I doubt that we'll be able to make it, I'm in the beginning of remodeling our masterbath, so that consumes alot of my time on the weekends. Plus, our next big boating outing is Memorial Day up on the St. John's River @ Hontoons! :D :drink: Are you getting a trailer with your new Donzi?
Dean

I don't have my calendar ... but I am pretty sure it is the weekend of the 21st, 22nd (May). The days may be off by one or two, but it is the weekend just before Memorial Day Weekend.

No trailer. It has one, but we made the deal without it. I drive a BMW 5 Series and the fiance has a BMW Z4 so I doubt we could even tow a jetski. Our plans are to just leave it at the marina. We can always hire someone to move it if it had to go too far.

Kyle

UNSANE 04-12-2006 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by noboat
Laser props on a 28' boat? :confused:

I'd say 23 Mirages will get you upper 60's and 25s will get you low 70s.

I looked at a 29' Scarab with 350's that had 21" Lasers on them.

onesickpantera 04-12-2006 08:36 PM

I looked at a 29' Scarab with 350's that had 21" Lasers on them.

Really? Not saying they won't work but those are small diameter props for smaller boats(I think merc says 21' and under).

BajaBennett 04-14-2006 08:31 PM

kswest,
Welcome to Merritt Island. Dean and I do a lot of boating together and it will be really great to have another performance boater in the area. Sounds like you will be in the area in a couple of weeks? Give us a shout and we will try to get together. Perhaps an adult beverage at HarborTown?

Dail

kswest 04-15-2006 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by BajaBennett
kswest,
Welcome to Merritt Island. Dean and I do a lot of boating together and it will be really great to have another performance boater in the area. Sounds like you will be in the area in a couple of weeks? Give us a shout and we will try to get together. Perhaps an adult beverage at HarborTown?

Dail

I should have it up here two weeks from today. I think I have Dean's number in a PM, I'll give you guys a call when I finally make it.

... Starts counting the hours ...

Enough 4 Play 04-15-2006 07:50 AM

Here are some pics of the cracks on the Blue boat.

That boat has seen some rough days to spider crack the cockpit inner liner like that.

yesrej 04-15-2006 09:31 AM

congrats on the boat. i always liked the 28zx., i looked at one when i was looking but they were too much cash for me at the time. good luck with her and i hope all goes well. i would have got the trailer though. and i think you made a good choice. i like the blue one.