8 year old boy in Florida needs your help >

8 year old boy in Florida needs your help

Notices

8 year old boy in Florida needs your help

Old 04-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 8 year old boy in Florida needs your help

The Treasure Coast Rodbenders is planning a Bash/Fundraiser some time in June/06 for Capt Bruce Hrobak's son Tanner. Eight year old Tanner was recently diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor and has undergone emergency surgery on Sunday April 16th. Could forum members advise if there are any major bashes/tournaments planned for June/06? We want to plan our fund raiser so as not to conflict with other planned events. We'd like various businesses (Guides, Charter Captains, fishing related retail establishments) to donate whatever they possibly can so that our club can raffle these items and help a fellow fisherman in his time of need. We would also invite other fishing clubs to participate and the tentative date/location is Saturday June 17th at Sandsprit Park. For those of you who don't know Capt. Bruce, he's a great guy with a heart of gold and has always been the first one to offer a donation of a rod/reel combo or other generous donation when someone else is in need. I look forward to your feedback and comments. Prayers and well wishes for Tanner's speedy recovery will also be appreciated.

Fraternally,

Jim Serra, Secretary, Treasure Coast Rod Benders

As a follow up to this post, I went to the hospital last Saturday to visit Tanner and his family. It was heart breaking to see this little boy, semi concious with feeding tubes in his nose and groin and a drain in his head where the surgery was performed. He's lost more than 10 per cent of his bodyweight and can't figure out why he's where he is. His parents are looking at monumental medical expenses along with other costs such as transportation to and from radiation treatments (60 plus miles each way, every day, for 42 consecutive days).

We have added a link to our fishing club's website(www.tcrodbenders.com) for "The Tanner Fund". We plan to have our Florida not for profit status in effect within the next few days as we are in existence only a couple of months. Please feel free to e mail any specific questions to me at [email protected].

Thank you for your support, Jim Serra
Old 04-24-2006, 10:54 PM
DJD
Registered

Jim
Thanks for checking in here. Offshoreonly is a great site with a whole lot of good hearted people! As you can see, there are several people already wanting to help out. My heart is broken thinking of Tanner and his family.
As I stated before, My 50 Bertram is "up for auction" with full crew in attendance and everyone will be working for free. I supply the boat, fuel, drinks and food.
Come on OSO, we've done it before, lets do it again. Help out a fellow boater in need. Bruse's wife has lost her job because of her leave (at the hospital) and I understand this will be costing them thousands per month to help their son.
It can be as little or as much as you can help. Everything counts!
Thank you
David Dall

Last edited by DJD; 04-24-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Registered

I wanted to give everyone here an update as to Tanner's condition. We found out earlier this evening that the cancer was idendified as a medulla blastoma which has about a 70 per cent cure rate. Hopefully he will be coming home in a few days and will begin a treatment regimen. I want to thank you for your generosity, concern for a fellow boater/fisherman and your prayers.

Thanks so much,
Old 05-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Registered

I wanted to keep everyone here updated as to Tanner's condition. He is now home from the hospital after a 22 day stay and has started his chemotherapy/radiation treatments as well as physical therapy. He has started to eat soft foods on a limited basis and needs a walker to get around. The family is experiencing tough times both emotionally and financially. If anyone cares to donate to this worthy cause, feel free to contact me in the following ways:
via e mail - [email protected]
via phone - 772-286-1071

We have created a web page dedicated to Tanner on our club's website (www.tcrodbenders.com).

Checks can be made out to Tanner Hrobak and mailed c/o Jim Serra, 2647 SW NUTCRACKER WAY, PALM CITY FL, 34990

Thank you for your care, prayers and generosity,

Old 05-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Registered

We now have a PayPal link on the Treasure Coast Rod Benders website. To donate, go to www.tcrodbenders.com. click on the Tanner Fund Tab on the left and the Pay Pal link will appear. Please indicate that you were made aware of the link on Offshore Only as I'm sure the family will want to express their gratitude. Thanks again, Jim Serra