Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What are the best power steering pumps? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129202-what-best-power-steering-pumps.html)

customryder 05-04-2006 08:20 AM

Re: What are the best power steering pumps?

Gino,
Call Dean Gellner Engineering Hes a great guy..& can hook you up with the best price. 216 398 8500

44MTI 05-04-2006 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Are you putting the Merc back on? If not do you want to sell it?

The boat came with Merc. 900sc, which I ran the first 2 yrs. Then last yr I put some quadrotor motors in, which I outfitted with all new KE products, Including the KRC pumps. Like I said they worked OK, and looked really cool, but they definately don't work as well as the Merc. Gary had told me they work fine for a rudder boat but not as well on a #6 boat and he was right. You get a these little pulses when trying to turn and you are just idling. Kinda like when you are low on powersterring fluid. I goes away once you are up and going.
I actually have a new boat on order, If it ever gets built, so I have just finished putting the Merc back in to trade in. I considered trying to swap the pumps so I could keep the merc, but couldn't do it, do to the trickle down rigging. hope this helps.

38flatdeck 05-04-2006 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
What are the best power steering pumps out there? I want to put one on my 2nd motor. Who has them?

How about Latham

Panther 05-04-2006 09:30 AM

How about this? http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-9108.html

SCARABJ 05-04-2006 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 42MTI
The boat came with Merc. 900sc, which I ran the first 2 yrs. Then last yr I put some quadrotor motors in, which I outfitted with all new KE products, Including the KRC pumps. Like I said they worked OK, and looked really cool, but they definately don't work as well as the Merc. Gary had told me they work fine for a rudder boat but not as well on a #6 boat and he was right. You get a these little pulses when trying to turn and you are just idling. Kinda like when you are low on powersterring fluid. I goes away once you are up and going.
I actually have a new boat on order, If it ever gets built, so I have just finished putting the Merc back in to trade in. I considered trying to swap the pumps so I could keep the merc, but couldn't do it, do to the trickle down rigging. hope this helps.

never had a problem with my krc that came on my eickerts....2 #6's on one pump i can steer it at idle with one finger....they do have a interchangeable orifice to increase volume...i do not know what one is in mine

44MTI 05-04-2006 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by SCARABJ
never had a problem with my krc that came on my eickerts....2 #6's on one pump i can steer it at idle with one finger....they do have a interchangeable orifice to increase volume...i do not know what one is in mine

I ordered everything from KE, including the interchangable piece. It came with which ever one was the largest, don't remember the sizes. Like I said it worked ok, but not as well as the Merc. If you do the math on what the #6 sterring requires and the max that pump is capable of, they are very close. The merc pump has a much higher capacity.
Not knocking the system, as I have two brand new sets, which I will probably put on the new boat. But if I were buying them again, I would buy the mercs.

WeaponX 05-04-2006 02:57 PM

KRC works great on my 6's

Too Old 05-04-2006 03:43 PM

No one mentioned Marine Machine????

Nice pump. ;)

Too Old 05-04-2006 03:47 PM

Or this which is in testing and will be released shortly......

Johnny DCB 05-04-2006 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
Or this which is in testing and will be released shortly......

Does that reservoir bold directly to the KRC pump?I believe thats the deal I'm waiting on right now to finish off my motor.