Determine who insures a company >

Determine who insures a company

Notices

Determine who insures a company

Old 05-05-2006, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Determine who insures a company

as many know a boat manufacturer screwed up my boat when sent there for repairs, we are in the middle of litigation, but it is the "drag it out forever" stage. It just hit me that I may be able to file a claim with their insurance company, and side step this legal crap.

So the question is, can you file a claim with someone else's insurance carrier, and if so, how would you determine which company was the insurance carrier?

Anyone with experience on this? Thanks!!
Old 05-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Registered

Default Re: Determine who insures a company

As an individual, no. Their insurance company is in place to cover their insured (paying customers) against loss. Maybe this boat company has coverage against defective repair work (probably not), but the boat company would have to file the claim with their insurance company. (that would be a strange call - hey mr. insurance company - we just screwed up a boat repair - will you cover my loss?)

Have you filed a claim with your insurance company? That's who insures your property. If you can prove your insured property was damaged, you may have cause to contact your insurance company and start a claim. They will send you in circles with talk of exclusions, but with alot of persistance, they have to listen to your arguements. And in the end, you may win the arguement. If they do pay out, they may decide to go after the company or its insurer, but then it is their battle not yours.

Good luck - unfortunately there may be no easy path.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Registered

Dean,

I'm not a lawyer but I don't think you are going to get anywhere with insurance companies. If you do try it, the way to go is to start with your insurance and they will investigate what insurance other party has. In the meantime you'll have an active claim going and it could end up raising your rates.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Registered

we had a boat last year that a shop rebuilt two 454s in and screwed them up so bad they had been out of the boat so many time everything should of had quick connects, any way there ins company was paying the bill for us to replace them