Notices

Trailering question?

Old 01-20-2002, 08:26 AM
JHR

Post Trailering question?

Many thanks to all who responded in reference to my question regarding a slip vs. trailering. Nice Sunsation Jeff " Shweet boat". Mr. Gadgets your the man. Another question regarding trailering if I go that route. When trailering a boat what happen ie if you are trailering to the marina and there are some side street to get there and you go into a turn and realize Holy s--t I cant make the turn with these cars there etc I have some apprehension when it comes to this situation especially being a female Dont laugh guys. I also appreciate the many offers I have been getting from some of you guys in upstate ny to offer to help me this summer I might take some of you up on it. I buy the wings and beer fellas. No problem. So if anyone can offer how not to get into these positions when trailering fire some replies off to me
Thanks
Janie

Old 01-20-2002, 08:45 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jane, all you can do is practice and become familiar with where you are going to pull it.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:50 AM
turbo2256

Ok it happens to all of us mostly do to other people. I have been blocked in at gas stations. Cussed at fliped the bird mostly by ignorant people not being knowelege able and in a hury. Most people that tow stuf are kool about your situation. Major problem will be backing up. Mirrors are the bigest help there as well as pratcice and don't forget the drain plug.

Old 01-20-2002, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's best to 'look before you leap' when trailering- in other words before entering a side street, gas station, etc., make sure there is a way out without having to back up. We scope out gas stations and such on the way to marinas, especially new ones to see if there is room for the truck and boat to be fueled without hassles. If you get stuck on a side street, see if you can go all the way around the block without backing.
Look for churches, schools, and empty parking lots to turn around in if you happen to get stuck.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:53 AM
Mike Shaak

I trailer all the time, it does take a lot of patience and practice, but you do have to be in a differant mind set when you have the rig behind you. Try to know, the best that you can, what you're going to get into, and adjust to it. Sooner or later you'll get into something that just plain stinks, just take your time, relax, and you'll be just fine.

Old 01-20-2002, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jane:
Like anything else the more you practice the more comfortable you'll become with it. The best thing to do is take your truck, and trailer, go to a BIG empty parking lot and put up a few cones spend a few hours driving in and out of them and parking with them. Go slow, and you'll get there. Bottom line if you can pull in you can pull out ! But until you get to that comfort level it is easier to scout out places, and times in advance if possible of where, and when to go. No reason to be to your local boat rampfirst thing in the am if there's gonna be 20 guys waiting to put there fishing boats in, wait till they're gone. It's also a lot simpler to stop, pull over and walk into a lot, or side street, and look before you go so you don't get stuck. Good Luck

Doug
Old 01-20-2002, 09:14 AM
Registered

Jane,

That is a lot of good advice from people who have obviously "been there - done that".

Towed my 31 over 6,000 miles last summer and the situations you can get into are amazing. Practice and patience are certainly the key along with a good sense of humor.

Good luck and have fun.

LT
Old 01-20-2002, 09:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Dont go too fast.
Look Ahead.
Allow for extra stopping time
Swing out wide on sharp turns.
Its good to have a second person just incase you have to back up where it may be tight.
Use the mirrors when backing up, try to avoid looking over your sholder unless you cant see. Avoid switching from one to the other. Pick one and go with it. Go slow in reverse and keep an eye on the rear of the trailer like the fender or tail lights. Dont look at the boat.

Agian on corners SWING WIDE. My wife can tell you about not swinging wide. (People should not have fences anyhow).

Ray
Old 01-20-2002, 10:17 AM

My recommendation for trailering....

1. Plan
2. Plan
3. Plan
4. ALWAYS swing wide.
5. Try to scope out new ramps before taking your boat there.
6. Familiarize yourself with traffic patterns at a ramp before entering the fray.
7. Stay cool when things don't go right.
8. Rehearse your procedure
9. Have a mental checklist you run through.
10. Make up a buzzword that reminds you of the things you have to do. like 'SCOD' - 'Safety Chain Out Drive', when pulling out.
11. Don't get too upset when someone pulls in ahead of you.
12. Don't be afriad to run your trailer down the ramp when launching if you were clearly waiting to launch before some bozo rips into the dock then runs off to get his truck and trailer to pull out. I've done it a few times and ran my boat right down the ramp in front of someone that pulled up after I'd waited a long time to launch. Like anything else, you're going to find some people that think only of themseleves, but most people abide by the unwritten rule, first come first serve.

the list goes on and on...

I'm sure others can add more...

- jeff

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: JeffreyBoy ]

Old 01-20-2002, 10:47 AM
Vonbongo

Always remember...two wrongs don't make a right..........but 3 lefts do!!!

that's my #1 rule when I am in a tight turning spot.

Quick Reply: Trailering question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.