Default Re: Launching secrets

Use a fork lift!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Be careful on going too deep on a new ramp (ask first), some of them drop off suddenly, especially river ramps. I have seen people get their trailer stuck this way.
Very true. I do this by easing back slowly, and watching the fenders. I have dropped a trailer off before; WITH a boat on it, and it SUCKS. Just ease in slowly, and keep your foot on the brake. If you see the forward axle falling off the ramp; stop immediately, and place the tow vehicle in forward and pull forward as the rubber of the tires are still touching the ramp, and before the tires fall off completely landing the rails of the trailer on the end of the ramp.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree on the front strap and safety chain.

Be careful on going too deep on a new ramp (ask first), some of them drop off suddenly, especially river ramps. I have seen people get their trailer stuck this way.
Very good point with the checking the ramp out first, or asking the condition. Had a bad experience with a buddies boat and his less that capable tow vehicle. He backed the trailer in to far, fell off the ramp, and got the rails to lay flat on the concrete. Needless to say it was a lot of wasted drinking time after we got done boating, lol.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

My trailer is a tripple axle all aluminum. It floats. Wasn't looking for that the first time out. I wish it would sink. I think it would make loading easier. I have to put it in the water till it floats then let my wife pull ontill the boat starts to contact the bunks. Then I just have to push the trailer on under the boat. We get along pretty good now. Thought about adding weight but dont want the extra load to haul and who knows how much it would take.

Also agree with Sydwayz. NEVER unhook your winch untill the boat is at the water. I've see too many pics of nice toys sitting on their transom on the ramp.

Happy boating. Jerry.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Registered

Defineately get the bunks wet first this helps tremendously!!!!!!!
To load it accurately on the bunks I have to back the trailer way into the water, this seems to be the easiest too.
It takes a few times to get the hang of it but dont be afraid to take your time!!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry B
My trailer is a tripple axle all aluminum. It floats. Wasn't looking for that the first time out. I wish it would sink. I think it would make loading easier. I have to put it in the water till it floats then let my wife pull ontill the boat starts to contact the bunks. Then I just have to push the trailer on under the boat. We get along pretty good now. Thought about adding weight but dont want the extra load to haul and who knows how much it would take.

Also agree with Sydwayz. NEVER unhook your winch untill the boat is at the water. I've see too many pics of nice toys sitting on their transom on the ramp.

Happy boating. Jerry.
I had a floating trailer too. Do a search here on OSO for how I fixed it. Basically, I bolted 4 - 50 lb. dumbells to the I-beams with U-bolts. Worked perfect. I later rebuilt the bunks and added some weight and was able to take off 2 of the 4 50 lb. dumbells.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
First, I am going to diasagree with Panther on his step 2.
It was meant to be a joke.

But yes, I always back down the ramp first. Get the motors running, then release the winch.

Just don't forget to release it when you're ready to dunk it in the rest of the way because you may follow in my foot steps!
Old 05-26-2006, 11:31 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Approach things as fast as you want to hit them.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At a new ramp I back slowly until I see the boat move a little, in my case that is when the trailer fenders are at, or 1-2 " below the water line.

Be sure to take off the back straps before doing this

Some ramps are not level below the water line, so you may have to make a couple of tries to get a level spot.

The ramps that are not level under water are not level because of powerloading. The wash from your prop digs a big hole that will not fill back in naturally. So, unless the ramp you use has concrete going very deep. Don't powerload.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:56 PM

Some people are to lazy to NOT powerload.
Plus it's hard on there truck, just watch the truck move while someone is powerloading, even with it in park and the parking brake is on.

Quick Reply: Launching secrets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.