Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Price of fuel - impact on boat market? >

Price of fuel - impact on boat market?

Notices

Price of fuel - impact on boat market?

Old 07-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Re: Price of fuel - impact on boat market?

Originally Posted by el indio
Cash is king!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hang on to it.Intrest rates are going up..............
But its hard to put a dollar figure on a great day in your boat !

Especially if both engines are running at sundown
Old 07-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Filled up the tank the weekend before the SCOPE trip from Newport to San Diego.......UGH! Added another 150 gallons in San Diego for the return trip.

YOU FKN TRAITOR, THATS NOT FROM THE SHELL OIL DOCK THAT GIVES US THE SCOPE DISCOUNT
Old 07-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ratman
im dealing with the higher gas prices by installing blower motors i think prices will drop after the ahole in iran gets whacked
Don't forget the J-azz in N. Korea!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING
YOU FKN TRAITOR, THATS NOT FROM THE SHELL OIL DOCK THAT GIVES US THE SCOPE DISCOUNT

They give a SCOPE discount too......something like the 5,000 - 10,000 gallon price.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

I think it's definitely affecting the market NOW. I've had a couple of bits on my Nordic, but nothing serious, now I'm trying Ebay!
I think it's only going to get worse!
Dean
Old 07-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive noticed that besides affecting the market gas prices affect the way people go boating. Lately just about everyone I know that has a big/cruiser type boat, now has a small center console/jet boat or little toy that they use 90% of the time. Alot of people just fire up there boats and idle out of the marina, go swimming, then park it again. People are not cruising as much or going places.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_H
for what its worth. the number of boats on loto over memorial weekend was the least ive ever seen. probably 70 % less then years past and im not exaggerating....
I've noticed MUCH less boat traffic on Long Island Sound too, very disturbing
Old 07-06-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gas prices have slowed boating here at SML. This past weekend July 4 th. waas the slowest I have seen our lake for ever for a 4 th of july.

WILL
Old 07-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

For the smaller family boat types, none whatsoever. Gas prices are up, but the economy is cookin' hence the rising interest rates.

I think maybe trailer sales will go up as folks pull their boats out of the fairly pricey boatels and such. Trailer them to the local gas station (cheaper gas) save boatel fees, and viola! You actually end up with cash in your pockets.

We pizz away so much money on other minutia items in life like digital cable and other items around the house or in the trucks/autos that are not necessary (meaning just for show) that if you really loved the boating life you would give something up to make more room in your budgets for a little spike in gas. How about a Boat US membership to get an extra 5-10% off the marina gas pumps?

If you're a performance boater you're already into some money whether it be bling-bling; searching for the perfect prop waste; repairs; trips; numerous overnights at marina's; etc. etc. I would think if this spike backs you in a corner, you're probably over your head anyway and have been. You should either go down in size/expense, or get out and let someone else play your boat to get you out of hock.

As I always state to the local bubba's when they complain, put up or go down, or get out of it.

Last edited by Reckless32; 07-06-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by chuck21401
I'm looking for a 27-29 performance boat...late 80s early 90s...the prices on the boats I'm looking at haven't moved much if at all. I guess these boats are on the bottom of the depreciation curve. As I look at the price of gas on the water a 27 single engine boat probably makes more sense than a 29 with twins.
Want a 1987 Stinger 260 with twin sbcs?
15k on a trailer, everything works. Brand new exhausts and trailer tires. 28.5 LOA.

But my real answer... hence making this NOT a classified ad.... is that I think that the industry boom put an unprecedented amount of inventory in the boat market in the late eighties through the 90s.

I think that the inventory glut is a bigger factor than gas prices at this time.

Gas availability will have a much greater cooling effect than a dollar bump in street price.

Quick Reply: Price of fuel - impact on boat market?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.