Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: One of my Labs has cancer

Old 05-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I feel for you Robert. I'm having a very hard time dealing with the loss of my best friend Monroe. I miss him badly.

Dogs are the best. I like them much better than people.

Kurt
Old 05-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

We put our two Goldens down 5 and 6 years ago at age 13 and 14. They were our best buddies and a really big part of our lives. Dying is one of the prices paid by creatures who have the privilege of life. And knowing that as owners and friends we had done everything possible to make our dogs happy while they were alive somehow made their deaths easier to accept. It's not that I dont miss them, we both do, but I accepted their deaths as part of the natural cycle.

I wish you the best of luck. But whatever happens remember that dogs bring humans great joy while they are with us - pleasing their owners is what seems to make dogs the most happy. So I try to honor their lives by remembering the joy that they brought to us and by not dwelling too long on the grief and loss of their passing.

Last edited by Marginmn; 05-31-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stole this from one of r'Addiction's posts he posted a wile back. When I read it the first time, the last section brought tears to my eyes since we put down our 13 year old Cocker last year and I wasn't there I'll never make that mistake again.

My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years or more. Any separation from you will be painful.
Give me time to understand what you want from me. Don't break my spirit with your temper, though I will always forgive you. Your patience will teach me more effectively.
Please have me spayed or neutered.
Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for your kindness than mine. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. After all, you have your job, your friends, your entertainment, I only have you.
Speak to me often. Even if I don't understand your words, I
understand your voice when it's speaking to me. Your voice is the sweetest sound I ever hear, as you must know by my enthusiasm whenever I hear your footsteps.
Take me in when it's cold and wet. I'm a domestic animal and am no longer accustomed to the bitter elements. I ask for little more than your gentle hands petting me. Keep my bowl filled with water. Feed me good food so that I may stay well to romp and play. By your side, I stand ready, willing and able to share my life with you, for that is what I live for.
I'll never forget how well you've treated me.
Don't hit me. Remember, I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite.
Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long, my ear may hurt, or my heart may be getting weak.
Take care of me when I get old. For you will grow old, too.
When I am old, or when I no longer enjoy good health, please do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having fun. Just see to it that my trusting life is taken gently. And be with me on that difficult journey when it's time to say goodbye. Never say, "I just can't bear to watch it." Everything is easier for me when you are there. I will leave this earth knowing with my last breath that my fate was always safest in your hands. I love you.

Sorry about your pooch, screen's getting a little blurry....
Old 05-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain. I had to put my Springer Spaniels down last year. I had them both since pups and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. We had 14 great years with them.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Robert, my thoughts are with you and your dog. I had a Bulldog go through Lymphnode Caner back in 1981 when I was in High School. I have a 15 year old Shih Tzu right now that is unbelievably healthy and active. I know he only has a few more years at the best but god I love him and he is such a huge part of my life.
Mike
Old 06-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a cat that was diagnosed with cancer and we decided to make a try of it. She damn near cost as much as a boat now. Midway through the treatments we said never again. In the vet hospital 2 or 3 times a week, force feeding her, forcing her to drink, etc. She did not want to live. Well she made it and they give her a year at most.

The decision we made was, if were one of us, what would we want done? Only you can answer that question. My opinion, and anyone else's, does not matter.

Good luck, do your best, it is very tough.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that, Robert......Hard thing to do....

Like Kurt said...I like them more than most people.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Just remember...All dogs go to Heaven!!!

We had to put our girl Sambuca to sleep last fall. I sure do miss her. Most definately the hardest thing that I've ever done....still not over it. You are in our prayers.

Craig and Nancy
Attached Thumbnails One of my Labs has cancer-snow-dog.jpg  
Old 06-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear the bad news. It is difficult to fathom losing such a loyal friend. Enjoy the moments you have left with her. Your in our thoughts, take care

Quick Reply: One of my Labs has cancer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.