Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Machanic and long block 502 needed in VA >

Machanic and long block 502 needed in VA

Notices

Machanic and long block 502 needed in VA

Old 06-04-2006, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Machanic and long block 502 needed in VA

I have a Baja 342 with 502s here Virginia Beach, VA. Was out today it was running about 4000 RPMs and suddenly STBD motor temp went up and oil pressure dropped to about 20 psi. I shut it down as soon as I saw this. Let it cool down, checked the oil and oil was fine. Started back up and now it has a rattle. I am guessing the oil pump went and took a bearing with it.

Any ideas on what happened or an easy fix? How hard is it to swap the motor out? I build cars all the time so I am guessing that it is similar but not the same. Do I need to find a boat mechanic to help or is this something that the great people here can help me through.

Also where is a good place to pick up a 502 magnum long block? I figure the one that is in there could be rebuilt but the long block will probably be the fastest fix.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

Default Re: Machanic and long block 502 needed in VA

I had one do that las weekend, ran fine, shut it down no problems, went to restart and rattle from hell. Call 1800runsnew, they have them in stock, best price and take credit cards.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:51 PM

Wow, $5390. This just became an expencive weekend. Is there any issue running one new motor and one old?
Old 06-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Registered

no issuses run new and old, the 5390.00 does not include install plugs oil cap rotor ect
Old 06-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cheaper to pull yours and fix it. just the down time in summer.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
cheaper to pull yours and fix it. just the down time in summer.
That is what I was thinking. I think that I am going to pull it out and take a look. Maybe it just needs bearings and an oil pump. If the crank looks good. The oil on the dip stick looks fine. When I started it back up it smelled like gear oil under the engine hatch though. Is there anything else that it could be other than the motor? The oil doesn't smell burnt, it smells weird, like gear oil.

Also what do you use to get the motor out? My hoist is nowhere near that tall. I am thinking of a tree like the old days.

Where do you get marine engine internal parts online?

What is involved in getting the motor out? 2 motor mounts and then the bolts around the back? Anyone have the name of a good book that I can pick up that covers removal and rebuild?

Last edited by duksrule; 06-04-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

pull the drive ,take the four bolts off unplug the harness, and disconnect cables anr it should be ready. needs a tall hoist to pull it, maybe a forklift.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by duksrule
Wow, $5390. This just became an expencive weekend. Is there any issue running one new motor and one old?
send it to N.J. p.apache can fix it
Old 06-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by duksrule
I have a Baja 342 with 502s here Virginia Beach, VA. Was out today it was running about 4000 RPMs and suddenly STBD motor temp went up and oil pressure dropped to about 20 psi. I shut it down as soon as I saw this. Let it cool down, checked the oil and oil was fine. Started back up and now it has a rattle. I am guessing the oil pump went and took a bearing with it.

Any ideas on what happened or an easy fix? How hard is it to swap the motor out? I build cars all the time so I am guessing that it is similar but not the same. Do I need to find a boat mechanic to help or is this something that the great people here can help me through.

Also where is a good place to pick up a 502 magnum long block? I figure the one that is in there could be rebuilt but the long block will probably be the fastest fix.

Thanks.

You need to try to atleast pin point the prob. is the oil pressure still low now that it cooled off?,maybe have some one listen to it before you pull it out,around here local marina will pull motor with there forklift.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:02 AM

It is a bearing. While this is the first boat motor I have tinkered with, I have been building motors for a long time. Oil pessure is way low and it has the knock of a spun bearing. I don't want to start it back up and take a chance of scoring the crank. I am hoping that it is just a bearing and a new set of standard bearings and oil pump with fix it. Then again that may all change when I get it out and get the pan off.

Quick Reply: Machanic and long block 502 needed in VA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.