Your experience with boat liners

Notices

Your experience with boat liners

Old 06-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Your experience with boat liners

Originally Posted by spk1
Honestly, if they would let you put a huge tarp full of chlorinated water under you boat, I do not see where this air dock system storm rider found wouldnt be acceptable. Go into the managers office with a couple cases of bud light and talk it over with him, and take a brochure so he know what it looks like.
With the hydrohoist, offered the manager 1K cash to close his eyes yesterday, didn't work. I doubt bud light will work. I will call about the storm rider, but everytime you say offshore, they start getting rude, I think also flushing is an issue for these guys.

Chris
Old 06-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would see if the air dock is an option. Even if they are to get a hole they sink straite not crooked like a hydro hoist can if they have a leek in one of their chambers.

I have launched as large as a 38 footer solo before. I actually find it easier to do it solo then when people try and help me.

Jon
Old 06-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 3,018 Likes on 987 Posts

Chris, what harbor do you want to keep the boat in?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
Chris, what harbor do you want to keep the boat in?
Tank,

Either CI or Ventura at this point:

I have called all of the ones at CI:

Vintage Marina
Peninsula Marina
Anacapa Isle Marina
VC Small Boat Marina
Channel Islands Landing

NOTHING - no airlifts of any kind except boat liners.

Ventura my father called on, same thing, a few marinas towards the back of the harbor, but no airlifts.

The problem is this Tank, I know MDR will do it, a lot of the hydro hoists down there. But I don't want to move the boat there, great waves, but boring and nowhere to go. Plus, the traffic sucks from Woodland Hills. I like the challenge of CI, the islands, Ricnon, SB, you know, I don't have to sell you.

The blister issue will be a no go for me at this point. I am researching "electrifying" all of my winches and jacks on the trailer, and then seeing if that will take the burden off. Also I could do some redesign on the winch mount to make it easier to launch and retreive as well.

I am also trying to convince the big guy to get back into the big boat twin screw, bottom paint game. I love the late 80's Tollycrafts. So I told him, buy one, park it at MDR, and we can have a condo at MDR, and a fire breather in dry storage for the big waves at CI.

We will see.

Any other ideas though?

Chris
Old 06-14-2006, 04:07 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Chrisf, what do you have for drives?
Can you just bottom paint the boat, and re-gel after a few yrs of inwater use? I could see this being an option unless you have external steering.
Tabs could be cleaned weekly.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 3,018 Likes on 987 Posts

Chris, don't walk away from the hoist idea just yet.
I know for a fact the marina at the corner of Spinnaker and Harbor in Ventura Harbor let's hoist be used. My buddy kept his 40 Hallet on one for two years. and had a 36 Nordic on it prior to that. There was also Don Johnsons old KV Scarab hoisted for ever in front of The Greek restaraunt.

You should also think about getting a dock from a private party. I know a few people who have homes in Mandalay Bay with out boats. I can ask around and see if they'd be interested in renting dock space. You should start driving around the harbor homes and door knocking to see if anyones interested in renting a dock. They're out there, I can assure you of it.

Is your boat currently at the dry storage off of Victoria? I think I saw it in there this week. Were you running this weekend? I heard someone out there running.

Last edited by thisistank; 06-14-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Never heard of a system like this. Hell, with my old boat, I was too lazy to trailer everytime, so I kept it in the (fresh)water, but I used it 6 days a week.
It really sounds like a PITA to me, but I understand why you're investigating it, and I'd probably do the same thing.

Good luck in your search.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
Chris, don't walk away from the hoist idea just yet.
I know for a fact the marina at the corner of Spinnaker and Harbor in Ventura Harbor let's hoist be used. My buddy kept his 40 Hallet on one for two years. and had a 36 Nordic on it prior to that. There was also Don Johnsons old KV Scarab hoisted for ever in front of The Greek restaraunt.

You should also think about getting a dock from a private party. I know a few people who have homes in Mandalay Bay with out boats. I can ask around and see if they'd be interested in renting dock space. You should start driving around the harbor homes and door knocking to see if anyones interested in renting a dock. They're out there, I can assure you of it.

Is your boat currently at the dry storage off of Victoria? I think I saw it in there this week. Were you running this weekend? I heard someone out there running.
Great idea Tank on the private homes, thanks for the help, I will look into it as well. Already called Ventura per your suggestion, and those big boys paid boat yard fees to launch and retreive, like $150 each way. I guess Don Johnson can afford to keep his trailer clean for that $ because I sure can't.

Yes, my pink and purple 272 is assed back into Victoria Ave in that lot and yes, that was me last weekend. Everyone tends to hear me, even one of my employees who was at Rincon beach last last weekend heard me, and I was 3-4 miles out.

You want to hear something that sucks? Brought a friend out with me Saturday morning, started going to the Anacapa, pretty rough seas, he blew out his knee on a wave about a mile off the gas platform. He was in sheer pain, looked like he was going in to shock, had to turn back. Felt bad for him, and ruined my day.

Ever have that before?

Stormrider - 502 Mag (no mufflers, choice exhaust) with Bravo I outdrive, spinning Mirage Plus 23P, looking for a Bravo 4 blade 24P (maybe labbed)

Chris
Old 06-14-2006, 06:48 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Bottom painting an option?

Anyone know how much it would cost to re gel the hull later on?

Anyways, i think the private home idea is a great way to go.
Good luck in your hunt.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Bottom painting an option?

Anyone know how much it would cost to re gel the hull later on?

Anyways, i think the private home idea is a great way to go.
Good luck in your hunt.
It is an option I would consider, as long as like you said it could be removed on resale. When I looked for boats, I discounted anything with bottom paint. I even test drove one, drove fine, just didn't look like an offshore. Had growth all over the outdrive, owner did not even have the bottom cleaned before I looked, great marketing HUH?

An option though, just not a great slam dunk one.

Chris

Quick Reply: Your experience with boat liners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.